GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone come up with a good way to carry bikes inside the car? I meet for a group ride after work and don't want to leave my bike outside in a parking garage all day. right now I take off the front wheel, fold down one seat and lean it up in the back. That works for me, but if I ever wanted to take a second bike it wouldn't work.

I know part of the problem is the rear seats not folding flat. Because of the bolsters on the seats they have an incline and you lose a good 6" of height. Did anyone at GM ever actually haul anything in the back of a sport ute? If they did the seats would fold flat. I hated mt Buick rendezvous for the same reason. Idiots.

If anyone has built something I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
give me a few minutes and ill post the pictures of what i do to transport my MTB!!

·
Registered
35 Posts

went to Target and got a 36"x72" outdoor rug that fits perfectly in between the wheel wells!! Purpose of the rug obviosuly is to protect the carpet from mud and water plus its easy clean up!!

the wood is a 1"x12" piece or hardwood shelving material from home depot that was like $12 for a 10' piece. Cut it down to size and then measure out your fork mounts to mount them to the wood!!

to keep the wood in place i just angled some wood screws through the corners and slightly out the bottom to help stick to the rug that i placed under the wood.

then BAM!! you're done and it cost you about $30 in all materials including fork mounts!!

hope this helps!!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I agree that fold flat seats would be ideal and improve realistic cargo capacity quite a bit...but GM had to make a tradeoff that wouldn't suit everyone. If you've ever logged any serious butt time on a true fold-flat seat you figure out pretty quickly how they were able to do that. The only options for a vehicle the size of a Nox/Terrain to have fold-flat rear seats is making a floor pocket for it to drop into (thereby causing exhaust/AWD drivetrain clearance issues) which effectively would make the ground clearance the same as a sedan....or make the seatback and cushion padding very thin with no bolstering. So as it is we're left with a rear seat area that is pretty nice for passengers, but not so great if you have something large/tall you need to carry.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's pretty much the same idea I had. I like the screws in the bottom to hold it in place - the one I made was sliding around and I couldn't figure out how to hold it down. I was really hoping I missed something as I want to put two bikes in and I don't think that it is possible.

·
Registered
35 Posts
michiganmtbr said:
That's pretty much the same idea I had. I like the screws in the bottom to hold it in place - the one I made was sliding around and I couldn't figure out how to hold it down. I was really hoping I missed something as I want to put two bikes in and I don't think that it is possible.
why not?? i transport 2 bikes in mine easily!! my bikes a medium frame and my buddies is a large and they fit fine!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Turn the front wheel and lay it down. My men's bicycle fits in no problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i can fit my medium mens frame in flat with both wheels on no problem. i just lay an old blanket around the wheel to protect the back of the seet and the video screen and put something under the end of the handlebar to protect the leather on the back seat. i can still fit 2 big tool bags in with all my riding gear so i can go ride after work too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts