GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Input pricing for the turbo 2.8 last night. $3,820 extra over the 3.0--makes for a pricey SRX.

Has anyone driven a turbo yet? Your impressions?

Fuel economy is either 15/21 or 16/23--I've seen both sets of numbers. Found the former on cadillac.com.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Mkaresh. just reposted here too,
under this thread, as some may not look at your other thread re: comparo with previos gen SRX. Thks!

Re: Has anyone traded a first-gen SRX for the new one? What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 05:11:10 PM » Quote Modify Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi. I owned a 2004 SRX, AWD, Northstar V-8 (320 HP/315 ft. lbs) 4500 lbs curb weight , 5-speed auto tranny, with almost every option including heavy 4' sliding sunroof and Magnetic Ride Control suspension ($2K option!), HID lights. No 3rd row seat option. Incredibly roomy ( 2 passenger) rear seating. Had it 3 1/2 years. Very Fast, cornered like a Vet (really!) Criticisms: Very hard seats, slightly stiff ride ( no "Soft" option ride button, like Caddy STS got) no telescopic steering wheel. (but had power adjust pedals). Didn't offer side window, laminated glass for acoustics. Front and rear tires were a different size and thus non-rotatable. ( I switched to same size, larger rear tires, at 25K miles. No AWD problems at all. )Rumor was rear wheel drive bias of this chassis wanted to keep most max traction in rear. New model is FWD based. Tires same on all 4 corners. Ran on 87 octane all day! 14-21 mpg range. Smooth shifting. It flew...... Noisy oil pump replaced @ 20K miles. No further problem.

2010...........Just did GM Extended Test Drive yesterday, 4/25, on 2010 SRX @ local Caddy/GMC/Buick Dealer. GM Techs on location to answer questions. Drove both Turbo and base V-6 with AWD in both. (I'm in market to buy, by June/July) Perceptions:

The 2010 has a wider cabin size @ 75" (vs 73 1/2 inches) My Enclave is 79". Cabin is also quieter than my '04 was , by a bit. Partly due to side laminated window glass. All tires same size now, too. Easy to rotate, and make these tires last longer. Standard 2-zone AC temps ( 3 optional!) just like my '04.
Both 6-speed trannys shifted well, but the Turbo was better, quicker shifting in Normal than the base model in Sport Mode. Base V-6 was ample power and fun to drive in Manumatic/Sport mode. Note suspension tightens slightly too, with better shifts, in Sport mode. Not a lot, but noticeable. The base V-6 ( 265 HP/233 ft lbs) was quick at 4350 lbs, but the 4450 lb. Turbo makes 300 HP and the 295ft lbs at only 1850 RPM!. That one equaled my V-8, '04, using seat- of -the -pants- Dyno. It uses an Aisin Warner brand 6-speed tranny. Different than GM 6-Speed in the standard V-6 . Love the telescope wheel, side marker turn lites, which the previous model lacked. Remote start is great. HID lights are back as an option and they swivel w/ steering wheel input now. However, seats once again TOO FIRM for my posterior. Compared to nearby GMC Terrain: 30% stiffer! And rear row does NOT slide back (like Terrain) for more leg room, (still beats Lexus 350) leaving only barely adequate head/leg room for a 6' person, especially w/ sloping ( albeit attractive) roofline. The '04 didn't slide either, but had enormous rear leg room. ( and a mini-3rd row option) This year, SRX is 5" shorter than previous generation, including the very pointed nose. (So it's like 12" shorter internally?) Rear seats roominess and especially all seats comfort are possible deal -breaker for me, even though the ride is better than previous gen in my opinion. Wife likes the shorter and slightly wider body. Heated REAR seats ( cooled fronts!) also both now available, first time on SRX. Still thinking over the self-rising front 7" dash screen, for Nav and reverse camera. FRONT parking sensors ( in addition to rear) now available too! The new 40 Gig radio sounds about same as my '04 ( good to excell) and can record your CD's and radio favorites directly to it. Sweet feature. However, If you have 4, 6 footers in the family ,who travel together regulary, see "Escalade". This baby sure takes the corners, in both renditions. My feelings are I will get about same mileage +2, as my '04 V-8 did. The mass ( and safety!) are still there. Be advised: Premium fuel only in TURBO model Both autos will (did) turn heads. You'll never be mistaken for a Lexus or Audi .

That's it. We like the Terrain ($37K as we like it) and the Equinox also @$36K. 2010 SRX MSRP came in @ 49,500 w/ Turbo & same approx goodies. Non-Turbo @ $ 46,500 roughly comparing options available. Sticker on my loaded '04 was about $52k! I paid about $43K after all incentives/GM points/rebates, and starting at Invoice price, first. We have a good GM dealer.

Hope this offers some insights.
MM

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did receive a quote for over 4K at one point. That really seemed pricey to me. However, after seeing your quote, it did not seem to be as far off base as I had thought. Thanks for posting this and giving me the assurance that I was not crazy or had at least received a crazy bid. I am still not sure what I am going to do.

·
Registered
441 Posts
4k for a factory turbo option is a **** nice price...considering after market turbo kits start at 3,500 for a decent one, and that doesnt include labor/time to install and or a tune...not to mention voiding of a warranty.....

if your looking at the SRX, and can afford it, id jump all over it...turbos=smiles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts