GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this today in the manual. I cannot believe its only 1000lbs for both models! I'm disappointed to read this it makes the I4 seem more attractive at this point if I get a Nox will probably go that route.

Vehicle
Maximum Trailer
Weight with Trailer
Brakes†
GCWR*
L4 Engine, FWD 680 kg (1,500 lbs) 2 625 kg (5,787 lbs)
L4 Engine, AWD 680 kg (1,500 lbs) 2 700 kg (5,952 lbs)
V6 Engine, FWD 1 588 kg (3,500 lbs) 3 600 kg (7,937 lbs)
V6 Engine, AWD 1 588 kg (3,500 lbs) 3 700 kg (8,157 lbs)
† For trailers without trailer brakes the maximum trailer weight is 454 kg
(1,000 lbs). See Towing Equipment on page 9‑63 for more information.

Taken from http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/owners/manuals/2011/2011_chevrolet_equinox_owners.pdf

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oracle said:
these has been discussed ad nauseam... Search is your friend.
My bad I've looked through a few towing threads and didn't see this before. Still surprised that its that low.

·
Registered
27 Posts
chevy22 said:
.....I've looked through a few towing threads and didn't see this before. Still surprised that its that low.
Don't apologize. I've read several threads regarding towing as well and this is the first time I've read this information. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jackquontee said:
Don't apologize. I've read several threads regarding towing as well and this is the first time I've read this information. Thanks for the post.
This makes the decision very tough towards an Equinox. Factor in an 800lb boat with a passenger and some gear and I'm already over the limit for towing. Not that I don't think this could handle this, but how would it affect insurance if something happened?

·
Registered
157 Posts
chevy22 said:
This makes the decision very tough towards an Equinox. Factor in an 800lb boat with a passenger and some gear and I'm already over the limit for towing. Not that I don't think this could handle this, but how would it affect insurance if something happened?
Look at other manufacturers carefully (owners manuals - not the sales websites which may be incomplete).

After checking some owners manuals for comparable vehicles - some other manufacturers require trailer brakes over 1,000 lbs or more depending on the model. Other maufacturers don't give a specific weight where trailer brakers are required - but have a statement in the owners manual that the vehicle brakes are only rated for GVWR and not GCWR (i.e - vehicle weight and cargo only - not including trailer and cargo) - which would lean towards the interpretation of trailer brakes for all trailers.

For example - from the owners manual of another popular FWD comparable sized SUV under the category of "trailer brakes" - "The braking system of the tow vehicle is rated for operation at the GVWR not GCWR."

BTW - some states require trailer brakes on all trailers, some states over 1,000 lbs, some states higher, and some states not at all. Always refer to the requirements of the state you will be driving in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gmiemigrad said:
Look at other manufacturers carefully (owners manuals - not the sales websites which may be incomplete).

After checking some owners manuals for comparable vehicles - some other manufacturers require trailer brakes over 1,000 lbs or more depending on the model. Other maufacturers don't give a specific weight where trailer brakers are required - but have a statement in the owners manual that the vehicle brakes are only rated for GVWR and not GCWR (i.e - vehicle weight and cargo only - not including trailer and cargo) - which would lean towards the interpretation of trailer brakes for all trailers.

For example - from the owners manual of another popular FWD comparable sized SUV under the category of "trailer brakes" - "The braking system of the tow vehicle is rated for operation at the GVWR not GCWR."

BTW - some states require trailer brakes on all trailers, some states over 1,000 lbs, some states higher, and some states not at all. Always refer to the requirements of the state you will be driving in.
In my province its 3000lbs and over for trailer brakes. Oddly enough, check out this poster it doesn't mention anything about the trailer brakes:

http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/en/overview/11ChevTraileringPoster.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts