GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any advantages to driving with the Traction Control and Stabilitrac turned Off ?

Why would there be an on/off control for these, I don't know why anyone would want the Stabilitrac off ?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I heard, and this is when I bought my 2004 Pontiac Aztek back in the day, that you want TC off if you are stuck in the snow. The reason is basically TC applies breaking to the wheel that is slipping and well, being stuck in snow is a wheel slipping. Otherwise you want it on at all times. Not sure how valid that was, but that's what I was told on December 3, 2003.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Street racers turn it off.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
yep, thats why I turn it off.. :thumb: :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
JediSkipdogg said:
I heard, and this is when I bought my 2004 Pontiac Aztek back in the day, that you want TC off if you are stuck in the snow. The reason is basically TC applies breaking to the wheel that is slipping and well, being stuck in snow is a wheel slipping. Otherwise you want it on at all times. Not sure how valid that was, but that's what I was told on December 3, 2003.
That is my understanding also, think I read it in the manual. On my 2011 Terrain, a quick push shuts off the TC onlly. You have to hold it down for a few seconds to also shut of the StabilTrack.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
As already mentioned, you'll want to try turning TC off if you have trouble getting out of your driveway/parking lot because of snow...but after you're moving you'll want it on. Turning Stabilitrac off on a vehicle like this is much less useful...unless of course you're in the habit of taking it to track days. :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tc=traction control......... hence leave it on. Faster spinning tires while stuck not always a better eay to go. More power to the wheels that grip. Easy does it will get u unstuck

·
Registered
161 Posts
pacman said:
Tc=traction control......... hence leave it on. Faster spinning tires while stuck not always a better eay to go. More power to the wheels that grip. Easy does it will get u unstuck
If you are moving forward, you should hve TC engaged. And yes less power and not spinning can move you forward. However if you are stuck in one spot and want to rock it back and forth to get unstuck, you may want TC off.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
Terrain2011 said:
If you are moving forward, you should hve TC engaged. And yes less power and not spinning can move you forward. However if you are stuck in one spot and want to rock it back and forth to get unstuck, you may want TC off.
Just curious - Why will TC=off be better for rocking a car ? I would think you would always want it ON, unless you want to impress the neighbors with a smoky burnout !! ;D

·
Registered
161 Posts
RIT333 said:
Just curious - Why will TC=off be better for rocking a car ? I would think you would always want it ON, unless you want to impress the neighbors with a smoky burnout !! ;D
It does not get very smokey when there is an ice base and l12 inches of snow on top of it. All I know is you want a little spin (not a lot) when rocking out of a snow stuck. I have done it many times. If the TC keeps cycling on and off it may not allow the rocking rythm to take place. Below is an excerpt from the 2011 Terrain owner manual.

If the Vehicle is Stuck
Slowly and cautiously spin the
wheels to free the vehicle when
stuck in sand, mud, ice, or snow.
If stuck too severely for the traction
system to free the vehicle, turn the
traction system off and use the
rocking method. See Traction
Control System (TCS) on
page 9‑39.

{WARNING
If the vehicle's tires spin at high
speed, they can explode, and you
or others could be injured. The
vehicle can overheat, causing an
engine compartment fire or other
damage. Spin the wheels as little
as possible and avoid going
above 55 km/h (35 mph).[/color]

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
Thanks - If I ever get stuck, hopefully, now I will remember to turn TC off.

:thumb:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I just leave it on, just like the TC in my 02 Impala, I leave it on. Seems Stabilitrac should stay on as well for safety, I guess thats why both default to on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts