GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've given some thought on getting new wheels to replace the 18" machined wheels on the Terrain. I'll probably use the tires that came with the vehicle. Anyone switched them out yet? Do the sending units inside the factory wheels work on a replacement wheels? Never replaced wheels on a vehicle with TPMS before. Just thinking....

·
Registered
635 Posts
Islander said:
I've given some thought on getting new wheels to replace the 18" machined wheels on the Terrain. I'll probably use the tires that came with the vehicle. Anyone switched them out yet? Do the sending units inside the factory wheels work on a replacement wheels? Never replaced wheels on a vehicle with TPMS before. Just thinking....

You have to buy rims with the TPMS integrated into the rim. EditXXXX you can buy seperatelyXXXXXWhen I priced out winter tires, I was shown rims with and without the TPMS.

If you buy rims without the sending unit you will get error messages that eventually go away. I don't know if that is every time you restart the vehicle or not.

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
I thought the TPMS was a separate item that is connected to the valve stem, and could be installed on just about any rim. But, I could be wrong - wouldn't be the 1st time.

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
I really don't think I'm wrong, but I'm just doing a litlle CMA action, I've seen them for sale as a individual item from Tirerack !

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
But what do I know - I'm the guy that has waited over 4 months for an Equinox. Now they tell me it will be built next week. With my luck, there will be a Strike at the Factory on Monday.

·
Registered
49 Posts
RIT333 said:
With my luck, there will be a Strike at the Factory on Monday
Oh I sure hope not. Mine is supposed to be built next week too! :)

M

·
0 Posts
I know this topic is a little old but I'm posting pics to clarify to everyone that the TPMS sensors a separate replaceable items, they're not built in to the rim. This is a set of OEM 17" Aluminum wheels, 2010/11 I got for a dedicated set of winter tires. The pctures show the low profile TPMS sensor that is part of the valve.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
Can I get a some of you to remove your tire's valve cap, and tell me whether the valve core (the little device inside of the valve stem, with a pointed piece that you push in to remove air) is Brass (copper-colored), or Nickel (silver-colored). I bought some TPMSs to use on Winter Wheels, and they didn't come with the valve cores, and Schrader - maker of the TPMSs - says that they SHOULD be Nickel, or else they will make a chemical reaction and with seize inside the valve-stem.

FYI - Mine on the factory wheels are Brass (cooper-colored) and Schrader Company was VERY surprised.

THANK YOU for the help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine is brass.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Brass.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Is it really brass or just brass-colored? Couldn't the pin be some other material and have a corrosion-resistant plating on it that happens to look like brass?

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
mnussbaum said:
Is it really brass or just brass-colored? Couldn't the pin be some other material and have a corrosion-resistant plating on it that happens to look like brass?
Thx for resurecting this topic. Schraeder told me that "brass" would react electronically and make it impossible to be able to remove the cores.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just bought new wheels(rims) and just reused the TPMS sensors although the just used the bottom (sensor) and added new stems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same here. I bought 19" aftermarket chrome wheels and reused the TPMS sensors with new valve stems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts