GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really loving my Terrain, and at just over 2000km on it, it all of a sudden wouldn't shift beyond 2nd.
Onstar was great and pulled the diagnositics as I pulled over to the side of the road. Clutch pressure solenoid was what I think they said. Limped to the dealership and they haven't pinpointed the problem, but told me they might have to take the transmission apart.. GRRRRRR 2000 friggen KM's and they have to take it apart????
I'm not impressed as I'm leary that it will never be the same once they do take it apart, fix and put it back together.
I'm venting as I'm not impressed. hmmmm I'm still under my 60 days if it comes to that :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: Disappointed so soon

At one time we all encounter something like this. I once had a brand new Pontiac Gran Prix with not even 100 miles on it. Pulled out onto the main road with normal acceleration and boom. Engine destroyed. Had to wait a month for a new engine to get installed. The new engine worked perfectly until I traded the car in.

I feel you man, but things happen. I hope you get a nice replacement car while you wait for your Terrain to get fixed.

·
Registered
182 Posts

It happens to all brands, too. I've had friends with Toyotas, Hondas, and VW's who've all had early tranny failures. Yep, it sucks.

An old boss of mine has a Jag, it was on its 3rd tranny by 45,000K. Not joking. But then again you're considered lucky if you can get a Jag to 100,000 without major failure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Disappointed so soon (update)

Dealership has had my Terrain for 2 working days as they are taking the tranny apart today with a possibility of having to replace it. Will hopefully know more tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Re: Disappointed so soon (update)

mapeguy said:
Dealership has had my Terrain for 2 working days as they are taking the tranny apart today with a possibility of having to replace it. Will hopefully know more tomorrow.
Sorry to hear about the tranny, mapeguy.
If it's a competent dealer with excellent Service Techs (they all receive training on new models), you should have a tranny good as new.

Be sure to heed SnowItch's advice if things aren't moving along as you'd like them to be, but I have a feeling GM will take good care of all of their customers now.
Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So I finally got my Terrain back after 3 business days and the weekend. They had to remove the transmission and found the clutch piston had a chunk or was cut and not holding fluid.
I was almost considering keeping it, but then I read what they had to do to take that sucker out.
"Removed battery and battery tray, removed front muffler, removed 3 transmission mounts, disconnected steering rack, removed front facia and innder fenders, removed both headlight assemblies, removed facia support, installed engine support (not sure what that is about) removed the rear muffler, removed 3 transfer case brackets, disconnected the front axles and struts. removed the transmission." HOLY CRAP I say. The replaced the 3-5 clutch piston (They said it was a faulty part from the factory) and put it all back together.
I'm sure they did a good job, but i just feel like this was too big of job to be happening at 2,000 kms (1,242 miles for everyone south :) ) and I just feel like I spent 36,000 Canadian on a used vehicle!!

Planning on returning it, as I was eligible for the 60 day Satisfaction Guarantee luckily. Just unsure now if I will get another Terrain, as I really did love it, or bail on GM and domestics all together. Feeling very frustrated. :(

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Bad parts happen. EVERY company goes through it.

Keep the Terrain. Its still under warranty for a LONG time. If the dealer fixed it right then you will not have a problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts

mapeguy said:
So I finally got my Terrain back after 3 business days and the weekend. They had to remove the transmission and found the clutch piston had a chunk or was cut and not holding fluid.
I was almost considering keeping it, but then I read what they had to do to take that sucker out.
"Removed battery and battery tray, removed front muffler, removed 3 transmission mounts, disconnected steering rack, removed front facia and innder fenders, removed both headlight assemblies, removed facia support, installed engine support (not sure what that is about) removed the rear muffler, removed 3 transfer case brackets, disconnected the front axles and struts. removed the transmission." HOLY CRAP I say. The replaced the 3-5 clutch piston (They said it was a faulty part from the factory) and put it all back together.
I'm sure they did a good job, but i just feel like this was too big of job to be happening at 2,000 kms (1,242 miles for everyone south :) ) and I just feel like I spent 36,000 Canadian on a used vehicle!!
I agree. Keep it if it's driving well and u like it. I had a friend who just purchased the new Audi a5 coupe. Think it cost about 60k. Anyway. 500 miles and the entire engine needed to be replaced! He has it back about two months now and all is good. ! So these things do happen!

I had a 95 pathfinder that had a cracked engine and same on 2000 celica. Both under warranty with low milage. Once I got them back they wre fine for many years!

Good luck whatever you do!
Planning on returning it, as I was eligible for the 60 day Satisfaction Guarantee luckily. Just unsure now if I will get another Terrain, as I really did love it, or bail on GM and domestics all together. Feeling very frustrated. :(
[/quote]

·
Registered
446 Posts
I guess I have a good shop at my dealership. I'd trust what they do, and even believe they could fix a vehicle to a better state than brand new. (I had to search hard for this dealership BTW) I also trust rebuilt car parts more than original in some cases. Many of them come with lifetime warranties... Consider this, for the OEM part builder it's a matter of quantity, for the rebuilt part maker, its more about quality. I'm not saying that's the case all the time, but it's my experience most of the time. (I've rebuilt a few cars in my youth, along with the help of my father and uncle who were much more cars nuts that I was)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I returned my Terrain today under the 60-day satisfaction guarantee. Hoping you all have better luck than I did!
Might have an unused set of WeatherTech front and rear floor mats to sell if I decide not to get another Terrain!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Wow.

I think you took the wrong way out IMHO. It does suck to have a problem with a brand new vehicle but to trade it in just seems a bit much to me.

Hopefully you are satisfied with your next purchase.

·
Registered
33 Posts
mapeguy said:
I returned my Terrain today under the 60-day satisfaction guarantee. Hoping you all have better luck than I did!
Might have an unused set of WeatherTech front and rear floor mats to sell if I decide not to get another Terrain!
Wow, that is pretty crazy. I also think this was done alittle too soon.

I'll quote Motortrend for this one...

"The average automobile is composed of something like 20,000 individual components, each of which has to be designed, manufactured, tested, and then correctly assembled to ensure it works perfectly. So even if 99.9 percent of the parts in your car are absolutley perfect, it still has 20 things wrong with it."

I hope you don't swear off GM or GMC because of one small problem. Go get another! ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't rush into this decision and had a lot of input. I also didn't consider the transmission a "small problem"!. I could deal with trim, a knob, or something little not right, but not the engine or transmission or drive-train failing.

I may consider the 2011 Regal, which is what my last vehicle (Saturn Aura) essential was; a rebadged Opel. With my Aura, the only issue I had with it was what I consider a "small problem"; the plastic airbag trim on the seats wouldnt stay put. ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think I'd go with Mapeguy's decision on this one. While it's probably fixed and will work as good as all the rest of us seem to enjoy, he's right, this is no small matter. I'd hate to be driving around every day secondguessing if the dealer did the job right. But I also agree with some other posts, and in his shoes, would look for another "NEW" Terrain to replace that one. He simply got the "lemon" and we all know there's always a few out there, whatever the make and model. Good Luck Mapeguy!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Well, the fact is that the replaced trans would still have 100k warranty on it.

Just my opinion that the gun was jumped on this decision.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If I didn't have the 60 Day Return option (which I don't anyway), I'd probably agree with you bballr. But in his case, with a "get out of jail free card," I'd be at the dealer getting a check and getting a replacement Terrain. Just my opinion though and it's HIS $.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
True. It is a get out of jail free card.

Like I said, good luck with whatever you do next. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts