GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all-

Currently in the market for two replacement vehicles, one for me and one for Mom. We have narrowed our search to either a Terrain SLT-2 w/ V6 or a Subaru Outback R3.6 Premium. Prices are roughly in the same ballpark, slightly less for the Terrain (thanks Dad for the retiree discount :)

Test drove the Terrain yesterday, loved the handling, interior space, features, etc. The V6 seemed a might underpowered with the A/C going full blast, but then I'm coming from a Sierra 2500 Duramax so EVERYTHING will feel a little slow I guess LOL.

Anyway tomorrow we go check out the Subaru lot to compare. It's a bit difficult as I've always been a GM buyer and "Buy American" believer, but I figure that since the Terrain is assembled in Ontario, it's not 100% American either. I'd rather stay with GMC but the Outback makes a pretty compelling case, especially considering resale value.

Just wondering if anyone here is a former or current Outback owner and has any insights on pros/cons of each platform. Specifically:

1. How does either vehicle perform in mild off-road situations? No mudding, just smooth to rough gravel roads, and unplowed snow.

2. How does build quality compare?

Our needs: I need to go back to an SUV...my Sierra is awesome but I need a little enclosed cargo space when hauling folks and I don't want to stick a cap on the back. Mom is trading in her 2008 Malibu, a great little car with excellent fuel economy but just a little too short for easy entry/exit. We live in an area of unmaintained gravel roads so those can get rutted/potholed or snowed-in during the winter, and need a vehicle that can handle occasional snow and ice. I would get the V6 for my over-mountain cross-country trips, but Mom could probably go 4 cylinders.

Thanks in advance!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
931 Posts
Why not look up a comparison of the Terrain and Outback on the internet..? That would give you reviews of both versus each other. I've done that with the Equinox compared to about every other 2010 CUV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
I researched and test drove nearly all the import competition (except for Subaru) before I got my Nox, and came to the conclusion that the fit/finish and standard equipment was either equal to or better than anything else I looked at. As far as offroading, I don't any unibody vehicle with either FWD or automatic AWD is made for any real rough stuff....but I did recently take my Nox to the family hunting compound in West Texas, and that includes about 2 miles of rutted out road consisting of packed clay, gravel and patches of deep beach sand. The Nox handled it all with flying colors...and I have the 2WD version. The first week I had my Nox we got some heavy snow (heavy for north Texas at least) and the combination of FWD, traction/stability control and ABS made it very easy to drive on sloppy roads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, I've checked out a few places where there's been comparisons of current crossover SUVs. Seems like the Equinox/Terrain and the Outback are the leading contenders mentioned in most places.

What I was really hoping to find was some feedback from current/previous Outback owners who are now Terrain or Equinox owners. Maybe there aren't too many just yet, with these models being fairly new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NoobNox said:
I researched and test drove nearly all the import competition (except for Subaru) before I got my Nox, and came to the conclusion that the fit/finish and standard equipment was either equal to or better than anything else I looked at. As far as offroading, I don't any unibody vehicle with either FWD or automatic AWD is made for any real rough stuff....but I did recently take my Nox to the family hunting compound in West Texas, and that includes about 2 miles of rutted out road consisting of packed clay, gravel and patches of deep beach sand. The Nox handled it all with flying colors...and I have the 2WD version. The first week I had my Nox we got some heavy snow (heavy for north Texas at least) and the combination of FWD, traction/stability control and ABS made it very easy to drive on sloppy roads.
Thanks NoobNox... sounds like the Terrain should have similar performance. We have only mild off-road and winter conditions to contend with (even the ol' Malibu was fine with the traction control) so not too worried. It's just nice to hear what kinds of conditions and obstacles other folks are driving through.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
The Outback isnt too bad of a vehicle. I actually like the look of them. Ive heard the actual MPG is far less than desirable but if you want a very capable AWD vehicle, the Outback is that.

The Terrain's AWD system is supposedly good but its not going to be an off roader like the Outback would be.

Id test drive both and see which one you like better. IMHO, they are both very fine vehicles. I know people who LOVE their Subies and wouldnt trade them for anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,271 Posts
RodeoLinebacker said:
Howdy all-

Currently in the market for two replacement vehicles, one for me and one for Mom. We have narrowed our search to either a Terrain SLT-2 w/ V6 or a Subaru Outback R3.6 Premium. Prices are roughly in the same ballpark, slightly less for the Terrain (thanks Dad for the retiree discount :)

Test drove the Terrain yesterday, loved the handling, interior space, features, etc. The V6 seemed a might underpowered with the A/C going full blast, but then I'm coming from a Sierra 2500 Duramax so EVERYTHING will feel a little slow I guess LOL.

Anyway tomorrow we go check out the Subaru lot to compare. It's a bit difficult as I've always been a GM buyer and "Buy American" believer, but I figure that since the Terrain is assembled in Ontario, it's not 100% American either. I'd rather stay with GMC but the Outback makes a pretty compelling case, especially considering resale value.

Just wondering if anyone here is a former or current Outback owner and has any insights on pros/cons of each platform. Specifically:

1. How does either vehicle perform in mild off-road situations? No mudding, just smooth to rough gravel roads, and unplowed snow.

2. How does build quality compare?

Our needs: I need to go back to an SUV...my Sierra is awesome but I need a little enclosed cargo space when hauling folks and I don't want to stick a cap on the back. Mom is trading in her 2008 Malibu, a great little car with excellent fuel economy but just a little too short for easy entry/exit. We live in an area of unmaintained gravel roads so those can get rutted/potholed or snowed-in during the winter, and need a vehicle that can handle occasional snow and ice. I would get the V6 for my over-mountain cross-country trips, but Mom could probably go 4 cylinders.

Thanks in advance!
So, your father worked long enough with GM to be able to draw a pension from them and your even thinking foreign??? Think back on who paid for everything you had in life...
Go with the Terrains be supportive...GM is still paying your dad right?
 
G

·
RodeoLinebacker said:
Howdy all-

Currently in the market for two replacement vehicles, one for me and one for Mom. We have narrowed our search to either a Terrain SLT-2 w/ V6 or a Subaru Outback R3.6 Premium. Prices are roughly in the same ballpark, slightly less for the Terrain (thanks Dad for the retiree discount :)

Test drove the Terrain yesterday, loved the handling, interior space, features, etc. The V6 seemed a might underpowered with the A/C going full blast, but then I'm coming from a Sierra 2500 Duramax so EVERYTHING will feel a little slow I guess LOL.

Anyway tomorrow we go check out the Subaru lot to compare. It's a bit difficult as I've always been a GM buyer and "Buy American" believer, but I figure that since the Terrain is assembled in Ontario, it's not 100% American either. I'd rather stay with GMC but the Outback makes a pretty compelling case, especially considering resale value.

Just wondering if anyone here is a former or current Outback owner and has any insights on pros/cons of each platform. Specifically:

1. How does either vehicle perform in mild off-road situations? No mudding, just smooth to rough gravel roads, and unplowed snow.

2. How does build quality compare?

Our needs: I need to go back to an SUV...my Sierra is awesome but I need a little enclosed cargo space when hauling folks and I don't want to stick a cap on the back. Mom is trading in her 2008 Malibu, a great little car with excellent fuel economy but just a little too short for easy entry/exit. We live in an area of unmaintained gravel roads so those can get rutted/potholed or snowed-in during the winter, and need a vehicle that can handle occasional snow and ice. I would get the V6 for my over-mountain cross-country trips, but Mom could probably go 4 cylinders.

Thanks in advance!
Just putting it out there....the Outback is made in USA by American Workers if you care. Anything made in the US/Canada to me is considered "American"...

Outback is a great car, I just have never been a fan of Subbies interiors and not a fan of the new styling for the outback. Overall would be a much better performer for the "offroad" vs the terrain. Love the sysmetical AWD setups they use, 1 wheel needs power, that is all. If I needed something for more off road ability, I would've picked up a forester....I really lliked the turbo version, but the trannys are killing me (4speed still), and interior styling needs some improvements imho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
2010BlkGraniteNox said:
Just putting it out there....the Outback is made in USA by American Workers if you care. Anything made in the US/Canada to me is considered "American"...

Outback is a great car, I just have never been a fan of Subbies interiors and not a fan of the new styling for the outback. Overall would be a much better performer for the "offroad" vs the terrain. Love the sysmetical AWD setups they use, 1 wheel needs power, that is all. If I needed something for more off road ability, I would've picked up a forester....I really lliked the turbo version, but the trannys are killing me (4speed still), and interior styling needs some improvements imho.
That's the dilemma for many buyers..buy an American vehicle assembled in Canada/Mexico or a foreign brand assembled in the U.S. What you have to keep in mind though is that most of the money goes to the country of the parent company...that's where the headquarters, execs, engineering etc..are located. Buying an "import" that is assembled here is better than getting one that was shipped from overseas...but most of the money still goes back to Japan/Korea or Europe.
 
G

·
NoobNox said:
That's the dilemma for many buyers..buy an American vehicle assembled in Canada/Mexico or a foreign brand assembled in the U.S. What you have to keep in mind though is that most of the money goes to the country of the parent company...that's where the headquarters, execs, engineering etc..are located. Buying an "import" that is assembled here is better than getting one that was shipped from overseas...but most of the money still goes back to Japan/Korea or Europe.
Not really....The money goes to the workers. They are paying American/Canadian workers competitive wages to manufacture a product. Reason I wouldnt touch the SRX, manufactured in Mexico where things are not the same. Who cares if the corporate puts its name on something....What I care about is who manufactured the product. As we loose manufacturing jobs, our economy will continue to be flatlined and going down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fourmoremarine said:
So, your father worked long enough with GM to be able to draw a pension from them and your even thinking foreign??? Think back on who paid for everything you had in life...
Go with the Terrains be supportive...GM is still paying your dad right?
For the most part GM has been good to our family, though not without some company drama here and there (both work and product-related). Dad wasn't a GM lifer but retired on a disability and passed on about three years ago, I still miss him every day.

I do want to support GM and we've always been a GM family...Dad's first car was a 57 Chevy Bel Air coupe. Since then my immediate family (me, Mom, Dad, Sis) has owned:
'62 Chevy Nomad wagon
'68 Ford (totaled one year later by someone running into it)
'69 Chevy Impala (with the 396)
'73 Chevy C-30 Pickup Camper Special (sold after being t-boned)
'73 Chevy Caprice Classic (ran into ground and sold)
'79 Chevy Malibu Estate Wagon (the only lemon and the first vehicle after Dad started at GM)
'79 Chevy C-20 van (ran into ground and sold)
'85 Buick LeSabre
'86 Chevy Caprice
'87 Buick Regal T-Type
'89 Chevy C-20 conversion van
'92 Buick Roadmaster
'94 Chevy K-5 Blazer
'96 Chevy Tahoe
'01 Chevy Avalanche
'01 Chevy S-10 Blazer
'03 Hummer H2
'03 Chevy Avalanche
'05 GMC Sierra 1500
'06 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax (my current ride)
'08 Chevy Malibu (Mom's current ride)

So with the exception of the Ford, we've been 100% GM for over five decades. I would consider that pretty supportive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NoobNox said:
That's the dilemma for many buyers..buy an American vehicle assembled in Canada/Mexico or a foreign brand assembled in the U.S. What you have to keep in mind though is that most of the money goes to the country of the parent company...that's where the headquarters, execs, engineering etc..are located. Buying an "import" that is assembled here is better than getting one that was shipped from overseas...but most of the money still goes back to Japan/Korea or Europe.
I think the sticker on the Terrain said 72% North American content, but not sure if that is USA/Canada or USA/Canada/Mexico. It is assembled in Ontario I believe. The Subaru is only 20% NA content but assembled in Indiana, with some design and engineering in the US. So in this case, the Terrain is probably more "American" than the Outback but it's not as clearcut as it used to be.

I've always been a "buy American" guy and still am. It's almost impossible in some cases (like electronics for example) but if you look hard enough you can find quality American products in many instances. We really need to beef up manufacturing in the USA if we want to remain prosperous and free...I don't think we can expect China to sell us our tanks and planes (and we wouldn't be able to afford them at that point anyway).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Setting the "made in America" issue aside, I recommend you drive both vehicles extensively ( as extensive as the dealer will allow that is) and make a decision based on which one you like and which one best meets your needs. Seems pretty simple to me. ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, we test drove the Outback 2.5i (4 cylinder) yesterday. Handled well, decent power for a four banger and perfectly adequate for Mom but I think I'd opt for the V6 for myself. Interior styling is conservative compared to the Terrain, though the center stack has a much cleaner design than the field of buttons you see on the GMC/Chevy. Surprisingly, some of the materials did not seem as nice as what was in the Terrain, particularly the matte silver trim, although fit was pretty neat and clean as you'd expect from a Japanese vehicle.

Egress is much better on the Terrain-I found myself catching my size 12s on the door sill and my noggin on the roof getting into the Outback whereas the Terrain was very easy for entry/exit. Back row seating is more spacious on the Terrain as well. The Outback has nice paddle shifters mounted on the steering wheel for gearing up or down instead of the buttons on the stick.

Overall, I think the Outback feels more like a tall wagon than an SUV and has a more car-like driving experience than the Terrain. I prefer the Terrain overall though the Outback is definitely a nice vehicle and one of the few import vehicles I've liked (can't stand driving Toyotas in particular). For Mom though, the Outback may make more sense for her size and driving abilities, so we end up with a split decision here :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Rodeo- from the info in your latest post, it's obvious that you have been doing your homework and have picked the right vehicle for each individual. Chances are very good that in the end, both you and your Mom will be very pleased with the choice you've made. Good luck, Ron
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top