GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it common for dealers to drive the vehicle to the destination when they do a trade? I would think it's better to flatbed and save on mileage/wear'n'tear from highway driving over long distances (150+ miles), however, I understand there would be an associated cost (whether pushed to the customer or covered by the dealer).

What has everyone's experience been with this? How has the dealer procured your vehicle when they source it from another dealer a long distance away?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
I am buying a Traverse on Tuesday that is 200 miles away. They are driving it here and it's costing about $400 in expenses to the dealer to do that. I would imagine flat-bedding it would be way more. If a buyer wanted to foot the bill I'm sure they would flat-bed it, but otherwise, yes it's common to drive it. The dealer will usually let you know this ahead of time and warn you that there will be the miles on the car when you receive it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I left the dealer, we had locked in an equinox that was in NJ (I live in PA). After they later told me the vehicle was unavailable and ultimately found another, it didn't occur to me that it would be so far away and unfortunately, they weren't upfront about it until I probed too late.

I thought manufacturers recommend not to drive consistent highway speeds for at least 750-1000 miles (break-in period). It just bugs me a bit that I spent $30k+ on a brand new vehicle, that some young kid drove most likely, from VA to PA on the highway.

Oh well, I will better look out in the future. Everything is a learning experience I guess!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
Unless they are transferring 3 or more vehicles at the same time...paying someone to drive it is much cheaper than getting a tow/using a car carrier. I wouldn't worry about the constant highway speeds...unless they are driving it across remote sections of west Texas, Montana etc...it won't be possible to maintain a constant speed for very long. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
931 Posts
Here in Indiana there is a network of drivers(usually retired folks) hired(by the receiving dealership) to drive Dealer trades from one dealership to another(within a several state area). It seems the cost is either figured in the trade-in deal..or absorbed by the dealships in some other way. In any event...a fee for this doesn't show in the paperwork. I've traded cars every several years..or sooner over the past 40 years..and only one dealer trade was shipped by flatbed from another dealership(2007 Solstice GXP). That service was offered by the dealership...and also..showed no additional cost on paper. However..I had a hot low mileage truck as trade-in that was sold as soon as I signed the papers. It is for certain that the dealership makes their money back somehow. Around here..a dealer trade is always offered before a factory order is discussed. Perhaps the inventory trade ...sales turnover....taxes...and other dealer lot costs makes it beneficial for many dealerships to do this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
anthonyjd81 said:
When I left the dealer, we had locked in an equinox that was in NJ (I live in PA). After they later told me the vehicle was unavailable and ultimately found another, it didn't occur to me that it would be so far away and unfortunately, they weren't upfront about it until I probed too late.

I thought manufacturers recommend not to drive consistent highway speeds for at least 750-1000 miles (break-in period). It just bugs me a bit that I spent $30k+ on a brand new vehicle, that some young kid drove most likely, from VA to PA on the highway.

Oh well, I will better look out in the future. Everything is a learning experience I guess!
I think you'll be ok. I know that the people that drive the cars take very good care of them and don't treat them like a rental car!
but I think the dealer should have told you ahead of time that they were going to swap for your car and that it would have those additional miles on it.

Mine is coming Monday from about 200 miles away, I'm not worried about the way they drive it, or the break-in. It will not be at a constant speed much during that drive. Passing cars, slowing down, construction, etc.... the car will be up and down quite a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
Personally, I'd request it to be on a flat bed. It's not exactly a deal breaker but I'd still prefer it. Or, you could use the miles as a bargaining chip in your overall price. Might be worth a few hundred bucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,271 Posts
Sumr616 said:
Personally, I'd request it to be on a flat bed. It's not exactly a deal breaker but I'd still prefer it. Or, you could use the miles as a bargaining chip in your overall price. Might be worth a few hundred bucks.
Warranty starts from in service date and the miles on vehicle at thet date and time
wouldn't worry about a few miles on the vehicle...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
Warranty starts from in service date and the miles on vehicle at thet date and time
wouldn't worry about a few miles on the vehicle...
I find that even though I work at a dealership, I still have to remind them that when reporting the purchase to GM, to input the total miles on the vehicle at the time of purchase, so that my 36K gets extended to the proper miles. I believe the maximum is 499 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
We have

had to have our last two cars transferred because we had specific things we wanted. In our are it appears that if the distance is greater than some mileage (I believe 250) there is a charge that shows up separately. This most recent vehicle was about 150 miles away so there was no charge.

I would guess the cost of a 400-500 mile roundtrip for a flatbed would be $500 - $1,000.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top