GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning some road trips; might need a little extra storage for sleeping bags, camp chairs, luggage, and other bulky items. I already own a 1 1/4" cargo carrier and all-weather bag from my other vehicle. I will most likely just get a hitch installed and call it a day (4cyl). But first, Are there any advantages to a rooftop carrier? Curious why one would choose the rooftop method over the tow hitch/cargo carrier type setup. Seems like this way is easier to access, helps reduce drag (less MPG impact?), more flexible, and has more options for storage. Only thing holding me back is the fact that this vehicle has roof rails already which my last vehicle did not have. Thoughts?? Anyone have a great case to make for rooftop carriers? TIA..

·
Registered
30 Posts
if you send me the roof rack i will send you a trailer hitch

·
Registered
22 Posts
A rooftop carrier would allow you to open and close your liftgate. A hitch mounted carrier would probably block access. So if you needed to get stuff out of the back while you're traveling, a rooftop carrier might be easier. Also, if you get rear-ended, or back up into something, your cargo is not affected if it's on the roof.

If you already have the hitch-mounted carrier, I would probably just stick with that. I don't see any big compelling reason to spend money on a roof-mounted carrier.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cafeldmann said:
A rooftop carrier would allow you to open and close your liftgate. A hitch mounted carrier would probably block access. So if you needed to get stuff out of the back while you're traveling, a rooftop carrier might be easier. Also, if you get rear-ended, or back up into something, your cargo is not affected if it's on the roof.

If you already have the hitch-mounted carrier, I would probably just stick with that. I don't see any big compelling reason to spend money on a roof-mounted carrier.
Thanks for the reply, good points. Surprisingly on my last vehicle we could open the back even with a nearly packed all-weather cargo carrier bag in tow. The carrier sits pretty low.. Also we have the 1LT with rear camera which should definitely help with backing up, big advantage over the other ride..

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
reako said:
Also we have the 1LT with rear camera which should definitely help with backing up, big advantage over the other ride..
However, your camera-view might get blocked by your cargo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would advise to make sure the cargo carrier sits higher than the exhaust outlets or far enough back. We won't discuss why I know this, but in a hot climate under a load it gets hot enough to cause a problem. Just saying........... :facepalm:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jimmy-b said:
I would advise to make sure the cargo carrier sits higher than the exhaust outlets or far enough back. We won't discuss why I know this, but in a hot climate under a load it gets hot enough to cause a problem. Just saying........... :facepalm:
Glad you mentioned this because it was a pretty big issue with my other car. Basically the exhaust blows right on to the carrier. Our last minute solution was to drop a gallon milk jug there filled with water, then pull and stretch the cargo bag and cables as far away as possible. Thanks for the reminder about this. You get 2 hours of driving using this method, then the water starts to boil and the jug will deform. Just stop at a rest stop, fill with cold water, and your good for another couple hours. Would be nice not to have to deal with this again this time 'round....I will definitely look into this before I make any final decisions thanks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RIT333 said:
However, your camera-view might get blocked by your cargo.
Yeah you're probably right, might still be able to see a bit though. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The THULE hitch mounted cargo container works great. I can load four sets of golf clubs in the container along as the golf bags are not too large. Just take the drivers out of the bag and put on top of clubs before closing the container. With this hitch mounted container using the factory installed hitch I am able to open the rear hatch with out unplugging the container. Also this hitch container will tilt down and away from the vehicle for additional access. So bottom line this leaves the back of the vehicle for golf shoes and coolers or what ever else you are taking with you. Like the fact is behind the vehicle so there is no aerodynamic drag from an overhead container. If any one wants pictures let me know I will plug it in and take a few.

racknroad.com/product/thule-665c-transporter-combi.html

* Rear of vehicle access in seconds with tilt-down design
* Pre-wired tail lights included (4-pin)
* License plate accessory included
* Plug/valve makes clean-up easy
* Cargo box lock included-One Key System. Snug-tite lock hitch lock sold separately
* Requires 1.25" or 2" receiver The base design is 1.25" with an adapter that can increase it to the 2" design.
* 13 cu. ft. capacity, 150 lbs.
* 50.25" L, 23.5" H, 24.25" W

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was thinking about that too, but was only planning for it to move out of my apt. Not worth the money at this point. Maybe when I start moving from place to place for rotations, but that doesn't start till august.

I think I'm just going to stuff the trunk and if i can't fit everything, I'm going to rent a uhaul cargo trailer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I too have been interested in this subject. One thing I may add is that the roof rack offers some security as many come with locks.

I would like to share a picture of a Terrain that was parked at an Oakland Athletics baseball game. Reason I took the picture was because my Terrain looks exactly the same just with out the sky box. I really like the way it looks and am thinking about getting one for long trips. Enjoy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts