GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife’s 2013 Terrain has a crack in the transmission case. Not sure how it got there either. Is it possible to JB Weld this or is this a complete loss? Only has 75k. A guy told me to not even waste the money on oil and JB Weld on trying to fix it, “it’s shot” is what he said. Correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
For under $10, it is certainly worth a try. What have you got to lose = $10, and you may save $1000.

More importantly, how do you think it happened ? Something internally gave way, or did it got banged on something ? The answer to that may impact you decision about the JB Weld !

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can try JB weld but that looks to be at a fastener boss so this area of the casting is subject to clamp load from the fastener. Not sure JB can hold up to that.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'd see if it could be welded. I assume the case is aluminium. I had a '68 GTO that I bought used back in the day and my youthful hammering on it finally blew the trans. . When I pulled it to replace it is when I noticed the case had been welded a good 6" .

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd see if it could be welded. I assume the case is aluminium. I had a '68 GTO that I bought used back in the day and my youthful hammering on it finally blew the trans. . When I pulled it to replace it is when I noticed the case had been welded a good 6" .

Muncie I assume, those had aluminum cases and welding aluminum in those days was in it's infancy, must have been a top-notch guy with a welding stick.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Muncie I assume, those had aluminum cases and welding aluminum in those days was in it's infancy, must have been a top-notch guy with a welding stick.
No Turbo 400 with the his/hers shifter, ex wife couldn't drive a manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts