GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my wife just got a Terrain 4 cylinder, when deciding on getting the terrain we got it to eventually tow a small boat. We were initially going to get a V6 but settled for the 4 cylinder because we couldnt get a 6 cylinder. I initially was going to get a 13 foot boat which should be well under the 1500lb towing capacity. Now looking at other boats i have found some that should be in the 1700-1800lb range. The hitch is rated for 3500lbs with 400lb tongue weight (guessing its a class 2).

I asked on my boat forum and a lot of people say its more about stopping, i am under the assumption that the V6 and I4 are the same car besides the engine (meaning same brakes, suspension, etc.). If its more of stopping power wouldnt a V6 and I4 stop the same?

Anyway, below are two boats and there estimated weights (I think i overestimated)

Boston Whaler130 sport
Hull 640, engine 260, trailer 295, gas 50, gear 100
Total 1345

Boston Whaler 150 Sport
Hull 900, engine 260, gas 50, trailer 460, gear 100
Total 1770

So first, should i be fine in towing the 13 footer, and what about the 15 footer?

Most of the time i will be towing to a ramp that is less than 5 miles from my house, a couple times a year i might go to Lake George around an hour from my house (generally flat ride, and mostly highway). And maybe once a year to Long Island (4 hours).

Any thoughts, or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm on the Vermont side of Lake Champlain.
r
I have a Nox with the 4 banger, and tow my 18 foot fibeglass with itl its gotta be 2500 easy with boat, motor, and trailer.. I have an aftermarket hitch. Same as you, I only tow a few miles, and none are high speed as they are all back roads. It tows OK; not great, not awfull.

I figure its the same car as the V6, so what the difference in tow rating? Can't figure it out.

Very curious to see other responses.

Kevin

·
Registered
698 Posts
yellolab said:
I figure its the same car as the V6, so what the difference in tow rating?
It's not the same car if it doesn't have the V6 and the stronger transmission that comes with it. You could probably make out OK with it but I would drive like you've got an egg under the accelerator with 1,000 more pounds than the rating on the hook.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, engine/transmission have nothing to do with stopping (at least thats what i think)

so how it stands i should have no concerns at all towing the 130 listed above? and should be fine with the bigger boat, just should be more careful?

·
Registered
698 Posts
badfish said:
yeah, engine/transmission have nothing to do with stopping (at least thats what i think)

so how it stands i should have no concerns at all towing the 130 listed above? and should be fine with the bigger boat, just should be more careful?
Oh, I'm sorry. You were more worried about stopping than 'going'? I think the braking systems are the same so I would venture a guess that would be OK.

I was thinking more about the 'going'... and the strain on the engine/trans with the 4 towing 2,500 lbs.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Terrain said:
Oh, I'm sorry. You were more worried about stopping than 'going'? I think the braking systems are the same so I would venture a guess that would be OK.

I was thinking more about the 'going'... and the strain on the engine/trans with the 4 towing 2,500 lbs.
The V6 and the I4 have the same towing capacities : 1000 pounds without trailer brakes...

·
Registered
698 Posts
^ Don't you think that's kind of silly? I used to own an 18' boat and I'm sure it was over 1000 pounds and the trailer didn't even have brakes...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmm, i was just mentioning that people on a fishing forum i belong to say you really have to worry about stopping more than going. I wouldnt dream about towing anywhere near 2500lbs.

The boat i originally planned on getting is around 1300lbs (this is boat, motor, trailer, gas, equipment). After looking at boats i found one i liked that is a little bigger but is also in the 1700lb range with gear. I guess my question is, Will it be safe (for car and other drivers) to tow the 1300lb boat, and same question for a boat that is around 1700lbs?

thanks guys.

Jeff

·
Registered
365 Posts
I pull my 3000# boat and trailer with my 2005 Saturn Vue V6. The trailer does not have brakes and it stops fine. You just have to keep farther away from cars in front of you. The big thing I would be worried about is the transmission on the I-4. If that oil gets to hot from towing that tranny might be toast.
Let us know how it tows if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
830 Posts
fireman591 said:
I pull my 3000# boat and trailer with my 2005 Saturn Vue V6. The trailer does not have brakes and it stops fine. You just have to keep farther away from cars in front of you. The big thing I would be worried about is the transmission on the I-4. If that oil gets to hot from towing that tranny might be toast.
Let us know how it tows if you decide to go that route.
That will brake... but brakes will use faster and may overheat and become dangerous.

·
Registered
365 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
That will brake... but brakes will use faster and may overheat and become dangerous.
I hear ya I am on my 2nd set of pads with only 44,000 miles on the first set. Not to bad though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think we got too many conversations going on here. Are you saying that towing 1300lbs is going to be a problem?

·
Registered
365 Posts
badfish said:
I think we got too many conversations going on here. Are you saying that towing 1300lbs is going to be a problem?
If you stay under the #1500 you will be fine. Like I said in my post I can stop #3000 with my Vue and it has drums in the back. Just drive smart and keep an eye on the temps.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I have the 4cyl Nox, and personally wouldn't want to tow anything more than maybe 1 or 2 jetskis depending on total weight with trailer. Having said that, i don't intend to ever tow anything since I have other options available if I ever need it..

·
Registered
365 Posts
I hate to say it but my vue tows the 3000 pound boat better then my two snowmobiles. My snowmobile trailer is like pulling a sail and the boat is tucked in the draft of the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is the towing experience with my 11 NOX 2.4L FWD for those of you questioning its ability. I went on a few long distance trips this winter towing snowmobiles & trailer weighing 1,500 LBS. TOTAL plus clothes, gear & tools inside the hatch. I had a Class III aftermarket hitch installed. I didn't notice much strain on the vehicle on the road compared with no trailer, you could hardly feel it behind. Handling was good, no sudden jerks. I drove with ECO on, in MANUAL 5 & on a few hills up in MANUAL 4. Braking was good too. The coolant temperature gauge reading showed no difference than without the trailer. My trailering MPG was reduced about 40% compared to without the trailer. The back up camera made it easy to position the ball to the trailer coupler.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead - cause I'm thinking about buying a 14' tinner in the off season.

Boat, trailer, motor and gear weighs in at approx 1,000lbs.

It's not going to be hauling every weekend but probably 6-10 times a year - about 2-300 km trips

Should I get a tranny cooler to play it safe?

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
Default User said:
Bringing this back from the dead - cause I'm thinking about buying a 14' tinner in the off season.

Boat, trailer, motor and gear weighs in at approx 1,000lbs.

It's not going to be hauling every weekend but probably 6-10 times a year - about 2-300 km trips

Should I get a tranny cooler to play it safe?
It probably would not be needed, but it seems like the cost would not be that much compared to the cost of a new tranny, such that it would seem to be a wise investment. It would also depend on the distance and how hilly the roads are that you plan to tow on are.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts