GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there had transmission reprogramed for different shift points and firmer shifts? thx in advance for anyones help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,528 Posts
Oletrucker said:
Has anyone out there had transmission reprogramed for different shift points and firmer shifts? thx in advance for anyones help.
I think the shift points are dependent upon your driving style - it will "learn" your habits. You can disconnect the battery to make it forget your style and it will learn quicker, or you can keep your style, and eventually it will learn it.

I'm not sure you can change the firmness of the shift - that is probably part of the design - IMHO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Oletrucker said:
Has anyone out there had transmission reprogramed for different shift points and firmer shifts? thx in advance for anyones help.
reprogramming has nothing to do with how hard a tranny shifts...even on todays modern transmissions there are still pneumatic elements to it that can only be altered physically...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
gar187er said:
reprogramming has nothing to do with how hard a tranny shifts...even on todays modern transmissions there are still pneumatic elements to it that can only be altered physically...
Not quite. You can reprogram the TCM to use a harder shift pressure and you will get a firmer and faster shift. Many hand held programmers do this these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Not quite. You can reprogram the TCM to use a harder shift pressure and you will get a firmer and faster shift. Many hand held programmers do this these days.
never came across this in the few different makes ive had over the years...this mainly a domestic feature? seems more prone for failure if the computer controls the pressure....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
Yup, computer controlled.

Its like that with pretty much all computer controlled hydraulic (not sure if that is the right word but fluid filled trans) transmissions. They just up the shift pressure to give a firmer shift. Ive had two cars with a tune on them and the firmer shifts are amazing.

Basically, the computer controls how much pressure to use to shift. When you go wide open throttle, you have to use more pressure to get the faster shift. When you get a tune, it just ups the part throttle shifts so they dont take .8 seconds but .4 seconds. They just get rid of the lazy feel that a lot of people complain about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
my previous cars had to either have the valvebody swapped out, or the solenoids upgraded....it would seem just changing the pressure on stock components wouldnt be the best (most reliable) way to mod a tranny....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
They seem to last fine in plenty of powerful cars. I have a friend who has had a hand held tune on his 2001 Trans Am for about 6 years. Trans went out at 130k miles when he let it shift at WOT from 3rd to 4th. Very, very common issue even without a tune though.

Lots of G8 GTs have a handheld tune as well and they handle it good as well.

Yes, older trans used to have to have the valvebodies switched out because they were incapable of variable pressure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
bballr4567 said:
They seem to last fine in plenty of powerful cars. I have a friend who has had a hand held tune on his 2001 Trans Am for about 6 years. Trans went out at 130k miles when he let it shift at WOT from 3rd to 4th. Very, very common issue even without a tune though.

Lots of G8 GTs have a handheld tune as well and they handle it good as well.

Yes, older trans used to have to have the valvebodies switched out because they were incapable of variable pressure.
even newer cars do.....but it most be a import/domestic thing.....seeing as i'm coming from imports....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
I guess it must be.

Still, if you just change the solenoids and valve bodies then you wont get more pressure unless you actually ask for more pressure during the shifts from the internal pump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
true...my past car the pump was part of the valvebody, no seperate pump.....so $600 from level10 and you were in business!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top