GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my wife just got a Terrain 4 cylinder, when deciding on getting the terrain we got it to eventually tow a small boat. We were initially going to get a V6 but settled for the 4 cylinder because we couldnt get a 6 cylinder. I initially was going to get a 13 foot boat which should be well under the 1500lb towing capacity. Now looking at other boats i have found some that should be in the 1700-1800lb range. The hitch is rated for 3500lbs with 400lb tongue weight (guessing its a class 2).

I asked on my boat forum and a lot of people say its more about stopping, i am under the assumption that the V6 and I4 are the same car besides the engine (meaning same brakes, suspension, etc.). If its more of stopping power wouldnt a V6 and I4 stop the same?

Anyway, below are two boats and there estimated weights (I think i overestimated)

Boston Whaler130 sport
Hull 640, engine 260, trailer 295, gas 50, gear 100
Total 1345

Boston Whaler 150 Sport
Hull 900, engine 260, gas 50, trailer 460, gear 100
Total 1770

So first, should i be fine in towing the 13 footer, and what about the 15 footer?

Most of the time i will be towing to a ramp that is less than 5 miles from my house, a couple times a year i might go to Lake George around an hour from my house (generally flat ride, and mostly highway). And maybe once a year to Long Island (4 hours).

Any thoughts, or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, engine/transmission have nothing to do with stopping (at least thats what i think)

so how it stands i should have no concerns at all towing the 130 listed above? and should be fine with the bigger boat, just should be more careful?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmm, i was just mentioning that people on a fishing forum i belong to say you really have to worry about stopping more than going. I wouldnt dream about towing anywhere near 2500lbs.

The boat i originally planned on getting is around 1300lbs (this is boat, motor, trailer, gas, equipment). After looking at boats i found one i liked that is a little bigger but is also in the 1700lb range with gear. I guess my question is, Will it be safe (for car and other drivers) to tow the 1300lb boat, and same question for a boat that is around 1700lbs?

thanks guys.

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.