GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to re-purchase my 2010 Terrain I would make sure it had a roof rack and a towing package installed. While I can live without the roof rack, I still would like a towing option. What could I expect to pay to have a hitch and wiring installed?

·
Registered
85 Posts
It took me 2 hours to intall and hitch and wiring in mine. The coast was under $200 for everything including ball and reciever.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nukedog said:
It took me 2 hours to intall and hitch and wiring in mine. The coast was under $200 for everything including ball and reciever.
Where did you get the parts from?

·
Registered
315 Posts
tmozer said:
If I were to re-purchase my 2010 Terrain I would make sure it had a roof rack and a towing package installed. While I can live without the roof rack, I still would like a towing option. What could I expect to pay to have a hitch and wiring installed?
For the tow package I4's didnt have that as an option

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am paying $225 for a hitch installed by a truck accessory store - total cost would be $300 IF I go with wiring. The planned use is for a bike rack and possibly a platform with no present intentions of trailering so I will most likely go without the wiring.

·
Registered
635 Posts
grometsc said:
For the tow package I4's didnt have that as an option
My i4 has tow package?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I would get it OEM rather than aftermarket. Direct from GM means you also get better cooling and a better transmission setup. Aftermarket you get a hitch and wiring and nothing else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Roesterman said:
My i4 has tow package?
Mine too. My dealer told me when I ordered my Terrain that you cannot get the factory installed tow package on an Equinox I4, but a Terrain you can.

Chad

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried a couple different Google searches to find local places where I could get an estimate on a towing package installation. Not much luck. Any search suggestions?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Narg said:
I would get it OEM rather than aftermarket. Direct from GM means you also get better cooling and a better transmission setup. Aftermarket you get a hitch and wiring and nothing else.
Not offered according to my GMC dealer (for the I4) Terrain. You also can't find the option on the website when you build your own.

This is what you get on the Nox for the option:

Our Equinox Trailer Hitch Package mounts directly to your vehicle. No additional drilling required. 19169825 fits 2007-2009 Equinox Models and includes the Hitch Assembly, Ball Mount, Wiring Harness, and all necessary equipment (bolts, fuses and relays) for a complete installation. 19202502 fits 2010 Equinox Models and includes the Hitch Assembly, Wiring Harnesses, and Mounting Bolts. For 2010 Models, Trailering Fuses and Relays are factory installed and Ball Mount Assembly is sold separately.

Not positive but i don;t think you get a trans cooler since it is only a $250 option according to www.chevy.com

·
Registered
830 Posts
Here in canada we can order an i4 terrain with the tow package.

But we get robbed for the package at 515$

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nukedog said:
Not offered according to my GMC dealer (for the I4) Terrain. You also can't find the option on the website when you build your own.

This is what you get on the Nox for the option:

Our Equinox Trailer Hitch Package mounts directly to your vehicle. No additional drilling required. 19169825 fits 2007-2009 Equinox Models and includes the Hitch Assembly, Ball Mount, Wiring Harness, and all necessary equipment (bolts, fuses and relays) for a complete installation. 19202502 fits 2010 Equinox Models and includes the Hitch Assembly, Wiring Harnesses, and Mounting Bolts. For 2010 Models, Trailering Fuses and Relays are factory installed and Ball Mount Assembly is sold separately.

Not positive but i don;t think you get a trans cooler since it is only a $250 option according to www.chevy.com
I4's are not offered in the states w/ trailering package.

Automatic transmissions have a tranny cooler, its located in your radiator. But for towing, and general improvement in life (lower tranny fluid temps which are the main killer of auto trannys) adding an aux tranny cooler is usually recommended.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The towing rating for v6-AWD is 3500lbs so if you're under that you don't need any extra coolers as it has one already. The Terrain or Equinox are not required to have extra coolers. If you buy a truck with towing package i.e F150, etc.. then it comes with a cooler.

In my opinion installing extra coolers is only required when the truck was not rated according to the load.

·
Registered
85 Posts
grometsc said:
I4's are not offered in the states w/ trailering package.

Automatic transmissions have a tranny cooler, its located in your radiator. But for towing, and general improvement in life (lower tranny fluid temps which are the main killer of auto trannys) adding an aux tranny cooler is usually recommended.

Please understand i am well aware of what vehicles have as base items as i have been a mechanic for 30 years. I was simply replyiing to Narg who was making a statement that seemed like he was saying the tow package vehicles get an extra cooler. Many vechicles have a second one. i even had a second one on my 1970 Plymouth ROad Runner (as well as a steering fluid cooler).

Equinox does get a tow package as a option but the Terrain does not. And what i put in my respose was directly from the Chevy website as an option if you wish to build your own vehicle.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Nukedog said:
Please understand i am well aware of what vehicles have as base items as i have been a mechanic for 30 years. I was simply replyiing to Narg who was making a statement that seemed like he was saying the tow package vehicles get an extra cooler. Many vechicles have a second one. i even had a second one on my 1970 Plymouth ROad Runner (as well as a steering fluid cooler).

Equinox does get a tow package as a option but the Terrain does not. And what i put in my respose was directly from the Chevy website as an option if you wish to build your own vehicle.
The terrain have a tow package option... i know because i have it. directly from GM, not installed by dealer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
The terrain have a tow package option... i know because i have it. directly from GM, not installed by dealer.
If you read the whole thread you will see that he is saying that I4 Terrains don't get a factory tow package option, and being that yours is a V6, it's existance does nothing to disprove his claim.

·
Registered
830 Posts
GMCdriver said:
If you read the whole thread you will see that he is saying that I4 Terrains don't get a factory tow package option, and being that yours is a V6, it's existance does nothing to disprove his claim.
Ahem....

Attachments

·
Registered
830 Posts
GMCdriver said:
And on the us website also...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts