GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know the the owners manual states that the towing compacity is limited to 1500lbs. however, i have seen videos of people hualing larger campers with theirs. i was wondering if anyone has any experience towing anything over the stated limit?

· Registered
2010 chevy equinox lt 2.4, 135k miles. Mocha steel metallic mobile 1 full syn extended performance
1,005 Posts
Yes, not in this vehicle but it can burn up the transmission... I suggest don't go over that 1500 plus the load capacity... Like less than 1200 lbs for passengers so ur looking at Like 2500-2700 lbs WITH an aftermarket hitch and mostly level ground no big hills.

· Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Unless you have a 3.6 motor then it's 3500 lbs max. trailer. Probably seeing 6 cyl. towing them.

· Registered
3,122 Posts
As repairman54 posts the 3.6L comes with a heavy duty transmission.
This is the prefered setup for towing.

· Registered
2017 Equinox LT 2.4 FWD
516 Posts
Keep in mind, transmission is about getting it going and keeping it going. You still need to be able stop. I'm not sure how much faith I have in the brakes if towing a heavy trailer.
On the Equinox/Terrain GM requires trailer brakes on any trailer load greater than 1000 lbs. Not sure if GM really thinks the brakes are the limiting factor with such a light tow, maybe it's the lack of full frame construction and uni-body flex under hard or emergency braking that they're really concerned about. Most light utility trailers capable of a total of 1500 lbs gross weight won't even have trailer brakes.

· Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Looking at the RPO codes for my '16 3.6 and Alldata's RPO code listing there is no multiple GVWR weight related brake package listing like I see for my Tahoe nor do I see any different size rotors listed.
That suggests to me than brake capacity is the same for all models. My '16 3.6 is 3500# rated so stopping power should be the same as a 2.4.

· Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Do you have a 1'' receiver hitch or the 2'' one. Tongue weight limit would be the limit of the hitch on the vehicle.
I saw no mention of tongue weights in my '16 3.6 owner's manual BTW.
I have a 2'' receiver hitch on mine, I vaguely remember 500 lbs. being the limit on it.

· Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Depends on rating of hitch itself. 2'' receivers cover a big range due to metal thickness of the hitch receiver.

Font Electric blue Number

· Registered
238 Posts
Isn't the tongue weight in every example in the chart 10% of the GTW?

I have seen a few vehicles where the spec'd tongue weight in the Owners Manual was less than 10%. While the hitch tongue weight itself may be 10%, the structure that the hitch is bolted to may not be capable of supporting that 10% in the vertical axis.

I think the tongue is 10% of the tow weight. If the vehicle can tow 5,000 pounds then the max tongue weight is 500 pounds. Am I correct?
repairman54 said:
Depends on rating of hitch itself. 2'' receivers cover a big range due to metal thickness of the hitch receiver.

View attachment 19210

· Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
No spec for tongue weight in my '16's OM. Just GVWR.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts