GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a trailer hitch installed at a GM dealer ?
I called to get a price for my 2011 Terrain SLE1, they quoted me $275 installed, they also mentioned the vehicle needs reprogramming, when I asked they did not know what that meant ????? Does anyone know ?

·
Registered
306 Posts
If they are going to also wire the Terrain for the trailer plug, that's probably not too bad of a price. You could probably do it yourself for a saving of $100 or so but is that amount of money worth it to you? The reprogram they are talking about is probably the shift points on the transmission to move them to a little bit higher rpm before each shift into a higher gear.
Good luck, Ron

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Budda-Boom-Budda-Bing said:
Has anyone had a trailer hitch installed at a GM dealer ?
I called to get a price for my 2011 Terrain SLE1, they quoted me $275 installed, they also mentioned the vehicle needs reprogramming, when I asked they did not know what that meant ????? Does anyone know ?
fACTORY OPTION IS 350.00 so 275.00 is not a bad price at all. Sounds like wiring is included as I see no reason to reprogram vehicle if they are just going to hang a piece of steel underneath it...

·
Registered
378 Posts
$275 instlaled, is that labor only or with part? Local place wanted $375 for instllation plus $250 for parts...what a rip off.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Budda-Boom-Budda-Bing said:
$275 is all parts and labor, based on price from GMC Dealer in Daytona Beach Florida. However the reprogramming was a mystery to the parts department.
E-trailer has a hitch that will fit on this vehicle for around $150.00 by the time you add labor to install and a wiring harness your up arount the 250 mark I would think
If they will install and program for 275 I'd be there tomorrow...
Realize that the I4 factory hitch is only 1 1/4 reciever and only "rated" to pull 1500 lbs. 6cyl is rated at 3500 I believe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a trailer hitch installed at a GMC Dealer in Daytona Beach, the cost was $252 for the hitch and wiring or $271 installed, it included the wiring harness and the plug is built in to the hitch, the reprogramming of the ECM was an extra 1.25 hr or about $120....total cost $400 with taxes.
One word of advice, if you are having the hitch installed at other than a dealer it probably will not include the reprogramming, as this is probably a dealer only function with their computers.
From what I have read on the forum it pays to go to the dealer and reduce the risk of voiding warranty.

·
Registered
378 Posts
What does reprogramming of ECM do:?

·
Registered
177 Posts
The reporogramming tells the ECM that there is now an electical connector with the hitch, so if what you are towing has tail lights, they will receive power.

·
Registered
378 Posts
nuclear1986 said:
The reporogramming tells the ECM that there is now an electical connector with the hitch, so if what you are towing has tail lights, they will receive power.
I guess for Uhaul hitch and wiritng they use a method that does not need this - I just got mine installed today and they did not need to do any progamming but wiriting is working.

·
Registered
149 Posts
equinox2 said:
I guess for Uhaul hitch and wiritng they use a method that does not need this - I just got mine installed today and they did not need to do any progamming but wiriting is working.
They probably just spliced into the rear brake wires.

·
Registered
149 Posts
equinox2 said:
RSchleder said:
If they are going to also wire the Terrain for the trailer plug, that's probably not too bad of a price. You could probably do it yourself for a saving of $100 or so but is that amount of money worth it to you? The reprogram they are talking about is probably the shift points on the transmission to move them to a little bit higher rpm before each shift into a higher gear.
Good luck, Ron
I hope it's not a significant change to the transmission. Those with a hitch on the 4cyl model can only tow 1500lbs, and will probably use this functionality very little. Seems odd that they would permanently modify every shift point for the life of the vehicle on the off chance that you 'may' tow very small loads here and there. Raising the shift points would likely have a negative impact on fuel economy as well right? If this is the case I would almost prefer to have the hitch installed at eTrailer and not touch the ECM, but that would suck if this voided the warranty.

·
Registered
149 Posts
nuclear1986 said:
You sure about that?

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
The owner's manual states the 4cyl can tow more than 1500 if the trailer has surge brakes. I think the limit is 2500 IIRC, but look it up to be sure. I think pulling the max limits would be OK if you towed on the flatlands. The transmission would be straining on the hills/mountains. The 4cyl has plenty of horsepower, just not enough torque, or a robust enough transmission.

It's goofy that the "BCM" has to be recalibrated :p at a cost of an hour labor. Engineers "recommend" a lot of things that to their minds is necessary, but in practical terms don't matter.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
GMJay said:
The owner's manual states the 4cyl can tow more than 1500 if the trailer has surge brakes. I think the limit is 2500 IIRC, but look it up to be sure. I think pulling the max limits would be OK if you towed on the flatlands. The transmission would be straining on the hills/mountains. The 4cyl has plenty of horsepower, just not enough torque, or a robust enough transmission.

It's goofy that the "BCM" has to be recalibrated :p at a cost of an hour labor. Engineers "recommend" a lot of things that to their minds is necessary, but in practical terms don't matter.
Just re read my manual and nowhere can I find where it says that you can tow more than 1500 lbs with a 4cyl..maybe my manual is a misprint...It does say without trailer brakes the maximum trailer weight is 1000 lbs and GCWR is 5,071lbs(2300kg). Just a thought

·
Registered
142 Posts
the electrical connector is live...you don't need to re-program anything...it is perfect for 4 wire connector...i had to run extra wire to back up light in tail-light as well since i need 5th wire for trailer back up brake release.

paid 6 bucks for car/vehicle side wire and cut off connector and hooked right in...you can use test light to see it for yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have ordered a Curt hitch and the 2011 recommended wiring harness from ETrailer.
I just called ETrailer and they have no information on reprogramming the ECM. I then called my dealers service writers and they said there is NO REPROGRAMMING required.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can anyone post a pic to show what the back of the Terrain looks like with a trailer hitch... i havent seen one yet.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts