GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tow with 4cyl? I wanna tow a uhual about 1000 miles. Will it keep highway speeds in 6th gear?

·
Registered
315 Posts
brad5016 said:
Anyone tow with 4cyl? I wanna tow a uhual about 1000 miles. Will it keep highway speeds in 6th gear?
It should depending on the weight you are talking about....If the tranny does gear search, I would use M5 then, I find the manual mode on the tranny is best suited for towing more then anything else.....

·
Registered
830 Posts
The 4cyl is only able to tow 1500 pounds. As long as you don't exceed that you are ok to drive as long as you want to... 1500 lbs - trailer weight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Basically you're saying example:

Max 4cyl tow is 1500 lbs.
Minus 500lbs for trailer it self.
1000 lbs is the max?

My first time towing ever also. Pulled a 5x8 w/ ramp gate with a Golf Cart on it, is pretty close to that maxium. I went as fast as 80mph and stopped hard a few times for about 100 miles. Held up fine with no problems, other than gas mileage dropping like a rock lol.

Aren't you supposed to add the passenger and cargo weight in the vehicle also?

·
Registered
635 Posts
brad5016 said:
Here is what the manual says:

1500 lbs with trailer brakes and 1000 lbs without trailer brakes(4cyl)

*The Gross Combination Weight
Rating (GCWR) is the total
allowable weight of the completely
loaded vehicle and trailer including
any passengers, cargo, equipment
and conversions. The GCWR for the
vehicle should not be exceeded.

Maximum trailer weight is calculated
assuming only the driver is in the
tow vehicle and it has all the
required trailering equipment. The
weight of additional optional
equipment, passengers and cargo
in the tow vehicle must be
subtracted from the maximum trailer
weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is the towing experience with my 11 NOX 2.4L FWD for those of you questioning its ability. I went on a few long distance trips this winter towing snowmobiles & trailer weighing 1,500 LBS. TOTAL plus clothes, gear & tools inside the hatch. I had a Class III aftermarket hitch installed. I didn't notice much strain on the vehicle on the road compared with no trailer, you could hardly feel it behind. Handling was good, no sudden jerks. I drove with ECO on, in MANUAL 5 & on a few hills up in MANUAL 4. Braking was good too. The coolant temperature gauge reading showed no difference than without the trailer. My trailering MPG was reduced about 40% compared to without the trailer. The back up camera made it easy to position the ball to the trailer coupler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts