GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
So what are the price points for fixing something like this - used, junk yard parts, versus new? And you’re going to do the work yourself (I presume), but what would an independent shop charge (never mind the dealer)...?

I’ve never owned an AWD or 4WD vehicle (for winter driving) - even when living 12 “driving years” up in (southern) New England. When I’m home visiting family I see tons of AWD vehicles on the road these days - more than I ever remember seeing years ago. Makes me wonder if this is yet another one of those cases where the manufacturer has essentially created artificial demand by increasing production and then convincing buyers - through marketing and salesmanship - that they really need AWD, when they don’t.

A failure like the OP has experienced here is probably pretty rare, but prospective AWD buyers take note: do you really need AWD? Unless you live in Canada, one of the northernmost U.S. snowbelt states, or otherwise “out in the boonies” where roads get plowed when your town “gets around to it”, the answer is probably “no”. So keep it simple, drive a FWD vehicle, put the up-front ($1500?) savings into your pocket, enjoy the “extra” 1-2 MPGs along the way, and sleep tight knowing you’ve got one less transmission-related failure point to worry about.
My sister owns a 2013 Denali Terrain and her transfer case went out. She had it towed to the local Chev. dealership. That was a BIG mistake but it is what it is. Anyway they told her she needed a new one at a cost of $1,200.00 for the transfer case and an additional $1000,00 for the labor!!! And get this - they told her that they're charging for 6 hrs. labor which means they charge a whopping She'll have $2,200.00 + invested in it when it is done and she has to wait a week or more for the new transfer case to come in! Personally, after looking over all of you here who've had the same problem I think there is a defect in them, but try to convince GM of that?!!!! Also, I don't think my sister's car has 40,000 miles on it yet but she bought it used so I know there isn't a warranty that will cover it. It is a shame so many people have had to endure this problem without compensation from GM when it seems there is definitely a problem with them!??

My sister owns a 2013 Denali Terrain and her transfer case went out. She had it towed to the local Chev. dealership. That was a BIG mistake but it is what it is. Anyway they told her she needed a new one at a cost of $1,200.00 for the transfer case and an additional $1000,00 for the labor!!! And get this - they told her that they're charging for 6 hrs. labor which means they charge a whopping She'll have $2,200.00 + invested in it when it is done and she has to wait a week or more for the new transfer case to come in! Personally, after looking over all of you here who've had the same problem I think there is a defect in them, but try to convince GM of that?!!!! Also, I don't think my sister's car has 40,000 miles on it yet but she bought it used so I know there isn't a warranty that will cover it. It is a shame so many people have had to endure this problem without compensation from GM when it seems there is definitely a problem with them!??
My best friends wife's '18 Honda CRV transfer case went bad at 40k miles. He bought a extended warranty when he bought the car used otherwise it was not in warranty. Things can and do fail in any vehicle.
On here is a very small sample of a T case failure over the ten's of thousands of these T cases out there over a decade of production so do not assume they have a issue with a couple reported failures and that GM should pickup the tab on a 8 yr old used vehicle with a unknown previous life.
I understand the need to vent but the is no ''widespread'' issue.
My '16 3.6 AWD Equinox has 80k miles on it now, T case is just fine and it gets serviced via the severe duty schedule.

It is a shame so many people have had to endure this problem without compensation from GM when it seems there is definitely a problem with them!??
Yeah ... just avoid AWD, if possible.

Reactions: Silversn95
The transfer case on our 2013 Equinox V-6 AWD failed at 44,000 miles. Chevy does not call back our independent repair shop that is trying to source the part. The local Chevy dealer called the part status as: National Control Part, which means 'it's either discontinued or made on a case-by-case basis'. How do I get a new transfer case? I don't want a used one, that may fail at any moment. What has been your experience on getting a new one? And cost for the parts & labor?

The transfer case on our 2013 Equinox V-6 AWD failed at 44,000 miles. Chevy does not call back our independent repair shop that is trying to source the part. The local Chevy dealer called the part status as: National Control Part, which means 'it's either discontinued or made on a case-by-case basis'. How do I get a new transfer case? I don't want a used one, that may fail at any moment. What has been your experience on getting a new one? And cost for the parts & labor?
Available on GM PartsDirect.
It doesn't say new so might be GM Factory Reman with warranty.
Part number # 23247710 ....$987.63 plus shipping.

I had my transfer case self destruct as well. When I bought the Nox 5+ years ago the transfer case was replaced by chevy at 75,000 km. It had been leaking and the first dealer couldn't seem to fix it. Took it to a second dealer who said the case was cracked and put in a brand new unit.

Fast forward 5 years, July 2021 ....... I'm at about 325,000 km so 250,000 on the transfer case. Oddly enough I was turning into a parking lot, same as OP, when all hell broke loose. I knew right away what it was - transfer case fluid all over the parking lot. I am too old and too busy to deal with it so I took it to a garage. I went online and "found" a brand new one from Chevy parts online for @ $1279 CAD. The garage found a used one with 116,000 km on it for $1200 and 6 month warranty - he said the junkyard told him they were hard to find. I offered to pay him extra to make up for his lost part markup so I could get the new one with one year warranty. As an ex-mechanic I knew it was bad form to ask this but the make up cash worked. He was a reasonable guy and I would recommend him to anyone in the ottawa area.

Ordered the part and on delivery day I got a call from the Chevy part place saying it is backordered 4 to 6 weeks from GM. Asked them to refund my money and called a few more places, same story - B/O from GM and none to be found, another Covid victim. Had to call the garage and ask him to get the used one - now the one they had was 130,000 km for same $1200. They offered a reman unit for "only" $2400!!!

I have no idea if the Covid transfer case shortage is now over, hopefully no one else has to deal with things like this.

I had my transfer case self destruct as well. When I bought the Nox 5+ years ago the transfer case was replaced by chevy at 75,000 km. It had been leaking and the first dealer couldn't seem to fix it. Took it to a second dealer who said the case was cracked and put in a brand new unit.

Fast forward 5 years, July 2021 ....... I'm at about 325,000 km so 250,000 on the transfer case. Oddly enough I was turning into a parking lot, same as OP, when all hell broke loose. I knew right away what it was - transfer case fluid all over the parking lot. I am too old and too busy to deal with it so I took it to a garage. I went online and "found" a brand new one from Chevy parts online for @ $1279 CAD. The garage found a used one with 116,000 km on it for $1200 and 6 month warranty - he said the junkyard told him they were hard to find. I offered to pay him extra to make up for his lost part markup so I could get the new one with one year warranty. As an ex-mechanic I knew it was bad form to ask this but the make up cash worked. He was a reasonable guy and I would recommend him to anyone in the ottawa area.

Ordered the part and on delivery day I got a call from the Chevy part place saying it is backordered 4 to 6 weeks from GM. Asked them to refund my money and called a few more places, same story - B/O from GM and none to be found, another Covid victim. Had to call the garage and ask him to get the used one - now the one they had was 130,000 km for same $1200. They offered a reman unit for "only" $2400!!!

I have no idea if the Covid transfer case shortage is now over, hopefully no one else has to deal with things like this.
The transfer case failed in October 2021 in our 2013 Equinox V6 at 44K miles. A new transfer case is still not available from Chevy dealers, as of Jan 20, 2022. A Chevy dealer in PA said the part would be available mid March 2022. (I was told in October 2021 that availability would be 'January 2022'.) Is anyone waiting for a transfer case? How long? What did you dealer say. Thanks.

Just because they show in stock, does not mean they actually are. Last August I ordered one online at ChevyParts or similar, Chevy dealer in Edmonton, AB. It said in stock, they took my $1400 and then called me day of delivery to say 4 to 6 weeks back order. I found other similar sites and called or emailed, they all had no stock.

Not saying these are the same, but call or email before ordering.

Holy carnage batman! I thought mine was bad. Mine just needs a new bearing on the big end. All gears look good. But I have asked 5 places here in Sarasota that do big truck stuff and nobody rebuilds them because you can't get the freaking parts for them. One guy was nice enough to go through GM for me and if you need a certain part you need to buy a 2nd part...in order to get the 2nd part you need the 3rd part and so on and so forth. Totally ridiculous. That same shop is now rebuilding my transmission that finally failed at 150K miles.

Our 2013 Terrain Denali has less than 46K on it and it was my parents car new from day 1. I have owned for a few months when I took in to the dealer just before Thanksgiving due to the weird noises. I suspected a final drive or transfer case problem and I just didn't want to try and tackle it myself. This transfer case is not available anywhere in the country. The dealer is capable of doing a national search by part number 84953427. There was only one in New York or New Jersey, I don't remember, back in November and that dealer would not sell it since it was for a customer awaiting it to be installed. The parts department at the dealer said that it has been on backorder since March of 2021 I believe! Supposedly the part is undergoing a redesign but I can't confirm this. A little digging and I believe I found that it is made by Gertrag which is a Germany company which makes manual transmissions and drive components for a very long time. According to the parts department there was over 690 of these on backorder in November of 2021. I'm not sure what that number is as of now. I have also called the local GMC Regional Zone Office back in December. They could not give any direct resolution. When I pressed them about a loaner or a replacement they acknowledged the fact that there is a problem getting the part from the supplier. Also if I needed a vehicle I could rent one and that after my car was repaired I could submit the expenses to GM and that they would reimburse up to something like $43 or 46 a day. A can't imagine how big this rental cost can get to alone for the manufacturer. I suggest anyone with their car at the GM dealer should call the Regional Zone office and let their voice be heard. I am somewhat fortunate as that this is an "extra" vehicle for us and I'm not making any payments on it other than car insurance. I would not recommend to put a used transfer case in your car because this is obviously a problem and you will be repeating the cycle unless your intension is just to sell it off.

Our 2013 Terrain Denali has less than 46K on it and it was my parents car new from day 1. I have owned for a few months when I took in to the dealer just before Thanksgiving due to the weird noises. I suspected a final drive or transfer case problem and I just didn't want to try and tackle it myself. This transfer case is not available anywhere in the country. The dealer is capable of doing a national search by part number 84953427. There was only one in New York or New Jersey, I don't remember, back in November and that dealer would not sell it since it was for a customer awaiting it to be installed. The parts department at the dealer said that it has been on backorder since March of 2021 I believe! Supposedly the part is undergoing a redesign but I can't confirm this. A little digging and I believe I found that it is made by Gertrag which is a Germany company which makes manual transmissions and drive components for a very long time. According to the parts department there was over 690 of these on backorder in November of 2021. I'm not sure what that number is as of now. I have also called the local GMC Regional Zone Office back in December. They could not give any direct resolution. When I pressed them about a loaner or a replacement they acknowledged the fact that there is a problem getting the part from the supplier. Also if I needed a vehicle I could rent one and that after my car was repaired I could submit the expenses to GM and that they would reimburse up to something like $43 or 46 a day. A can't imagine how big this rental cost can get to alone for the manufacturer. I suggest anyone with their car at the GM dealer should call the Regional Zone office and let their voice be heard. I am somewhat fortunate as that this is an "extra" vehicle for us and I'm not making any payments on it other than car insurance. I would not recommend to put a used transfer case in your car because this is obviously a problem and you will be repeating the cycle unless your intension is just to sell it off.
Same exact situation for us. We bought our 2013 V6 Equinox new, transfer case failed at 44,000 miles, so we cannot risk driving the car. We have been waiting since Sept 2021 for a new transfer case from GM. Time for a class action lawsuit? If anyone else has had a car out of commission, and cannot get a transfer case, I'd like to hear your situation.

Similar situation. 2015 GMC Terrain, 2.4l AWD with 79k miles. Transfer Case destroyed last week. Was pulling into a parking lot and started hearing a grinding noise on sharp turns. GMC dealer looked at vehicle and said transfer case was shot. $3,100 for the repair. 2 years out of powertrain warranty and no extended warranty. Dealer said no leaks or other issues they could see that caused it, just destroyed itself. Sounds like the theme is to avoid AWD if possible. No other issues with the vehicle since I bought it new so not sure if I should chalk it up to "these things happen" or start the complaint process as I have never in my life had a bad transfer case issue on any brand of vehicle.

I own a 2015 GMC AWD Terrain SLT, 75,000 miles. An object within the transfer case broke loose & shattered the case beyond repair,November 18 2021. It is June 2022, my car is still sitting at the dealership waiting for the part. The service manager stated that GM Rep will not state where the part is being manufactured. Supply chain delays & GM Vendors being understaffed or closed during 2021 has caused a lot of issues.
GM has been paying for my rental vehicle in 60 day increments, at this point the cost for the rental is more expensive than the part plus labor.

I have truly been inconvenienced. The sales person at the dealership had the audacity to ask me if I want to purchase a new vehicle with a $2500 rebate!!
In actuality they should be giving me a new vehicle for free: $13,500 market value, $2500 rebate & priceless value of emotional distress.

Why is not GM loyal to the customer when the assistance is needed? Considering that the transfer case seems to be a reoccurrence with GM, there should be a recall for the part.

This AWD Transfer Case fiasco just reminds me how glad I am to not own an AWD vehicle.

I think people have been brainwashed into thinking they need AWD, or that having it somehow makes their vehicle more "valuable".

I've been driving for over 30+ years, a third of that time in New England. I've never needed AWD.

Please explain to me who needs AWD?

Is it the person who lives out in the boonies where the snow can pile up, and where the roads don't get cleared quickly enough for them??? And .. then what (??) ... this person wants to drive through that with their AWD vehicle anyway ????

Don't most people who live in snow belt states live in places where the roads get sanded (or otherwise treated), and then plowed repeatedly as the snow is falling ??? By the time they're on the road ... the roads are cleared. What's AWD doing for you at that point? You hit a sheet of ice it isn't helping you any...

Is there another reason for wanting AWD? Do people want to go off-road, driving up and down sand dunes, or over uncleared paths full of mud holes and exposed boulders??? Is that what they're doing with it?

I've been away from New England for 27 years now, but I've been visiting at least twice a year since I left. I can't believe, during my home trips, how many vehicles I see in traffic up there that have the "AWD" badge on the back end! And this is in areas where I know the roads are cleared (religiously).

And now, down here in a "Sun Belt State": Same thing! AWD vehicles galore!

None of these people in these areas need AWD.

I think this stuff is just being jammed down people's throats by manufacturers and salesmen because it's more money up-front for them, and more repair dollars down the road.

This AWD Transfer Case fiasco just reminds me how glad I am to not own an AWD vehicle.

I think people have been brainwashed into thinking they need AWD, or that having it somehow makes their vehicle more "valuable".

I've been driving for over 30+ years, a third of that time in New England. I've never needed AWD.

Is it the person who lives out in the boonies where the snow can pile up, and where the roads don't get cleared quickly enough for them??? And .. then what (??) ... this person wants to drive through that with their AWD vehicle anyway ????

Don't most people who live in snow belt states live in places where the roads get sanded (or otherwise treated), and then plowed repeatedly as the snow is falling ??? By the time they're on the road ... the roads are cleared. What's AWD doing for you at that point? You hit a sheet of ice it isn't helping you any...

Is there another reason for wanting AWD? Do people want to go off-road, driving up and down sand dunes, or over uncleared paths full of mud holes and exposed boulders??? Is that what they're doing with it?

I've been away from New England for 27 years now, but I've been visiting at least twice a year since I left. I can't believe, during my home trips, how many vehicles I see in traffic up there that have the "AWD" badge on the back end! And this is in areas where I know the roads are cleared (religiously).

I think this stuff is just being jammed down people's throats by manufacturers and salesmen because it's more money up-front for them, and more repair dollars down the road.
I'm glad I had it in MA with some of the snow I dealt with. now that I'm in Sarasota the next vehicle I buy will be RWD or 4WD and probably a Duramax Tahoe.

Who services the T case oil? Very few folks and how many have failed without a regular 35k mile service.
Also incorrect or mixed size tire can be a factor also on AWD.
Lots of factors including who's performing the services/maintenance.
My ''fleet'' is all AWD or 4wd.

Yes, we have been brainwashed & also it’s profitable for the automotive company to promote AWD. But in haste we signed on the dotted line. Years ago it wasn’t even a discussion. Vehicle had FWD & there was never an issue.

The transfer case failed in October 2021 in our 2013 Equinox V6 at 44K miles. A new transfer case is still not available from Chevy dealers, as of Jan 20, 2022. A Chevy dealer in PA said the part would be available mid March 2022. (I was told in October 2021 that availability would be 'January 2022'.) Is anyone waiting for a transfer case? How long? What did you dealer say. Thanks.
Ok, here's our transfer case story: We purchased our used 2014 GMC Terrain SLT 3.6L in Nov 2020. It was in great shape although it had high mileage - 113,000+/-). Drove to Florida and back in late July 2021. In late Aug 2021, the transfer case went out. It was towed to the local GMC shop and has been there ever since, for 11 months now. I have been given so many expected dates of when the part is expected to be available and ship, only to have them all slip and have the dates changed. I called several other GMC dealers a few weeks ago just to check, and they all still show it on backorder from GM. The repairing dealer found a rebuilt one out of CA that they ordered, but it wouldn't fit for some reason. That place said they would ship another one, but 5-6 weeks later we still haven't received one which leads us to believe that they don't have one.

This vehicle has been in the shop (11 months) longer than I got to drive it (9 months). I am not the type of person that believes in suing at the "drop of a hat" and think there are way too many lawsuits anymore, but in this case, I am SOOO ready for a class action lawsuit against GM for failing to provide parts for their vehicles. This goes back to late 2019 and the strike, then we had all the COVID crap, but you'd think in 2.5 years they would have figured this out. I read an article the other day that GM is partnering with other companies to build 500 charging stations across the USA. So they can procure parts and spend the time and money to do that, but they can't/won't remedy a parts shortage!

We are a three-car family, and this had us down to two. Then a few weeks back my son hit a deer in my Jeep, and that has taken us down to one car. To me, the Jeep should have been totaled, but State Farm has decided to have it fixed. The body shop is running behind and can't get us in for almost 2 months. Then if they find more damage as they work on it, it could still be totaled at that point and we have waited all that time for nothing. It seems that everything is a challenge and takes forever anymore in this post-COVID world that we live in.

Ok, here's our transfer case story: We purchased our used 2014 GMC Terrain SLT 3.6L in Nov 2020. It was in great shape although it had high mileage - 113,000+/-). Drove to Florida and back in late July 2021. In late Aug 2021, the transfer case went out. It was towed to the local GMC shop and has been there ever since, for 11 months now. I have been given so many expected dates of when the part is expected to be available and ship, only to have them all slip and have the dates changed. I called several other GMC dealers a few weeks ago just to check, and they all still show it on backorder from GM. The repairing dealer found a rebuilt one out of CA that they ordered, but it wouldn't fit for some reason. That place said they would ship another one, but 5-6 weeks later we still haven't received one which leads us to believe that they don't have one.

This vehicle has been in the shop (11 months) longer than I got to drive it (9 months). I am not the type of person that believes in suing at the "drop of a hat" and think there are way too many lawsuits anymore, but in this case, I am SOOO ready for a class action lawsuit against GM for failing to provide parts for their vehicles. This goes back to late 2019 and the strike, then we had all the COVID crap, but you'd think in 2.5 years they would have figured this out. I read an article the other day that GM is partnering with other companies to build 500 charging stations across the USA. So they can procure parts and spend the time and money to do that, but they can't/won't remedy a parts shortage!

We are a three-car family, and this had us down to two. Then a few weeks back my son hit a deer in my Jeep, and that has taken us down to one car. To me, the Jeep should have been totaled, but State Farm has decided to have it fixed. The body shop is running behind and can't get us in for almost 2 months. Then if they find more damage as they work on it, it could still be totaled at that point and we have waited all that time for nothing. It seems that everything is a challenge and takes forever anymore in this post-COVID world that we live

We are a three-car family, and this had us down to two. Then a few weeks back my son hit a deer in my Jeep, and that has taken us down to one car. To me, the Jeep should have been totaled, but State Farm has decided to have it fixed. The body shop is running behind and can't get us in for almost 2 months. Then if they find more damage as they work on it, it could still be totaled at that point and we have waited all that time for nothing. It seems that everything is a challenge and takes forever anymore in this post-COVID world that we live in.
They should have stated that the transfer case is no longer available for that platform & will have to be manufactured. (was never told where, I guess it’s a secret, LOL!) Also, everyone who has a problem with the transfer case or any other issue with their vehicle should file a report with NHTSA.gov. Dealerships aren’t reporting the problem & GM might not have accurate data regarding the issue because most people are repairing it themselves or going to a mechanic they trust. Dealerships are charging $2800 for part & labor.
The government can’t force a recall unless an accident occurs or they have thousands of complaints. I filed my complaint & could not locate any others. Based on the comments on this forum, it has been an ongoing issue since the 1st generation GMC Terrain.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts