GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I have an '06 F-150 and the mpg is just killing me. Looking to trade down for a CUV class vehicle with better milage. The catch is that maybe 3 or 4 weekends per year, I do use the cargo capacity of the F-150 to go camping, and need something that will still haul all my gear, while getting good milage the rest of the year.

First thing that caught my eye is a Ford Edge. 30mpg highway, turbocharge on the I4, all the techno gadgets to keep a computer nerd like me happy. But alot of fluff I don't need or want (leather seats, ambient lighting, power lift-gate, etc) and a steep pirce to go with it.

Then I noticed the Equinox, which at first glance seems to be the same car, minus all the fluff I don't want, with a price tag $13k cheaper. And it can have a sunroof and a roof-rack at the same time, which the Edge can't.

I am hesitant for two reasons. One, I've read that the 4 cylinder without a Turbo on the Nox is underpowered, and that would presumably be more noticable when its full of gear. My second hesitation is because I have heard horror stories about the Quality Control and the customer service on the Nox being an absolute nightmare.

Thoughts from the community?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't drive an Equinox but I do have the 2012 Terrain. You may like the 6 cyl Terrain. Equinox and Terrain are the same cars except for the sheet metal on the outside.

I have the 4cyl and load it up pretty full when I travel to dog shows. I've never had an issue with the 4 cyl feeling under powered. I do not tow anything though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 4banger, with dealer installed trailer hitch. The 1st time I towed with it, was from NM to MI. I was carrying a Harley, many parts for it, a carrier (a Thule that attaches to the hitch), and a few other things. Plus the car was full, as I don't travel light. Also my brother was traveling with me.
Only a few times back, did I have to use the manual/shift limiter system. It pulled that trailer with out strain, and gave me decent MPGs.
Since I have been back, I have used the trailer to move, buy furniture and appliances, and a few other needs. never have I felt that the Equinox (Queequeg is it's name) let me down, and always gave me good, not great, MPGs, when towing.
Every load, road, and situation will be different, but I'm happy with this car (save the drivers seat).
Before I decided on the Equinox, I looked at the fords, and they were just too expensive. Nice, but to much. I really like the interior of the Equinox, and feel that it was the quietest and the ride is better then the jeep I traded in.
Good luck in your decision. :thumb:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Having owned both, I would say... walk away from the Equinox and buy an Edge. You can get an SEL and delete leather, ambient lighting, etc.

Edge rides better, has more power (speaking V6s here) and the technology can't be beat.

Can't comment on the Ecoboost in the Edge.... wouldn't touch a 4-cylinder anything.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The Edge was on my list when I was CUV shopping, but I wasn't impressed with the interior (09 model) or the asking price. I don't think the Edge or the Nox/Terrain are going to be able to haul the same amount of gear as your F-150...but if you scale back a bit it could work. I have the 4cyl and have had none of the issues that you read about here....but I'll bet if you join a forum dedicated to the Edge you'll find some things there that will make you wonder about quality control/build quality. That's just the nature of online forums...many join simply because they have an issue, while people who don't are silent.

·
Registered
698 Posts
NoobNox said:
I'll bet if you join a forum dedicated to the Edge you'll find some things there that will make you wonder about quality control/build quality.
I'm part of the largest Edge forum on the net and I can say that 95% of the threads there pertain to the My Ford Touch system and its issues. Some have lots of problems - others (myself included) have none at all.

Pre-2011 models can't be compared to the newer models. The new interiors are pretty impressive.

Certainly not the breadth and depth of issues detailed here. But, to be fair, the Edge has been on the market since 2006 I believe.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Equinox/Terrain over Ford Edge - Definitely. I just pondered this thought all last week. It all came down to options and price. For the price I purchased my 2012 Terrain I would have got a base model Edge with a boring interior and no options like sunroof, heated seats, remote start, 8-way power drivers seat, on-star, etc. I also chose to get the 4 cyl for better mpg as I normally do most of my driving in the city. Edge's only come in a 6 cyl. However, I'm also not going to be towing with it. I'll just trade cars with my dad if need be. So look at your uses and decide which option fits your needs!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd go with the ford. My fiancé wanted the equinox ltz and only thing she didn't like was the looks of the edge instead of the equinox. If it were me I would have gone with ford.

You ever think of getting a 2012 f150 with the ecoboost???? With the rebates and stuff you can get one For a great price. I test drove a few when I was thinking of trading in my 2006 mustang gt but decided to keep the car til it's paid off in a few months. The f150 will definitely be my next vehicle. Ecoboost engine is nice!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm Chris this is my 1st post here.

I'm coming at this from the opposite direction as the OP. I'm currently driving an '01 Hyundai Accent with a 1.6l I-4 and 5sp manual transmission.

I'm looking at CUV's because I'm an avid bicyclist and it's nice to be able to fold down the seats and lay your bike in vs. dealing with bike racks.

So, yesterday I did 2 test drives: 1st a low mileage Honda Accord Crosstour, good space for what I need, not quite as practical for hauling as a equinox, but much better than a sedan. Next I drove 2012 Equinox LS I-4. Even though this was the base model it was, to me, nicer inside than the more expensive Honda. Both were of course worlds ahead of my little Accent. The Accent is a great car for what it is, an 11 year old, basic transportation car.

For me, even though I drove both very conservatively the Honda just felt better, I could hardly tell it was shifting. The Equinox was fine around town, but when we merged onto the freeway it lagged as I didn't gas it aggressively.

So my question: Is it my technique? Do I need to drive the I-4 aggesively when merging? For me, it's not so much cylinder count or displacement, more than I just hardly ever drive automatics, in fact I've never owned one before.

In the Hyundai since I'm the one shifting I just hold it in gear an extra 500 - 1000 rpm then I normally would and get decent acceleration for merging.

Does anyone use the "manual" mode on their Equinox? I didn't think to try it when I test drove.

It's just going to be me in the car most of the time and I don't plan to tow anything and I live in So Cal so I don't need AWD either. The 4 should work, but I wasn't crazy about it.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
When it comes to merging with the 2012 equinox I-4 just hold the pedal to the floor and never let off till your at traffic speed, you can't baby it on the on ramps, its programmed to save fuel so the transmission doesn't like to hold gears...I floor mine all the time..it sounds like crap as the motor screams for its life but I still average 24mpg mixed driving.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I didn't even bother to look at the Edge because it was expensive with the things that I need in the car(I'm not that crazy about the MyFord Touch because it's going to get complicated overtime). So I just look at the Terrain V6 and as of right now i'm averaging 20-21mpg in city driving. I drove the 4 cyl terrain but I just figure that I probably need more oomph if I drive out of town. And for me, the Edge is kinda about the same size as the Nox/Terrain for thousands less. I wouldn't also even bother to look at the new Escapes because it cost about the same price as the Theta twins and it's 4 cyl so that would be a deal breaker for me. when fully loaded the Escape Titanium is about $37 grand and I can just buy the Terrain Denali with V6 and runs faster.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
While the Edge is a nice vehicle it is just way over priced for what you get and the hit on resale is even worse.

We looked and it was very nice but the sticer for a similar mode to the GMC was nearly $11,000 more. There are few rebates now on either so all things being equal the GMC was out better deal.

As for the manual **** it is more for gearing down and up if you need to. It by no means is a replacement for a manual.

The only real negitive is weight on the Nox or Terrain. But on the other side they hold up well in crashes and are as quiet and comfortable as anything in class.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Did the car shopping thing in December after my accident. The only two mid/small SUV that I fit into were the Equinox/Terrain. Although it was my wifes car, I still drive it more than she does. So I had to fit in it. I was surprised how many cars I didn't fit in even with the seat all the way back and the steering wheel tilt up. Edge was the number one car on my wifes list until I burst her bubble and didnt fit.(being 6'4" 240lbs)

My wife drove the I4 and hated the lack of power. We then drove the v6 and were set on it. Tow capability of the V6 is 3500lbs vs the I4 1500lb capacity.

As for bike transport someone mentioned, get a tow hitch and tow hitch mounted bike rack. A lot better than carrying the bike inside the car or on the roof.

·
Registered
698 Posts
^ strange. I'm a big guy too and I find I have more room in the Edge than the Terrain. Of course both models have sunroofs so that might factor in somehow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Terrain said:
^ strange. I'm a big guy too and I find I have more room in the Edge than the Terrain. Of course both models have sunroofs so that might factor in somehow.
According to most reviewers of the Nox, it has more seat range than any other in its class.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Re: Re: Trading in an F-150, Equinox vs Ford Edge

Test drove a edge before getting terrain in may. Edge 4 cyl Turbo was terrible on gas. You REALLY had to baby it all the time to get any decent numbers. The edge leather interior was very blah and nothing near the the brownstone leather with red stitching on the terrain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts