GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new to this forum and have a question. I am looking at purchasing the 4cyl. AWD terrain. I was wondering if there was anything that can be done to boost its ability to tow to somewhere near what the V6 is able to do. I dont want the V6 because i dont want to get only approx 22 mpg when not hauling. thanks for the time and info.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Maybe an aftermarket turbo kit? But then the transmission would still be a concern...not to mention voiding the warranty. Basically, if you plan on towing more than something like a single jetski or dirtbike...go for the V6.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2010 with the 4 cylinder and the best gas mileage I have ever gotten (which was on a highway trip) was 24. I know some have said they have gotten closer to 30 but I dont recall ever seeing where anyone got 32. As far as towing goes, you could get a transmission cooler but I still wouldnt go over what is recommended.

Kevin

·
Registered
365 Posts
Don't get the I4 if you are looking for good mileage. It will get 30 mpg at 50mph but real life interstate speeds the best I can get is 23 mpg at 72 mpg. Get the V6! I am sorry I bought the I4. GM really pulled one out of their butt as far as gas mileage goes but hey if you keep it below 50 mph you can get the advertised MPG. :mad:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
fireman591 said:
Don't get the I4 if you are looking for good mileage. It will get 30 mpg at 50mph but real life interstate speeds the best I can get is 23 mpg at 72 mpg. Get the V6! I am sorry I bought the I4. GM really pulled one out of their butt as far as gas mileage goes but hey if you keep it below 50 mph you can get the advertised MPG. :mad:
Now, now. Dont go spreading false information. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmmm, I am on the verge of buying a GMC Terrain based on some very impressive reviews on line.

I have been concerned about whether or not the 4 cyl engine would really give the mileage claimed, especially when I looked at the size of the vehicle....It ain't a small econobox, which I'm glad of actually.

I have a question about towing...

i have a trailer that I think will weigh in at 1,600 -1,700 pounds. I only tow it a very short distance (maybe 200 yards) maybe 3 times a month, Spring to Fall each year. I might make one long distance tow with it a year, lets say a 5 hour drive one way.

I wonder if that would really be a problem for it, since there is almost always some pad in the limitations.

But, now I am concerned, would that invalidate my warranty on the engine/drive trans?

I'm beginning to think I may need a smaller SUV with more horsepower to get the towing capacity I need and better gas mileage.

What would you do?

Mike :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts