GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Transmission cracked

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  repairman54 
#1 ·
My wife’s 2013 Terrain has a crack in the transmission case. Not sure how it got there either. Is it possible to JB Weld this or is this a complete loss? Only has 75k. A guy told me to not even waste the money on oil and JB Weld on trying to fix it, “it’s shot” is what he said. Correct?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
For under $10, it is certainly worth a try. What have you got to lose = $10, and you may save $1000.

More importantly, how do you think it happened ? Something internally gave way, or did it got banged on something ? The answer to that may impact you decision about the JB Weld !

#3 ·
You can try JB weld but that looks to be at a fastener boss so this area of the casting is subject to clamp load from the fastener. Not sure JB can hold up to that.

#4 ·
I'd see if it could be welded. I assume the case is aluminium. I had a '68 GTO that I bought used back in the day and my youthful hammering on it finally blew the trans. . When I pulled it to replace it is when I noticed the case had been welded a good 6" .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.