GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering replacing my Chinese made Hankook tires that came on my 2018 Equinox Premier 2.0T. I'm hoping to get rid of an annoying vibration. I had the dealer check the wheel balance and verified it at an independent tire dealer. I know there are a lot of tires out there, here in Oregon we have Les Schwab tire stores and they have the Toyo Open Country Q/T tires. These are considered one of their "premium" tires at $295 each. They offer a 45 day/500 mile trial period with a full refund if I don't like them. Wondering of anyone has experience with these tires on any vehicle.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Why not look at a premium American made brands? 500 miles is not a long test period. Any issues that will pop up will be after that mark.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
$295 seems high per tire, I checked out tire prices for the Acadia and pricing for those were running around $200 - 250 per tire between $850 - 1000 installed.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
$295 does indeed sound high.

I go to a small mom and pop tire shop. For My Traverse.

Got Toyo Versados CUVs for $161.70

Versados- 4x. ($161.70)..........$646.80
Computer balance 4x. ($10).....$40
------------------------------------
$686.80
CA 9% tax.............................$58.20
-------------------------------------
Out the door price on tires....... $745

For the Equinox Toyo Versado CUVs were $570 out the door.

the Versado CUVs were replaced by the Celcius I believe. But I was very pleased with the Toyos. Very quiet- compared to OEM.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would find and read as many reviews as possible on the Toyo. You should be able to make a well educated decision based on reviews. As has been stated there are many different and types of tires out there and having others opines about said tires is invaluable. I also prefer the small guy shop as opposed to chains. The chains have a habit of pushing a product that they have a large markup on. It may not be the best deal. The small guy shops can order anything you want if they dont happen to have it in stock. Plus they will be more honest in their recommendations.

What kind of a ride are you looking for? Soft and squishy, hard and tight, all weather, winter? Continental, Nokian, Firestone. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Very nice tires. Had them on the acadia. Had the noir series on the passat. Very quiet tires and you get the miles for sure

·
Registered
578 Posts
I put Bridgestone Alenza on my '16. $800 out the door at the dealer, they match everyone around here plus got a $100 rebate. OEM Michelin didn't have enough left on them a 45k for another winter. I went with the Alenza as I've been happy with them on my Tahoe, good snow grip and wear. Same cost on the Tahoe also, 'nox has 18 and the Tahoe 20's.
No Toyo for me, had them on a Yukon and they would hydroplane on a bird dropping. I've no issue with Hankook's, had them on a Mustang GT and snows on my Malibu's.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
just had the Toyo Open Country Q/T installed on our Equinox.
225/65R17
$115.30 per tire.

$461.20 for 4 tires
$43.50 state tax.
$40 (tire balance $10x4)
$40 Labor
$20 sensor labor (install 4 TPMS sensors x $5)
-----------------------

the TPMS sensors that were removed where the factory sensors. They had not malfunctioned. But tires off- may as well replace the 7 yr old sensors.
I bought the sensors from a member on this forum. $45 for 4.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
just had the Toyo Open Country Q/T installed on our Equinox.
225/65R17
$115.30 per tire.

$461.20 for 4 tires
$43.50 state tax.
$40 (tire balance $10x4)
$40 Labor
$20 sensor labor (install 4 TPMS sensors x $5)
-----------------------

the TPMS sensors that were removed where the factory sensors. They had not malfunctioned. But tires off- may as well replace the 7 yr old sensors.
I bought the sensors from a member on this forum. $45 for 4.
Sounds like a good deal! To think - I paid $175 for ONE replacement Michelin Latitude after a sidewall blowout. Town Faire Tire DID eventually send me a check for $50, though, (after two trips to their store) bringing the cost down to $125.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts