GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have managed to get the new hitches wiring in place with the exception of the leading power wire. First I've never seen a powered 4 wire system before and wondered why but the main problem is, I've routed the power wire in the drivers area but for the life of me there is no way to even see a location to get it into the engine compartment, any tips.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
DMIMAGE said:
I have managed to get the new hitches wiring in place with the exception of the leading power wire. First I've never seen a powered 4 wire system before and wondered why but the main problem is, I've routed the power wire in the drivers area but for the life of me there is no way to even see a location to get it into the engine compartment, any tips.

Thanks
whats wrong with the connector thats already back there??? Simple plug and go setup guess your trying to do something else that I don't understand

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is not a factory GMC harness, it is plug and play but it also has a power wire for the converter box. I don't the factory would provide a trailer plug if it didn't come equipped with the tow package.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
DMIMAGE said:
This is not a factory GMC harness, it is plug and play but it also has a power wire for the converter box. I don't the factory would provide a trailer plug if it didn't come equipped with the tow package.
There is a connector in the rear that you only have to buy the factory harness that goes down thru the floorboard with its own grommet and it ends up in a 4 wire plug But it sounds like you already purchased something else and just need to hook up a wire

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
correct me if im wrong..

but the factory 4 pin plug- the pins are for the following. In no particular order..

1) ground
2)parking lamps
3)left turn
4)right turn

If you want a constant 12V power pin-- you have to go to 5-7 pin plug.

the easiest would be to run your 12V source- fused and maybe with a switch,
and run it to the back.
Then use the existing wiring- and get a 7 pin plug.... and use that.

for example... like this..you would have a couple of unused pins-- but thats fine.

(I have one of these on my 2013 Nox-
I use it so that I can use my cargo rack with lights that I also use on my Traverse and trailblazer- with factory 7 pin connector....
On the nox I only use the 4 pins necessary for the lights.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
ohhhh

wait-- I just reread your post..

your wiring kit- has the 4 pin plug.
But the newer kits have a power lead...
which is used to grab power from the battery-- so that the tailight circuit is left safe.

SO you want to know- HOW others have run the power wire from the back (Converter) to the battery in the engine bay.... correct?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rbarrios said:
ohhhh

wait-- I just reread your post..

your wiring kit- has the 4 pin plug.
But the newer kits have a power lead...
which is used to grab power from the battery-- so that the tailight circuit is left safe.

SO you want to know- HOW others have run the power wire from the back (Converter) to the battery in the engine bay.... correct?
You hit right on the head, i have the power cable routed to the drivers side front but man these vehicles really have a lot going on. Covers over everything and i dont want to break anything, but it nearly impossible to see under the dash. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts