Standard Payload--1,055 lbs
Maximum Payload1,300 lbs1,000 lbs
Standard Towing Capacity--3,500 lbs
Maximum Towing Capacity7,200 lbs3,500 lbs
Length201.2 in189.6 in
Width85.5 in71.4 in
Height71.9 in65.7 in
Wheelbase119.8 in112.5 in

OK After a 4 year love affair with my 07 Torrent AWD Base, I am in the mood for a Torrent GXP. So I am in the market for a well maintained bone stock one. Maintenance more important than millage. I don't expect to pull the trigger until the spring 2021. But between now and then a lot of research on the best Torrent GXPs in north America. Who has a
lightly built 5 sec Torrent GXP?.......... Hmmmmmm Next Summer goal is to make a few Durangos take notice.

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
262 Posts
That is really good looking one. Yell me about you 2015 3.6,
My 2015 3.6L Equinox is stock (there really aren't that many performance mods out there for these.) It has plenty of power. 0-60 is conservatively around 7.0 seconds. Only issue has been the purge solenoid, but that is a known issue and easily replaced. The rear suspension could be a little quieter. It has a tendency to "clunk" loudly on sharp bumps or driveway edges. It has been looked at and no issues found. Original front rotors were replaced under warranty at 32,000 miles. All four rotors and original brake pads replaced at 52,000 miles. Original tires replaced at 42,000 miles. Original battery replaced around 53,000 miles. I replace the engine air filter every 12 months, and the cabin filter every 6 months. Oil gets changed when the OLM gets down to about 10-15% (usually about 6,000 miles of driving.) Now approaching 58,500 miles on the odometer. Would have been closer to 65,000 miles by now, but the pandemic happened. AWD does great in the snow. Overall, the vehicle is comfortable and gets good gas mileage for an AWD, 301hp V6. I get 17mpg in the city, 21 in mixed driving, and 29mpg in highway cruising.

Provided we are back to normal commuting in the next several months, I plan to trade it maybe next summer. Unfortunately there isn't really anything in the current GM CUV/SUV stable that I think I want. Looking at Acura RDX, Infiniti QX50, Nissan Murano, Jeep Grand Cherokee, VW Atlas Cross Sport, might look at the new Ford Explorer (although I have been burned twice by Ford in the past, so not sure I want any part of another one.) Who knows. Next summer is a long ways off.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Summer is a long way off, plenty of time to do the research, that is a mighty eclectic range of vehicles you mentioned. One in particular you should be able to get a good deal on, is the Grand Cherokee, which is at the end of its life cycle, once FCA or Stellator or whatever they are calling themselves these days release after the months of teasing the new Grand Cherokee. The New Explorer is being called Fords Steaming pile, as its not been a great launch for them and people are turning away. As for GM, you can always get into a Great Trailblazer with that high output 1.2 liter with the world class CVT. lol

·
Registered
262 Posts
Summer is a long way off, plenty of time to do the research, that is a mighty eclectic range of vehicles you mentioned. One in particular you should be able to get a good deal on, is the Grand Cherokee, which is at the end of its life cycle, once FCA or Stellator or whatever they are calling themselves these days release after the months of teasing the new Grand Cherokee. The New Explorer is being called Fords Steaming pile, as its not been a great launch for them and people are turning away. As for GM, you can always get into a Great Trailblazer with that high output 1.2 liter with the world class CVT. lol
They are varied for sure, but all, other than the Explorer, are 5-seat vehicles. RDX, QX50, and Murano are very close in size. The redesigned Grand Cherokee is coming but will be based on the Alfa Romeo Stelvio platform and have 4cyl, 6cyl, and 8cyl options. Not sure I want an Alfa platform based vehicle. Might be great for driving dynamics, but not sure there are any positives after that. The outgoing Grand Cherokee is really comfortable, but when I looked at them recently at the local dealer the build quality was really sketchy. The Ford is new, but by next summer should be well in to the 2nd year of production and have the very initial bugs worked out. The VW is also a 5-seater, but VW still has some quality issues they are dealing with. They are getting better, but have some lingering issues.

The Acadia has a 5-seat option on the AT4, and Chevy has the 5-seat Blazer. Not hearing good things about the Blazer and some dealers here still have brand new 2019 Blazers sitting on the lot. Trying to find an Acadia AT4 with the 5-seat configuration on dealer lots is tough, and I refuse to factory order a vehicle. Tried it once and it worked out very poorly.

The new Trailblazer is a hard pass.

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Isn't the trailblazer a 3 cylinder ? Probably a dealbreaker for many.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Isn't the trailblazer a 3 cylinder ? Probably a dealbreaker for many.
It is a 3 cylinder and Motorweek wasn't impressed. . even with the "Large" 1.3L. 0 to 60 in like 9.7 sends IIRC. And down shifted a lot.
Or. .. get the 1.2L and have that wonderful CVT ! (n)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Any Alfa or Fiat based platform is a big no no. Anyone remember the FCA Dart, couple years and gone from the line up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Any Alfa or Fiat based platform is a big no no. Anyone remember the FCA Dart, couple years and gone from the line up.
That had nothing to do with where the platform came from...that followed the standard decision by most US brands to drop most cars. Same reason Ford and GM killed most of their small cars and eventually even their bigger cars from this market.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I follower these beast around for the 8 day One Lap of America 2019 tour. They put on quite an impressive show Pounding the tracks.

I followed the tour in my own little Beast.

But I dreamed then of chasing them in a pumped up Pontiac Torrent GXP. My torrent is to pampered and wont be pushed hard. But to get a GXP and massage it and give it a low rumble exhaust note could be just the thing for next summers car and truck events.

The beginning of what I am seeing,.............

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Good thing the 2009 Torrent GXP came with the 3.6L V-6 (LY7), 264 HP and 250 Lb. Ft. of torque.
That makes it easy to swap in a 3.6L (LFX) V-6, 301 HP and 272 Lb. Ft. of torque.
The LFX is Direct Injected and higher compression.

There are a lot of these engines around and are bullet proof even stock from the factory.
It uses the updated GEN II 6T70 transmission, where the stock GXP uses the older GEN I 6T70.
Something to think about.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good thing the 2009 Torrent GXP came with the 3.6L V-6 (LY7), 264 HP and 250 Lb. Ft. of torque.
That makes it easy to swap in a 3.6L (LFX) V-6, 301 HP and 272 Lb. Ft. of torque.
The LFX is Direct Injected and higher compression.

There are a lot of these engines around and are bullet proof even stock from the factory.
It uses the updated GEN II 6T70 transmission, where the stock GXP uses the older GEN I 6T70.
Something to think about.
That certainly is. Question? As sexy as that 301hp sounds and looks great on paper but doesn't seem faster then the gxp out of the box. So money is an object and that swap is expensive. I only want to look good sound good and blow a little smoke just enough to make a Durango take notice. 😆

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Sounds like you have a friend with a Durango, huh ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are the SUV muscle right now.bad to the bone. I just think the Torrent GXP " coulda been somebody.... Coulda been a contender..."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts