GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Glad I found this forum.

I have a 2011 SLE AWD Terrain, 4 cylinder. I have Traction Control employed and have been on slick roads several times. I'm doubting that traction control is kicking in. I have felt the truck slip a few times under these conditions. Wouldn't I see the image on the instrument panel light up if it were employed? Maybe it only kicks in when there's a severe loss of control?

Thank you.

Fran

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Traction control mostly limits wheelspin to one wheel more than the other when taking off from a standing start. Traction control can't prevent the wheels from spinning on slick surfaces...it just makes sure that both drive wheels (assuming you have 2WD) are getting equal power. You may be thinking of stability control which uses automatic braking to each individual wheel and helps prevent the rear end from "fishtailing".

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I guess the above posts pretty much explain it. Unless I make sudden jerky-like maneuvers, I shouldn't expect to see traction control kick in simply on account of slippery, wintery conditions. And I have AWD, not FWD. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
gar187er said:
traction control is designed so you dont spin out making hasty quick maneuvers...usually in emergency situations....

http://www.autotropolis.com/wiki/index.php?title=Stabilitrak

AWD is there to help keep moving....
Traction control limits wheel spin in low traction situations. Stability Control or Stabilitrak as GM calls it, helps to straighten out the vehicle (up to a point. The laws of physics still apply) if it gets into a slide or similar situation.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I suggest you find a big parking lot after a good snow and turn off traction control and stabilitrak (hold the button for approx 5 seconds) and play around with how the vehicle reacts. Then turn it on and see the difference in where the system kicks in.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can turn off Stabilitrak too? Didn't think I could.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Crow. ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
franmorr1966 said:
Thanks, Crow. ;)
No problem. I thought it was a very interesting video the first time I saw it. It does a nice job of explaining a few things.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Got to try out traction control tonight what with all the ice on the roads tonight and it really seems to work well.
I got to say a wind chill of -0 is not a lot of fun.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I'll take your word for it, Z. :) I'm going nowhere.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Would turning of Traction Control and Stabilitrak make a difference in the mpg the Terrain could get?

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
jdubs1211 said:
Would turning of Traction Control and Stabilitrak make a difference in the mpg the Terrain could get?
Probably, but I doubt if you could measure the difference. Probably in the thousandth of a MPG !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts