GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Recently having some oil trouble and engine lights, so I invested in an OBD-II bluetooth code reader for $20 and the Torque Pro Android app. It has a bunch of stuff- I'm fairly impressed. Unfortunately, as far as oil monitoring goes, I haven't worked out all the kinks yet. I'm pretty much only able to see the oil temperature. On a different thread I read that the I4 engines do not have oil pressure sensors, is that true? I would also like to be able to measure oil level. Here's a screenshot of one of the "dashboards" I've setup (see attached).

EDIT: Additional details- I saw one thread on here on this about adding more stuff with specific PID codes but didn't see any instructions or the actual codes. I did import the specific GM codes and was able to get my hands on a few other things, but not all of those work either.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
I would think that you'd be able to pick up oil pressure, since there is a "stop engine light" when oil pressure is low, but I doubt if there is a oil level sensor. The 4 cyl. def. should have that !

·
Registered
748 Posts
Rit said:
I would think that you'd be able to pick up oil pressure, since there is a "stop engine light" when oil pressure is low, but I doubt if there is a oil level sensor. The 4 cyl. def. should have that !
I wouldn't trust that light or whatever sensor is used to activate it. My engine ran bone dry in the course of a week and the light never came on.

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Phantm006 said:
I wouldn't trust that light or whatever sensor is used to activate it. My engine ran bone dry in the course of a week and the light never came on.
Many refer to it as a "your engine just seized" light.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yea, the 2.4 doesnt have oil pressure sensor. I too was driving with no oil and nothing on the Cluster showed up.

But when you start the vehicle, the Cluster shows the symbol for Oil Pressure

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Nick24 said:
Yea, the 2.4 doesnt have oil pressure sensor. I too was driving with no oil and nothing on the Cluster showed up.

But when you start the vehicle, the Cluster shows the symbol for Oil Pressure
I believe that it does, it just is useless because it triggers the oil light when it is too late. A gauge would be more useful.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Some newer trucks actually have oil pressure or temp gauges. I remember when they cars and trucks had both.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Rit said:
I believe that it does, it just is useless because it triggers the oil light when it is too late. A gauge would be more useful.
I was actually driving for afew days without oil, I randomly cchecked one day and it was dry. I was shocked on the cluster told me nothing. I was actually scared bc I just got the car and I was having oil issues, and then one week later I got a Extended Warranty letter in the mail. I was really happy about that.

·
Registered
431 Posts
JayT2014 said:
Some newer trucks actually have oil pressure or temp gauges. I remember when they cars and trucks had both.
That would be nice JayT.

My wife's 2002 Bucik has a gage for battery level. I wish the Terrain had that. That would of helped me afew days ago.

The Terrains Cluster is really simple. Speedometer, RMPs, fuel(Surprised it has that lol) and Engine temp.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Rit said:
The 2.4L does have a oil pressure switch.
The problem is it takes only a quart or two of oil in the oil pan to show a minimum pressure to keep the light from going on.
At this point the dipstick will not show any oil and you have a problem.

The 3.6L in my 2014 has an oil pressure switch and an oil level switch in the oil pan.
The DIC will show a low oil level message before you get to a true low level situation.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know where to find PID codes (specifically for the oil pressure)? In the original post you'll notice the oil pressure was reading 0.0, which seems like it's the valid code since it is getting a reading. The others which either weren't applicable or wrong codes were just blank. Obviously not a correct reading though, so wasn't sure if the connection on the computer was just grounded due to lack of a sensor.

If we can figure that out we should be able to get an exact pressure reading, as opposed to the "your engine just burned up" light

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
If may not know the exact pressure, it may just trip the light when the the pressure gets below a certain PSI.

Reactions: Anon00769

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was actually driving for afew days without oil, I randomly cchecked one day and it was dry. I was shocked on the cluster told me nothing. I was actually scared bc I just got the car and I was having oil issues, and then one week later I got a Extended Warranty letter in the mail. I was really happy about that.

Hey I have a 15 2.4l terrain that's burning 2 quarts every 6k miles or so, but my Odom just hit 64k. I have the extended warranty... Do you think carmax would rebuild me before 100k mile warranty is up? It is burning oil slowly like a 150k mile car, but I know the warranty says anything that's not regular wear and tear, meaning PISTON RINGS, but NOT TIMING like wtf I'll never buy another Chevy. Thanks in advance man cuz carmax is 2 hours away

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Why not give them a call, instead of getting opinions from strangers ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts