GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before purchasing my equinox, I read a review about the turning radius; that it wasn't as sharp as could be. I didn't brink much ofit at the time but nowadays I am experiencing this issue regularly. Mainly when parking the car, I cannot negotiate turns into a spot without having to bring the car into reverse several times to establish space between other cars and/curb and get the vehicle straight. Moreso, this was an issue a few days ago when I hit the wall in my garage when trying to get clearance. :mad:

My questions is to see if the is any way to improve the turning radius of the equinox. Would changing the wheels/rims and/or tires make a difference? Is there something a performance shop can tweak to achieve a better turning radius? Look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
978 Posts
There is an ol' saying that with enough time and money...anything is possible

But...

No "shop" is going to touch this due to liability

With narrower rims and tires the steering stops could be changed allowing a tighter turning radius

but the risk/benefit equation yields an inappropriate value

·
Registered
297 Posts
As crazy as it sounds...practice.

My Terrain has a longer turning radius that I was used to, but it also has a shorter nose. Once I became familiar where the end of the front bumper really was, it actually seems nimble in parking lots.

·
Registered
441 Posts
yea....swing a little wider.....

what did you have before the nox?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The problem is the transverse mounted engine/trans in the front combined with 17"-19" wheels and a fairly narrow track don't allow for a tight turning radius. The narrow track (width) of the Nox/Terrain is how GM gets away with calling them small SUV's when they are actually closer to mid-sized overall. Like someone said earlier...practice and knowing where the front edges are help a lot.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've been driving for a lot of years, and I have to say that while I really like our Terrain, I do agree that negotiating in close quarters requires more caution than with most vehicles I've driven. Some of the driver safety programs that I've seen for corporate employees emphasize trying to avoid putting yourself in a position where you have to back up. For example, park further away where you can pull into a space nose first and pull back out again without backing up. My observation is that these vehicles swing wide when backing up; and combined with the fact that it's hard to know where the sides and back end are, it's safer to keep moving forward!

On balance I think these are great vehicles. Just try driving a vintage Corvette between the concrete barriers at a toll plaza and you'll realize that many vehicles take getting used to in their own ways.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree that practice makes perfect. Coming from a Honda Accord as my old daily driver, the Equinox could not be any more of a total opposite than it is....from gas pedal pressure needed, to breaking distance, to turns and backing up. The biggest issue I had was understanding where the front nose ends. One day I pulled into my driveway and thought I was no more than an inch from the garage door, yet I actually about two feet away. Even after 1000 miles of driving I still have a slight perception issue when in the car as to where the front bumper really is. Decreasing your turning radius would be an expensive and risky procedure to attempt, as MOCHANOX said. The key is understanding the driving dynamics of the vehicle and adjusting your control accordingly.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I personally don't have much of a problem with parking/turning radius. I actually feel like it's a pretty decent turning radius. Seems like you might just need to practice and give yourself more time to get used to it. (no offense) A smaller car will definitely be different, just takes getting used to. Good luck.

·
Registered
978 Posts
vince730 said:
I agree...
The Chevy Avalanche is a HUGE SUV with very tall squared off fenders and rear quarters.
Some owners have installed both front and rear view cameras (I have a rear only in ours).

The Nox IMHO would benefit in a front view camera as well to assist judging those fast sloping fenders

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but... drive a 6600 lb escallade, and you will find that a Uturn on a small street it much easier than it is on the Terrain. I didn't believe it when I read it, but just got rid of an 07 escalade for a new terrain and it's very true.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I don't have a problem with the turning radius, I don't think it's much different then my old Impala was. The thing I had to get used to was judging where the front bumper is, I would pull into a parking spot and when I got out of the Nox I would be way back too far.

·
Registered
142 Posts
my opinion is that turning radius is pretty bad compared to all vehicles i have driven in past...

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
FWD is the greatest limiting factor here as there is only so far you can pinch the CV joint. Add to it the larger tires and it is what it is.

For the most part is is not any worse than the average vehicle out there. You do have to be aware how close you can get to something as wit the tall fenders and lack of easy visibility it can limit some on using space that is there.

I find often that I feel like I am on top of somthing and still have 3 feet of room since I am sitting high up. The thick A pillars also limit sight lines but I am used to that with my Bunker like HHR.

While yes there are cars that turn sharper the Terrain does fine for what it is. You just have to know your limits and you can pick up a lot of unused space.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts