GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Default, the traction control/stabilitrac is ON............correct ? When I start my vehicle the tire/TC symbol is X-ed out and the vehicle spin symbol is off.
When I press the center console button once,the DIC says OFF,press again and it is ON .Turn vehicle off,restart and they are both off again.
Your thoughts please.

As a side note and first occurrence today,there is a small 2inch+- trim piece at the rear of the roof rails that is connecting with/scraping the hatch as it is lifted.
This lift apparently pushed it back in a bit as it has clearance now but you can see a mis-alignment/bad design with such a small trim piece.

Thanks

·
Registered
481 Posts
Take it in to the dealer. You are correct. The default for TC and Stabilitrak is ON. Very odd that yours defaults to off. Something isn't right. They can also fix the issue with the rear hatch.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
It's just a self test of the warning lights when you start up the engine....both TC and Stabilitrac are always on by default. If yours was off by default then pushing the button once would turn it on..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Default is on however mine reverts back to off after I shutdown.I can manually turn it on but shouldn't have to !
Self check shows it as off

·
Registered
246 Posts
Tjpc said:
When I press the center console button once,the DIC says OFF,press again and it is ON .Turn vehicle off,restart and they are both off again.
Your thoughts please.
Can you define what is off and what is on, or how you see what as on or off.

When you say you press the center console button (I assume you mean the traction control button) once and it shows off, then that means it was on and you turned it off. But the little orange symbol on the dash stays on after you start the vehicle, or no?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Tjpc said:
Default is on however mine reverts back to off after I shutdown.I can manually turn it on but shouldn't have to !
Self check shows it as off
You said in your first post that when you hit the button once it says "off" which is what it should do, and means that TC was already on. Like I said earlier, when you first start the car the "TC" with the slash through it will show up momentarily, but that is just a self test and doesn't mean that it's off. Does your TC light with the slash or X through it stay on while you are driving?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No lights are on when driving.I assume on self check the vehicle would show/confirm that it is ON with no slashed TC which would signify it as being OFF
I'm getting it now.............whereas GM wouldn't have the room in the gage cluster for "ON" and "OFF" or "INOP" lights for each function they
must choose wisely on what to show.I think they should show it as "ON" during self check because they have the "OFF" light that will stay on if the system is actually off. Why have 2 off lights/symbols !

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Tjpc said:
No lights are on when driving.I assume on self check the vehicle would show/confirm that it is ON with no slashed TC which would signify it as being OFF
I'm getting it now.............whereas GM wouldn't have the room in the gage cluster for "ON" and "OFF" or "INOP" lights for each function they
must choose wisely on what to show.I think they should show it as "ON" during self check because they have the "OFF" light that will stay on if the system is actually off. Why have 2 off lights/symbols !
Well, I guess we think differently because to me it makes sense. Considering that TC/Stabilitrac are always on by default...the only warning light you really need is one that tells you when those things are turned off. If there was a light that was always on (with TC and no slash or X) then it would be ignored over time, and most drivers wouldn't notice if the button got pushed accidentally and turned it off..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"whereas GM wouldn't have the room in the gage cluster for "ON" and "OFF" or "INOP" lights for each function they
must choose wisely on what to show"....................Only meant for the self checking mode

Your right there can be so many ways of looking at it,more opinions always better

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Tjpc said:
By Default, the traction control/stabilitrac is ON............correct ? When I start my vehicle the tire/TC symbol is X-ed out and the vehicle spin symbol is off.
Your thoughts please.

As a side note and first occurrence today,there is a small 2inch+- trim piece at the rear of the roof rails that is connecting with/scraping the hatch as it is lifted.
This lift apparently pushed it back in a bit as it has clearance now but you can see a mis-alignment/bad design with such a small trim piece.

Thanks
I would also recommend contacting your local dealership for more assistance. They should be able to assist you further. I can also look into this further for you. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Please feel free to keep me posted either way. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tricia, I am comfortable with the reasoning and other opinions/thoughts and believe the TC is functioning normal.

The trim piece is a minor issue and will be brought to dealers attention when a visit is needed.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Tjpc said:
Tricia, I am comfortable with the reasoning and other opinions/thoughts and believe the TC is functioning normal.

The trim piece is a minor issue and will be brought to dealers attention when a visit is needed.

Thanks
Thank you for the reply. Feel free to keep me informed with any new developments. Thank you again.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you hold down your TRACTION CONTROL button for 8 seconds, with the vehicle running it will cancel your traction control and your electronic stability control, this is handy if you are stuck on some ice, snow, mud, etc......CHEERS

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
Norm985 said:
If you hold down your TRACTION CONTROL button for 8 seconds, with the vehicle running it will cancel your traction control and your electronic stability control, this is handy if you are stuck on some ice, snow, mud, etc......CHEERS
... or want to do some donuts in the snow by putting cafeteria food trays under your rear tires and putting on the emergency brake - providing you have FWD.

Note : Do not try this at home ! Find a large parking lot without any poles or cars in it. I "understand" that it is fun !

See Southerners - there is an "advantage" to having snow/ice/freezing cold !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts