GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have noticed a problem recently with my chevy equinox LT diesel 2018. When i stop the vehicle at a stop or light and then i accelerate, it takes too much time for the transmission to change to the next gear. I look at the rpm and i noticed it goes way up to 2500 rpms before it shift to 2nd gear or 3rd gear.

This happens after a complete stop. It seems like the first gears are taking too long to change. Is this normal because it is a diesel or is there a transmission problem ?

I read that the 6 speed transmission is slower than the 9 speed but this is ridiculous.
I also noticed when i park the vehicle and turn off the engine, the radiator cooling fan turns on and this happens in cold weather too. Is this a heating transmission or a low fluid transmission problem ?

I would like to check the transmission oil myself to see if its ok but there's no transmission dipstick, How am i suppose to check the transmission oil ? I am very dissapointed in chevrolet, this really sucks. Any advice ?

thank you

·
Registered
80 Posts
Could be to assist in the "regen" thats why the fans run
As for the shifting mine does not do what you are describing

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply larrywal,

Can you check when you accelerate after a complete stop at what rpm's your Equinox diesel is changing to the first or second gear ?

I saw one video on youtube but it seems like it was the premiere diesel, it has different rpms and shiftpoint and a 9 speed transmission, so it has to be an LT 1.6 diesel to compare.

i will try to make a video and post it on youtube and put the link here to show you what it is doing.

thanks

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Thanks for your reply larrywal,

Can you check when you accelerate after a complete stop at what rpm's your Equinox diesel is changing to the first or second gear ?

I saw one video on youtube but it seems like it was the premiere diesel, it has different rpms and shiftpoint and a 9 speed transmission, so it has to be an LT 1.6 diesel to compare.

i will try to make a video and post it on youtube and put the link here to show you what it is doing.

thanks

You're going to be comparing apples with oranges, because shift point will be dependent upon peddle pressure along with other things, such as grade of the road, transmission fluid temperature, engine load, such as A/C, etc.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I remember someone on the Acadia forum- posted info- that the computer had- to shift.
Shift points @ certain speed/pedal input.

Easy driving- I can be in 6th gear by about 43-44 MPH- in my Traverse.

When folks came on- posting about how low their MPGs were....
and we knew other driving info--- one clue that gave it away was shift points being @ say 3000 RPMs from 1st to 2nd....
we knew they were being aggresive when leaving stops.

So- someone may be able to post similar shift points for your model.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
the info is out there in the shop manual...
here is an example on the 6 speed in the larger Acadia/Traverse (1st Gen).
Remember I said 43-44 MPH I could be in 6th gear... it shows 44.1 5-6.

Summary of the GM Shop Manual for the Traverse' tranny 6T75, glove box codes M7V and M7X, lists the following reference shift points:

Throttle Position angle = 12.5 degrees ("babying" it might even be a lower angle?)
upshifts
1-2....9.9 mph mph (not engine rpm) being directly proportional to tranny output shaft speed, .
2-3....16.2
3-4....24.5
4-5....33.6
5-6.....44.1

downshifts
6-5...42.6 mph
5-4...31.7
4-3...22.4
3-2....14.3
2-1....6.8

Throttle Position angle 25 deg. (brisk)
upshifts
1-2......13.4 mph
2-3.....22.4
3-4.....29.8
4-5.....39.8
5-6.....71.5

downshifts
6-5.....42.6
5-4.....31.7
4-3.....22.4
3-2....14.3
2-1.....6.8

The manual lists 13 separate conditions which will affect shift points, the most important input into the shift pattern logic being the OSS, tranny output speed sensor a very low output speed will force a downshift and a very high speed will force an upshift.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rbarrios,

Thanks, that's some interesting info, didn't know this was listed in the shop manual.

do you know where i can find the chevrolet Equinox diesel 2018 shop manual ?

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Most GM factory manuals are sold through Helms.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
#18-NA-358: Shudder, 2-3 Upshift or 3-2 Downshift Concern
Condition

Some customers may comment that the vehicle may have a severe launch shudder in 1st gear from a stop, or while driving alongwhen in 4th gear, or during the 2-3 upshift or 3-2 downshift.

Some customers may also comment on one or more of the following conditions:
•Flare
•Slide/bump
•Slip
•Harsh shift

Cause

This condition may be caused by debris in the upper and/or lower valve bodies or valve scratched or scored, causing them notto move properly.

Correction

Note: Launch shudder concern may be induced/duplicated by power braking in first gear, but should only be attempted for 5 secondsor less to not cause any distress to the 1-2-3-4 clutch assembly.

Validate that the concern is not an engine misfire or engine driveability concern.

Confirm the shudder is not a torque converter clutch (TCC) shudder by monitoring TCC slip when TCC is engaged during the event.

Note: TEHCM replacement has not been an effective repair for the above concern.
• If the concern is not isolated to be an engine misfire, driveability concern or TCC shudder concern, DO NOT replace the TEHCM

If the shudder can be induced during a power braking event in first gear thEN the lower and uppervalve body assemblies should be replaced at the same time

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
unsolved mystery of the equinox transmission

I will take it to the dealership next week and see what they say, but i will definitely make them check the transmission oil level and quality. It seems like this oil does not resist very cold temperatures.

I remember a few times last winter when idle at a red light the transmission was making like a vibration noise and i could feel it in the transmission shifter.

I will let you guys know what happened after taking it to dealer. They better not charge me, it's a leased vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts