GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan to purcahse one or the other. I like the truck like look of the Terrian but depends upon the deal I can get. I currently drive a 13 year old S-10 4x4 with a V-6 with a 5-speed stick. This truck struggles to get up a hill with my trailer behind it. EPA rates this truck at 20 highway mpg and I get 19.7.

About 10 times a year I tow a small trailer with my quad in it. The trip is about 80 miles round trip on flat ground. The total rig weighs between 1100-1200 pounds. Maybe once a year I tow the same rig to the mountains where the height is less then 2500 feet in elevation. Will I be satisfied with a 4 banger or should I opt for the V-6? I am a consertive driver and figure the difference in mileage for the number of miles I drive (15K a year) would cost me an extra $400 a year to drive the V-6 at a gas rate of $3.50 per gallon. Will I be satisfied with the acceleration of the 4 cylinder in every day driving, for passing, and entering the freeway? At my age this should be the last car I buy before I retire and don't want to make a $30K mistake. I know I can test drive both engines and feel the difference in acceleration for myself but need to know about the towing. When I need acceleration that pins me back in the seat I'll drive my vette, the Terrian or Nox will be my daily driver. I would like responses on the towing question from people who actually tow and if you respond please list the size of your engine. If you tow and have the 4 cylinder do you wish you would have bought the V-6?

·
Registered
978 Posts
While nothing prohibits you from adding a hitch to most any vehicle...

On their Website Chevy states:

"Trailering Package

If you plan to tow a trailer, boat or camper behind your new Equinox®, be sure to add the Trailering Package, which includes a Class II 1-1/4" receiver hitch and 4-wire trailer light harness connection.

Not available with 2.4L DOHC 4-cylinder SIDI engine
on 2LT and 1LZ.

In order to choose this feature, you also need to add: 3.0L DOHC direct injection V6 engine with FlexFuel capability18" machined-aluminum wheels -Tires, P235/55R18 all-season, blackwall -Alternator, 150 amps -Axle, 2.77 final drive ratio -Battery, maintenance-free with rundown protection, 660 CCA -Steering, power-assist, hydraulic-variable -Exhaust, dual with premium tips"

So...ummm...I think half your decision has already been decided by Chevy !!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
We tow a 1800 lb Scamp travel trailer with our V6 Terrain. Our Terrain has the trailer towing package and tows the trailer very well even through the mountains. I wouldn't think of going with a in-line 4 if I were you. The 265hp V6 is a very nice engine and will pull your trailer nicely.
You will find that these direct injected engines are very tight when new and provide much better power/torque after several thousand miles. I'm very pleased with my V6 after 5-6k miles as it was a bit sluggish when brand new.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks MOCHA11NOX. I definately would get the towing package and did not know the option required the V-6. Since they mention the 2.77 final drive maybe the axle ratio has higher gearing to give a little more pulling power. I'll have to look up to see what the standard ratio is w/o the towing package.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have absolutely no problems towing my atv's

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=1294.0

And i am now using a 15 foot platform dual axle trailer that is about 400 pounds heavier than the on in the pics.

V6 is the obvious choice if you need to tow well...

For a 1500 pounds charge the I4 will do the job, but i don't think the tranny of the I4 is suited for towing...

·
Registered
978 Posts
I dug a little deeper and it seems all Nox models are rated for towing...

Which implies that just because you can't get the factory tow package unless
you get a 2LT with V-6...

doesn't mean you can't tow...you'll probably have to install your own hitch and wiring

The Chevy Site lists the following tow min/max ratings per model

LS FWD = 1500
1LT FWD = 1500/3500
2LT FWD = 1500/3500
LTZ FWD = 1500/3500

with the following qualifier...

"Maximum trailer ratings are calculated assuming a base vehicle, plus driver. See your Chevy dealer for additional details."

According to the Site...standard ratio is 3.23

Here is a link to more specific information...

http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/en/overview/11ChevTraileringPoster.pdf

You will need to enlarge the page several times to read it...and the NOX information is located in the lower left bottom

Based on common "safety protocol"...I adhere to the idiom of "do not exceed 75% of the rated gross tow weight rating" for best results

This means if the 2.4 I-4 is rated for 1500 pounds properly equipped...one should not exceed 1125 pounds of gross for trailer and load.

It sounds like you are all over that figure with your quad and trailer...

I wouldn't select the I-4 based on that.

·
Registered
978 Posts
SuperMat64 said:

For a 1500 pounds charge the I4 will do the job, but i don't think the tranny of the I4 is suited for towing...
The trans are the same 6 speed for I-4 and V-6 on the second gen NOX

·
Registered
830 Posts
No they are not the same.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I plan to tow with my I4 2lt FWD 'nox...a 3 rail open motorcycle trailer with up to 3 dirtbikes on it..around a thousand pounds max...not expecting ANY issues whatsoever...just ordered up a Curt hitch and curt harness from etrailer.com....PIECE OF CAKE to install...will probably use manual mode when towing and leave her in 5th on highways so she isn't constantly shifting. Most reviews state the I4 is the engine of choice for these vehicles....'nuff said.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting that the tow package changes the final drive to 2.77 from a standard 3.23. I will verify this with several dealers to be sure if all V-6s get this ratio or only ones with the tow package. The lower ratio should make the V-6 turn less rpm's and therefore help the gas mileage when you are not towing. My vette has a 2.59 rear and at 80 mph it is turning just under 2 grand and I get 24+ mpg with 300 hp. My son tows a larger trailer then I have and sometimes tows more weight, and has a 4 cylinder in a Toyota Highlander. He said it tows okay but he wishes he would have gotten the V-6.

·
Registered
978 Posts
grunkster said:
that is opposite of how a tow package normally is....ie: normally LOWER gearing not higher
Exactly...now the question is (assuming one wanted the "Factory Tow Pkg")...can you "option" the 3.23 with the factory tow to avoid the 2.77

If the answer is no...well...I know what I would do...

·
Registered
176 Posts
SuperMat64 said:

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=1294.0

And i am now using a 15 foot platform dual axle trailer that is about 400 pounds heavier than the on in the pics.

V6 is the obvious choice if you need to tow well...

Isn't the tansmission for the I4 and the V6 the same?? I have not seen any optional transmissions in the build your own NOX or Terrain web sites.

·
Registered
698 Posts
^ No, different transmissions.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The V6 have a 6T70 transmission and the I4 have a 6T45.

So no they doesnt have the same transmission that explain the tow capacity difference.

6T45 :
Type: 6-speed, electronically controlled, automatic overdrive with torque converter clutch, Front-wheel or all-wheel drive applicable.
Maximum Engine power 215 hp
Maximum engine torque: 232 lb-ft (315 Nm)
Engine Range: 1.4L-2.5L
Maximum Gearbox Torque: 277 lb.-ft.
Weight: N/A
Assembly Site: GMDAT (Korea), SGM (China)

6T70 :
Type: 6-speed, electronically controlled, automatic overdrive transmission. Front-wheel or all-wheel drive applicable.
Maximum Engine power 315 hp
Maximum Engine Torque: 280 lb.-ft.
Engine Range: 3.0L-4.0L
Max Gearbox Torque: 462 lb.-ft.
Weight: 224 lbs.
Assembly Site: Warren, Michigan

·
Registered
297 Posts
Our transmission, for the I4, is listed as Mexico on our window sticker. :-\

·
Registered
830 Posts
Maybe they added a new assembly plant since my source was writed :)

TheCrow1994 said:
Our transmission, for the I4, is listed as Mexico on our window sticker. :-\

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is the towing experience with my 11 NOX 2.4L FWD for those of you questioning its ability. I went on a few long distance trips this winter towing snowmobiles & trailer weighing 1,500 LBS. TOTAL plus clothes, gear & tools inside the hatch. I had a Class III aftermarket hitch installed. I didn't notice much strain on the vehicle on the road compared with no trailer, you could hardly feel it behind. Handling was good, no sudden jerks. I drove with ECO on, in MANUAL 5 & on a few hills up in MANUAL 4. Braking was good too. The coolant temperature gauge reading showed no difference than without the trailer. My trailering MPG was reduced about 40% compared to without the trailer. The back up camera made it easy to position the ball to the trailer coupler.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts