GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't imagine too many people will put brake controllers on. I have two snowmobile trailers, one has dual axles and electric brakes so I wired up the Equinox. I've yet to pull the big trailer loaded, obviously due to the season, but I did test it and the brakes come on fine. It was a bit of a challenge so perhaps a couple of comments will help you.

I ran the power direct to the positive post on the battery and put in an inline fuse. I also ran the ground direct to the negative terminal. The hardest part was finding the wire that only goes hot when the brakes are on. Forget about finding it under the dash. I can't remember the details now, but this car uses a different type of switch under there by the brake pedal. I found it in the back by the drivers side rear light. Take out the little plastic tray in the top of the left rear inner fender. There is a big bunch of wires right there. I can't remember the color, but trace them back to the stop light and it's pretty easy to figure out which one you need.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry, one more thing. You want the wire that powers the high mount brake light. So pop that out and you are down to two possible wires. (one is positive and one is ground). The wires are a bit tough to test just because they are such a fine guage, but it works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the help. I just finished installing my brake controller and it is quite a job. I ran a wire from the boosting positive post which is next to the fuse box under the hood to the back of the vehicle via a self resetting 20 amp circuit breakerwhich will provide 12 volts for charging the trailer battery while driving.

A second wire also via a 20 amps self resetting breaker to the inside of the vehicle to provide power to the electronic brake controller. I passed my two wires ( one bringing power to the brake controller and one leaving the brake controller to provide the braking power to the trailer magnets) next to the cable that opens the hood from the inside. Just pull the firewall rubber boot of the hood latch cable toward you and puch two small holes next to the hood release cable and once the wiring done push it back in place and voila.
I have used # 10 wire due to the demand that the trailer brake requires. Those two wires going to the back of the vehicle were fished inside of a wire loom about 3/8" in size and was fished to the back of the vehicle ty wrapped to the brake line that goes from the front to the back of the vehicle.

I put the Equinox on some stands but only on the driver side so tht I could make my way underneath from the front to the back. To sum up the time it took me I would easily say 4 to six hours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts