GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read various people mention a tranny re-program when towing with the 4 cyl but I don't think i ever read an answer.

I just installed a hitch on my terrain SLT-1 awd with the 4 cyl. Do I need to bring it to the dealer for the tranny re-program?

I tow a boat about 10 times a year, roughly 80 km that weight 700-800 lbs in total (including trailer and gear)

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting article, i also could not find reference to SI document #2355108 . I just wondering if re-programming is necessary and what it actually does?

I towed a 4x8 trailer full of pressure treated lumber 2 days ago, it had to easily weight over 1,000 lbs and the truck behaved normally....

Jeff

·
Registered
157 Posts
The tranny is not what gets re-programmed. On vehicles made before 11/16/09 there was an issue when a trailer hitch was added to a vehicle without the V92 Trailering Provisions package. The trailer lights would not work without programming the BCM which controls the vehicle lighting.

The bulletin referred to in the message thread has been superceded by #PIT4902B

Standard Disclaimer: GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gmiemigrad said:
The tranny is not what gets re-programmed. On vehicles made before 11/16/09 there was an issue when a trailer hitch was added to a vehicle without the V92 Trailering Provisions package. The trailer lights would not work without programming the BCM which controls the vehicle lighting.

The bulletin referred to in the message thread has been superceded by #PIT4902B

Standard Disclaimer: GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
Thanks for the update. Can I assume that with my Terrain being less than 2 months old I would not require any additional work done?
I did the wiring package from Kurt, no problems. I have towed, no problems.
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
bvreater said:
Thanks for the update. Can I assume that with my Terrain being less than 2 months old I would not require any additional work done?
I did the wiring package from Kurt, no problems. I have towed, no problems.
Thanks
Jeff
If you are concerned about this issue, I would recommend contacting your local dealership for more information. They should be able to assist you in letting you know whether or not this is something that you should be watching for. Please feel free to keep us posted. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
If you are concerned about this issue, I would recommend contacting your local dealership for more information. They should be able to assist you in letting you know whether or not this is something that you should be watching for. Please feel free to keep us posted. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
The reason I asked the question is because every thread regarding this, just like this one, does not have a clear answer. I have installed aftermarket hitches on 4 different vechicles and never ever heard about having to reprogram or flash the computer. Why does this create a mystery with the Terrain? Either it needs to be or it doesn't, this is what I'm trying to find out without having to go to the dealer, hence, the point of having an online forum...

Jeff

·
Registered
157 Posts
bvreater said:
The reason I asked the question is because every thread regarding this, just like this one, does not have a clear answer.
Here is the information that we know.

The service bulletin listed earlier in the thread only applied to vehicles built before 11/16/09 and any programming required strictly had to do with trailer lighting (according to the bulletin)

GM sells as an aftermarket accessory the trailer hitch assembly which contains everything that the factory V92 option provides - no ECM programming required as part of that accessory package

The real mystery here is where the information came from initially that a tranny reprogram was required. I don't know where it came from - but the two sources of information I just listed do not mention it.

Your owners manual also contains information related to vehicle capacities and towing.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that but since the dealers have the tech. equipemnt to do the programming ad have access to the calibrations - they can determine whether any re-programming is required in your case based on programming version currently in the car and your individual needs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gmiemigrad said:
Here is the information that we know.

The service bulletin listed earlier in the thread only applied to vehicles built before 11/16/09 and any programming required strictly had to do with trailer lighting (according to the bulletin)

GM sells as an aftermarket accessory the trailer hitch assembly which contains everything that the factory V92 option provides - no ECM programming required as part of that accessory package

The real mystery here is where the information came from initially that a tranny reprogram was required. I don't know where it came from - but the two sources of information I just listed do not mention it.

Your owners manual also contains information related to vehicle capacities and towing.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that but since the dealers have the tech. equipemnt to do the programming ad have access to the calibrations - they can determine whether any re-programming is required in your case based on programming version currently in the car and your individual needs.

[/quote

Thanks, I believe that is the best answer I've seen.

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts