GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Equinox.
I really like the Hill Start Assist feature.
1. Is there a way to tell (like via an indicator light) when the Assist has been activated?
Sometimes I am on a hill, press the brakes and think the assist has been activated.
But then the vehicle starts to move.
2. Is there a way that I can force the assist to activate? Sometimes I'm on a slighter grade
and the assist will not automatically engage. I'd like a way to force it on.

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
949 Posts
From what I've noticed, it only engages if you make the vehicle come to a complete stop first. If you are still rolling a little bit, it won't engage.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
I don't believe there is any indicator of the HSA operating, nor is there any way to manually activate it, other than stopping on a hill.

Also, I believe that the HSA only engages for a few seconds and then the car will start rolling backwards.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
It appears that there is not an indicator light. This vehicle has a Hill Start Assist (HSA) feature, which may be useful when the vehicle is stopped on a grade. This feature is designed to prevent the vehicle from rolling, either forward or rearward, during vehicle drive off. After the driver completely stops and holds the vehicle in a complete standstill on a grade, HSA will be automatically activated. During the transition period between when the driver releases the brake pedal and starts to accelerate to drive off on a grade, HSA holds the braking pressure to ensure that there is no rolling. The brakes will automatically release when the accelerator pedal is applied within the two-second window. It will not activate if the vehicle is in a drive gear and facing downhill or if the vehicle is facing uphill and in R (Reverse). You can also find this on page 9-39. Please feel free to contact me if you need more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.
I suspect my situation must have something to do with the grade.
When we exit our sub-division there is a stop sign on a slight incline.
Sometimes HSA engages and sometimes it doesn't. I can't detect
that I'm doing anything differently with the way I come to a stop there.
It just must be a condition that is right on the borderline for engaging HSA.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I've been experimenting and I've got a couple follow up questions.
1. How long will HSA stay engaged? Is it just for two seconds as referenced in the post above?
Or does it stay active until I touch the accelerator?
2. When HSA is active does it change the 'feel' of the brake pedal? It seems to me that at the
times I believe HSA is active if I press on the brake pedal it will have an extremely solid feel
to it.

Thanks for any info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts