GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a similar issue? After being parked for two days, the transmissions didn't shift out of first gear. I pulled over to the side of the road, put the car in Park, then started again but the transmission still did not shift out of first gear. I pulled over to the side of the road again, put the car in Manual shift-mode, and shifted normally through the gears. I pulled over to the side of the road again, put the car in Drive and this time it shifted normally. I find this very odd behavior. I have only had my 2010 Terrain for two months so it makes me wonder if this is going to be a problem.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
When it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear, sounds to me like you had accidently put the vehicle in M (Manual) mode, and not D (Drive) mode. If it happens again, check this.

No one else has complained of this "feature".

·
Registered
830 Posts
Maybe it's a bad contact in the shift stick. Did you notice what was writed on the DIC when the car wouldnt shift ? On the DIC its marked : D, M1, M2... Maybe you was on the D position but if the stick was reporting M1 that could have been your problem.... No matter it its that or not, i suggest you to take a trip to your dealer for inspection.

weisslc said:
Has anyone had a similar issue? After being parked for two days, the transmissions didn't shift out of first gear. I pulled over to the side of the road, put the car in Park, then started again but the transmission still did not shift out of first gear. I pulled over to the side of the road again, put the car in Manual shift-mode, and shifted normally through the gears. I pulled over to the side of the road again, put the car in Drive and this time it shifted normally. I find this very odd behavior. I have only had my 2010 Terrain for two months so it makes me wonder if this is going to be a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of course I verified that I put the car in Drive. And like I said in my original post, I pulled over to the side of the road, placed it in Park and tried again but that didnt resolve the issue. I verified that D showed on the display.

I called the dealer to report the issue. The service person who answered the phone didn't seem to be interested in hearing about a problem that cleared itself. I was told if it happened again,call while it was occurring. It was too hard to troubleshoot a problem that isnt happening. He didnt even take down my name or VIN number.

·
Registered
468 Posts
weisslc said:
Of course I verified that I put the car in Drive. And like I said in my original post, I pulled over to the side of the road, placed it in Park and tried again but that didnt resolve the issue. I verified that D showed on the display.

I called the dealer to report the issue. The service person who answered the phone didn't seem to be interested in hearing about a problem that cleared itself. I was told if it happened again,call while it was occurring. It was too hard to troubleshoot a problem that isnt happening. He didnt even take down my name or VIN number.
Yea its annoying that you shell out all that cash for a new car and when something is wrong the dealers can care less unless a code is thrown. A few times I had to fix something myself because there was no thrown codes. Just to add my Nox was sitting for 6 days and I did not have this issue.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Again, a bad dealer. Find a service adviser there that you trust and stick with them. There should be a code stored if the transmission is acting up. Take it in and tell them to figure it out.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm an EE, unless they know what is up, its hard to fix something that is working currently. I would guess TCM programming, but that is a guess. Mechanical it should happen all the time

·
Registered
977 Posts
Contact one of the GM reps that have answered some posts. Since you say it must sit for 2 days maybe they can set up a loaner and keep your vehicle for 2 days so they can see the problem. I hate the answers from dealers "No problem found" or "Working as designed" or "They all do that" ::)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts