GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last year I bought a 2019 Nox 2.0T with the 9 speed transmission. I currently have about 20K on the vehicle. I noticed the Transmission shifts a little rough in stop and go traffic or at low speeds. Also when I lift my foot off the gas at lower speeds, the transmission feels a bit jerky. I brought it to the dealership last month and they said it was normal with that 9 speed transmission. They found no codes or bullitens. The issue I have is I did not notice it when I first bought the car and it just doesn't feel right. Maybe I am just use to the Old school 4 Speed GM Trannys. :grin:
One of the Service Adviser's said that it could be something to do with the Transmission Fluid from the Factory. I was going to go back to the Dealership and drive a new 2.0T Nox and see if it has the same issue. Does any of the 2.0T owners on here experience this rough shifting with their 9 Speed Transmission?

Thanks for the help.

Dan

·
Registered
143 Posts
My '18 Terrain Denali shifts so smooth that I don't even feel them. Approaching 15K miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2019 Terrain Denali with the 2.0 and 9 speed is as smooth as can be, we're just under 7k miles.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Our 19 is at 17k miles. I won't say it's the smoothest trans but ours is not rough. The biggest difference I notice is the drag on the vehicle when letting off the pedal coming to a stop. My other auto are 4 speeds and will coast almost like in neutral when leaving off the pedal. This 9 speed has some drag IMO...maybe it's due to the AWD?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Our 19 is at 17k miles. I won't say it's the smoothest trans but ours is not rough. The biggest difference I notice is the drag on the vehicle when letting off the pedal coming to a stop. My other auto are 4 speeds and will coast almost like in neutral when leaving off the pedal. This 9 speed has some drag IMO...maybe it's due to the AWD?

If you're talking about your 07 Caddy, I know what you're talking about. My parents used to have an 06 Sedan de Ville and I drove it a lot when visiting them in eastern Wa. State. There is one particular grade there where even cruise control wouldn't hold it back, no engine braking at all, you would be up to 80 mph before approaching a curve where you either needed to brake or drop to 3rd to slow down. Not sure whether the TC lockup dropped out on those 4 speed Caddies or not, but like you said it was almost like the car was freewheeling. The newer vehicles with GDI have much higher compression so you will get more engine braking, even in higher gears.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Maybe it is the AWD. My '18 Terrain is FWD. After coming up a hill and around a bend, I can take my foot off the gas and coast a half a mile until I need to turn into my neighborhood and head up another hill. During the coast I lose maybe 3-4 MPH from the 45 MPH at the exit from the bend. The first time that I did that with my son's '14 Kia Sorento with a 2.0T, I thought that I had somehow engaged the parking brake since it lost a lot of speed real fast. He told me that it was normal for his car to do that.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My 2019 Redline 2.0, 9 speed upshifts smooth enough, but sometimes exhibits a rough downshift when slowing down to a slower speed or to a stop. It also tends to shift into higher gear ratios sooner than maybe it should, seemingly causing the engine to lug somewhat.

Mine also has a rur-rur-rur type noise coming from the transaxle; (gears? bearings?) when accelerating and under a load, but that is another topic. The dealers' tech couldn't seem to hear this, but to his defense, it wasn't extremely noticeable that particular day. The fluid was checked for level and contamination, and I was told it was OK. I guess when it either gets louder or fails completely, it will then be addressed.

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
You can verify whether or not it is the AWD by turning it off at the console.

·
Registered
958 Posts
If I crest a hill and touch the brakes, the transmission will automatically downshift to aid in braking. If I crest the same hill and do not brake, the transmission remains in the higher gear and "coast" down the hill.

I haven't experienced any roughness in the shifting of our 9-speed. 2018 with almost 25K miles.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The 9 speed in my old Terrain was mostly alright, at slow speeds and stop and go traffic it got clunky and confused. Acceleration was always spot on with quick smooth shifts. Just too many gears in my opinion. Happy to be back in a 6 speed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
9 speed transmission

I bought a 2018/2019 Nox 2.0T with the 9 speed transmission. I currently Drive a 2020 Nox 2.0T with the 9 speed transmission,I haven't experienced any roughness in the shifting at all.:wink:

·
Registered
40 Posts
9 speed transmission

I don't have a lot of miles on my 2.0t/9sp combo (little over 3800 miles), but so far am pleased with the shift quality. The low speed upshifts are short which is good for fuel economy (the same way you would drive a manual to save gas), but the torque of the engine covers this well (I found this wasn't true when I tried 87 octane).

As has been true since the dawn of transverse front wheel drive, tip-in/tip-out bumps still remain an issue and with so many gear ratios it is easy to have a downshift or upshift event coincide with one of these bumps to give a pretty clunky overall experience.

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have that sometimes, I have 55,000 no difference since new. I have had the tranny serviced at 50,000, it the same. But I don't let it bother me the 9 speed Chevy trans is one of the best today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts