GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I own a 2010 Chevy equinox (117.000 miles) 1 year ago. I was worry about the transmission fluid because I didn't have any record of service from the last onwer. I know that making a full change or flush of the ATF fluid could damage the transmission if this kind of service was not done before. I was inclined to make a progressive change instead replacing part of the fluid every week. After making a research, I saw several videos that show this process with a manual pump introducing a small hose where the cap is, but in this case was very challenging because none of the hose that I tried was able to reach the fluid. Finally I could make the job using this 3mm silicon hose:

And this big syringe to pump out the fluid:

The hardest part is trying to find the right way to introducing the hose, I found that it must be directed to the left, making slow movements and no pushing too hard (because the hose could stuck inside) the key is pushing up and down, so you can feel that the hose is moving smoothly. After the half of the hose inside, I placed the other end in my mouth making some vacuum in order to feel when the hose touch the fluid.

After that, just use the syringe to make the job being careful about the quantity of fluid extracted ( you must fill the same quantity)

The pictures of the process are above:

Automotive tire Hood Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Bumper

Fluid Hood Automotive exterior Vehicle Drinking water

In the next change I will try to make a video to illustrate the process.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Isnt it just easier to unscrew the bolt at the bottom... it drains about 5.x qts, and refill with 5.x qts
The trans capacity is 9 or 11 qts...
But you essentially get about half the fluid.
I know the thread title says no tools... but in this case, id buy pliers, or wrench, or socket
Ive done it that way about 15 times between my 2010 Traverse and 2013 equinox.

Reactions: arcee

·
Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD / 2009 Torrent GT 3.4L AWD
228 Posts
Why measure how much ATF came out. Can you not just add fresh fluid until the overflow drain hole starts oozing out.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
On the trans? My 2013 and 2010 traverse No overflow .
You add the proper amount via the dipstick hole.

·
Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD / 2009 Torrent GT 3.4L AWD
228 Posts
Oh! Maybe the transmission overflow drain plug is only available in 2.4L engine. My 2009 3.4L Torrent has a dipstick but buried behind an engine mount and it is not easy to get to. To change fluid in it definitely helps to measure how much came out. The 2015 2.4L can access the overflow drain from the driver side wheel well, I guess that would be easier and less messy. The 2015 Traverse I believe it has a dipstick as well and same as the 2009 Torrent that need a measuring cup to complete the job.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
4,463 Posts
@Marcoalejandro : looks like you have a less expensive way to do it than my co-worker, who bought this device: says it works great, and he’s been using it for a couple years now. Might be something I switch to when I reach the point where getting underneath the car, and then getting back on my feet becomes too taxing. Not there yet...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
My '16 3.6 has a dipstick. I don't think the 2.4 has one.
No need for a fluid evacuator, just remove the drain plug to drain, measure what came out and refill with the same amount. Super easy.
Now on my Tahoe it's drop the exhaust crossover pipe to drop the trans. pan. My LIquiVac gets used on it every 35k miles through the dipstick tube.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts