GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i buy separate winter rims and tires do i NEED the TPMS?? can i turn it off somehow to avoid the idiot lights?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hi Cameron,

I've not installed tpms on my winter wheels... When i start the car i get a message on the DIC that i push CLEAR and it never come back. There also a yellow light that blinks for 2 or 3 minutes then go fix after that. Not very annoying.

Just wanted to share with you.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok well thats an idea too, thanks Supermat

the other part of my "what to do" is get some winter rubber and get it mounted on the stock 17's and then try to pick up some OEM 18's or another style of 18's over the Winter to put back on, for summer use. my hang up right now is i only have about $1000 to spend on winter rims/rubber if i even decide to go that route. and when i add in a couple hundred bucks worth of TPMS sensors it really limits my options.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well... It would be a lot higher than that...

Only the sensors are about 240$ + wheels at least 125$ per wheel + tires.......

It goes up fast... The sensors are not really needed for about 3 months a year

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i quoted out a set from Tirerack.com and it was about $1200 before shipping. called the dealership and inquired and they emailed me back with a $2400 quote...

thats what got me thinking about just buying 4 winter tires for $125-150 a pop and getting the installed on the OEM 17's. That way i have the TPMS already there and 5 months to pinch some pennies and get a new set of summer wheels and tires. (put my raise to good work haha)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Go to the end of your quote on tirerack... about 150$ shipping + taxes + duties... it get's a lot higher for us canadians

Cameron said:
i quoted out a set from Tirerack.com and it was about $1200 before shipping. called the dealership and inquired and they emailed me back with a $2400 quote...

thats what got me thinking about just buying 4 winter tires for $125-150 a pop and getting the installed on the OEM 17's. That way i have the TPMS already there and 5 months to pinch some pennies and get a new set of summer wheels and tires. (put my raise to good work haha)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah when i entered the info it was + $326 shipping i think. i don't think i would buy from them, they aren't THAT much cheaper than going to some of the local shops. found that out when i was looking for rims for my 03 monte carlo. The holy crap quote i got was from the dealership, i don't remember what rims or tires that was for but $2400 was CRAZY!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts