GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
hehe, 10-11 yr old thread revived...
but anyways....speaking of oil at Wal Mart.... yeah- I have not been able to get Valvoline Conventional oil at WM for a while. Always empty. Price label still there-- but empty

on the 2003 Trailblazer... for 182,000 miles nothing but Valvoline Conventional and ACDELCO filter.
I was recently at Costco- and they had the Kirkland Full synthetic on sale. I believe it was cheaper than the Valvoline Conventional. I bought 12 quarts. (Trailblazer takes 7 qts with filter change). Changed the oil.
2 days later--- darn Rack and pinion started leaking lots of PS fluid.... 19 yr old..... This Sunday I finished installing the replacement rack and pinion, tie rods, and upper and lower ball joints.
Its all good now.

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
That taught you a lesson for changing oil brand. LOL

Reactions: 2016 Terrain SLT

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Cause and effect!!! Right!

folks lesson of the day--- dont change oil brands after 182,000 miles--- or your Rack and pinion will leak big time.

by the way... it was the factory ball joints I removed.... they werent super loose like Ive seen on youtube. but the uppers boots were torn.

·
Registered
2011 GMC TERRAIN SLT-2 3.0L V6 (LF1)
55 Posts
The following is my experiences with dealer/lube shops.
1. You get some snot nosed idiot to change your oil
2. Once I had the drain plug fall out
3. Didn't replace the metal guard around the plugs on my Corvette.

Things that can happen...
1. Over or under fill
2. Not get the correct type oil (syn)
3. Strip the threads
4. Filter not replaced

When I do it, I KNOW the following....
1. Correct oil (syn)
2. Correct level
3. Plug installed correctly
4. Nothing is missing
5. New filter
6. Nothing out of the ordinary under the car

Oil/filter change = $44 (Amsoil)
labor = 20 minutes..tops
Satisfaction = priceless
Acording to the Magnusis/Moss Act(?). If a car mfg. demands you to use their oil/filter, by law they are required to furnish them free of charge.

I have NEVER seen an engine problem caused by the correct oil/filter and change interval.
If you have a receipt that is good enough for the courts. Especially if you have a long history of changing your own oil. It's up to the prosecuter to pvove you DIDN'T change your oil.

SuperMat, what PROOF do you have the shop changed your oil/filter? Because they said so? ::)
I AGREE wholeheartedly with this.
A few years ago I took my Cadillac deville concourse to an oil change place (my old boss said if I take his truck
In for an oil change he would pay for one for mine also), I said sure ok. Big mistake...
They put in 17 freaking quarts in my caddy. How the hell does that happen? It ran rough on the way back to work so since it ran fine beforehand I figured maybe they did accidentally unhooked something while doing the oil change.
I saw nothing wrong then decided to check the dipstick for low oil and was pleasantly surprised.
I had the company sign a drawn up contract that if the motor failed soon after that they would foot the bill for fixing it and they signed it. Car was fine though, and was only driven 2 miles back to my work.
Company went under soon afterwards. No wonder.
I should have known better as I don't let anyone change oil in my cars except for me but hey, a free change, what could go wrong?

41 - 44 of 44 Posts