GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take long trips and the terrain is not living up to the 30mpg as advertised. So getting the cruze eco for this reason is my top one. I tested several cars and the cruze felt the best. I will loose cargo space but it seems that I never use it anyways. I weighed in my options and it is a good move for me. However I can't make a decision to do the trade. My payment will be less filling up will be less. I guess I'm just used to feeling king driving the terrain sitting up high and the suspension is much better. Any thoughts to my crazyness??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
I am thinking this may be one of those ideas that sound good, but perhaps isn't. Number one I think at this point in the Terrains life it is going to cost you quite a bit in trade in value. If it was a 4 or 5 year old x-mobile it would be different.

On the MPG front (assuming there isn't a mechanical reason your not getting desired milage) if your driving conditions or driving style don't allow the 'T' to do as expected there is no reason to believe the Cruze will do as well as you think it might. Just my thoughts, right or wrong ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the trade in offering I'm actually getting 5.5k and I can use that as a deposit. Plus I have the family discount. So the money value may be in my favor.
I'm seeing the good of it but I'm not seeign the bad of it. Usually impulse decisions cloud us from the bad. I make impulse decisions but I'm trying to avoid making another until I see more of the reality. Normally our driving is at the speed limit, nothing aggressive. We occasionally use the cruise control but not as much . This is the first time that I'm stuck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
There is another thread about the Chevy Cruze...

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=2821.0

"I just got out of my 2011 Chevy Cruze, 2LT. Bad, Bad Transmission and I had a tussle with GM and the dealer, the dealer came through, and I traded into a Equinox LTZ-AWD. Thus far much, much better than the Cruze, in ride, performance (LTZ is a 4 cyl), equipment, etc. MPG on the Cruze was about 21 tops so anything I get close to 21 is fine with me. I know it is an AWD, so I understand the MPG issue."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Are you going with manual or automatic transmission?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,271 Posts
jzpunltd said:
With the trade in offering I'm actually getting 5.5k and I can use that as a deposit. Plus I have the family discount. So the money value may be in my favor.
I'm seeing the good of it but I'm not seeign the bad of it. Usually impulse decisions cloud us from the bad. I make impulse decisions but I'm trying to avoid making another until I see more of the reality. Normally our driving is at the speed limit, nothing aggressive. We occasionally use the cruise control but not as much . This is the first time that I'm stuck.
R U saying that the dealer is going to pay off your Terrain and give you another 5.5k?
Sorry I don't understand what your saying... what year is your Terrain and how much have you paid on it (all factors i guess)
I myself would stay with the Terrain for a little longer till the Cruz has been ouut there and proven
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
R U saying that the dealer is going to pay off your Terrain and give you another 5.5k?
Sorry I don't understand what your saying... what year is your Terrain and how much have you paid on it (all factors i guess)
I myself would stay with the Terrain for a little longer till the Cruz has been ouut there and proven
He is saying....Trade-in value equals X...He owes 5.5k UNDER trade-in value

Dealer "buys" your car from you...They buy it usually at black book trade-in value......If you owe less then that, the rest of the money is used as a downpayment on the new car. A few years ago I sold a car to autonation w/o purchasing a car, they ended up paying me 5k with a check, and then paying bank off for the rest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
pawjr74 said:
There is another thread about the Chevy Cruze...

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=2821.0

"I just got out of my 2011 Chevy Cruze, 2LT. Bad, Bad Transmission and I had a tussle with GM and the dealer, the dealer came through, and I traded into a Equinox LTZ-AWD. Thus far much, much better than the Cruze, in ride, performance (LTZ is a 4 cyl), equipment, etc. MPG on the Cruze was about 21 tops so anything I get close to 21 is fine with me. I know it is an AWD, so I understand the MPG issue."
The Cruze is not really for me, but if it was I wouldn't let the transmission stop me. There is nothing wrong with the transmission hardware itself, just that the programming is set for maximum fuel efficiency at the cost of smooth performance. I'm sure GM will offer a software reprogramming (not a recall but a service bulletin) soon for those that complain to their dealers....just like the trans on the Nox/Terrain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
Oh, and as far as trade-ins go...the dealer will always come out ahead on the deal either by lowballing the trade-in amount or getting a high price selling your used vehicle, but these days low mileage used cars (and especially something like the Terrain) are in short supply and heavy demand. The dealer should be willing to give a little more for the trade-in than they would have a few years ago when cash for clunkers and people hanging on to their cars longer strangled the used market inventory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,271 Posts
grometsc said:
He is saying....Trade-in value equals X...He owes 5.5k UNDER trade-in value

Dealer "buys" your car from you...They buy it usually at black book trade-in value......If you owe less then that, the rest of the money is used as a downpayment on the new car. A few years ago I sold a car to autonation w/o purchasing a car, they ended up paying me 5k with a check, and then paying bank off for the rest.
After buying 32 new vehicles in my lifetime of 64 years I hope by now I know how it works... I was trying to figure out how much he had invested in his Terrain that would factor againest the purchase of his Cruz he may have put down 10000 on his purchase of the Terrain and thats how he's getting back 5.5k We don't know
If it was me, I'd stay with the Terrain Just saying
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
If it was me, I'd stay with the Terrain Just saying
[/quote]

+1 to that!! But in all reality i don't think that i would EVER be in a position to get rid of my OnxBear (terrain), i am a very satisfied customer/driver.[/color] :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I don't think the fuel economy is too bad in the Nox I-4, my lifetime average of 40/60 driving is 25-26 mpg with AWD. I for one would not want to give up 700 lb weight difference for 5 or 6 more mpg. At my mileage rate of 32,000 yr that would only save $72 per month and no AWD, no extra utility, and smaller (less safe given the weight difference).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
jzpunltd said:
However I can't make a decision to do the trade.
If you're not certain...it would probably be a good idea to wait awhile...

A decision made with haste and/or without conviction can often be regretted soon after
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top