GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
I hope it's not towing related.
I was hoping I could tow our 1,500 pound combo trailer and motorcycles with my Equinox with the 2.0.
1500 lb is total weight of trailer with the bikes ? That's only 50% of the rating and I wouldn't see an issue with that flat land towing. Another 1000 lbs of bikes then your pushing it in the hills IMO. What's inside the 'nox also has to be considered also, total load on drivetrain. Pulling long hills with the hammer down loaded up maintaining speed is another story, little 2.0 on high boost for a long time equals maximum stress on motor.
Max. tow rating is based on the capacity of the vehicle's brakes and gross vehicle weight plus trailer load not engine capabilities. Tahoe's can be built with several different brake packages and that determines tow rating, same with pick up's, my 16 'nox has no multiple brake packages in the RPO list, just one for either size motor .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Meh, post 17 seems fine towing at 2,800lbs. Here's the Silverado 2.4L with no problems;

Stop using 87 gas and watch your temps

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
We did tow about 3,000 miles prior to the breakdown. The coolant temperature never rose, the transmission did not hunt back and forth, hills were not a problem. The vehicle appeared to be well within its comfort zone. The service manager did say that the injector was pouring gas into the cylinder but that he did not feel any damage was done. Now we're waiting on an injector. We'll have the oil and filter changed too just in case it was diluted with gas.
Just for comparison sakes we made this same exact trip, same trailer, same weight with a $3,000 Ebay 2002 Pontiac Grand Am - a vehicle that did have a 1,500 lb tow capacity. We made this trip 5 years with that car. It sucked the gas, the transmission hunted but it never let us down. That car's V-6 was rated 175 hp 205 Ft Lbs torque. The Red Line Equinox is rated at 252 HP and 260 Ft Lbs of torque. I'm pretty sure this failure would have happened regardless of the trailer.

Time will tell about reliability and longevity. I'll update when we get back on the road again...

·
Registered
956 Posts
thanks for the updates Greenie.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Meh, post 17 seems fine towing at 2,800lbs. Here's the Silverado 2.4L with no problems;

https://youtu.be/cSxBKR___Sg

Stop using 87 gas and watch your temps

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Towing that weight regularly that motor isn't gonna make 100k miles without expensive ''maintenance".
That's the I want a pick up to look cool to commute with drivetrain.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts