GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
SuperMat64 said:
Over 50$, and how much does it cost you to do it yourself ? 5 quarts @ around 7$ per quart (for good Full Synthetic Oil like Castrol SLX Pro recommended by GMl) + ~10$ filter = 45$

Sorry but my time worth more that 5 to 10$ savings.

And for your invoice of oil purchase, it doenst really proof that you made the oil change. I can take the invoices of my friend... if it is.... Mileage is hand writed and have no records anywhere... + If you have really a warranty issue and that they begin to be picky, they can also argue that you don't use the AC Delco oil filter.

Nissan void warranty if you don't use their air filter/oil filter/oil...

IMHO is doenst worth the trouble to make that ourselves.
I enjoy the confidence gained of knowing that the job is done right. So many times I have seen oil drain plugs replaced early in the oil change process before all of the oil has been drained. I have checked the fluid level post change and found it to be overfilled. I simply enjoy the work and feel good about knowing the job is well done with all of the old oil changed out and not overfilled with new synthetic. I roughly save over half of the cost if using synthetic. Hiowever, I know of a place that will change your oil for $9.99 around the corner from me including regular oil and a filter.

·
Registered
830 Posts
It depends on where you go.

How much is a quart of good full synthetic oil in the usa ?

wbassnp007 said:
I enjoy the confidence gained of knowing that the job is done right. So many times I have seen oil drain plugs replaced early in the oil change process before all of the oil has been drained. I have checked the fluid level post change and found it to be overfilled. I simply enjoy the work and feel good about knowing the job is well done with all of the old oil changed out and not overfilled with new synthetic. I roughly save over half of the cost if using synthetic. Hiowever, I know of a place that will change your oil for $9.99 around the corner from me including regular oil and a filter.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I get the 5 qt jug of Penn Platinum from WalMart for $20 now.

Also, if you say that it saves time, I'd venture that if you timed it, youd be wrong. It takes me right at 20 minutes to do a full oil change if the oil is warm enough. Driving to the oil change place, waiting and then driving back probably takes the same amount of time unless you go to walmart. :(:(:(

·
Registered
830 Posts
I guess it's another thing that canadiens get robbed about... here a 5L jug of Synthec is like 40$.

And no for the time, i go to my GMC Dealer that doesnt require an appointment, take about 5 minutes to go there and 15~20 minutes have the oil change done and invoiced.

bballr4567 said:
I get the 5 qt jug of Penn Platinum from WalMart for $20 now.

Also, if you say that it saves time, I'd venture that if you timed it, youd be wrong. It takes me right at 20 minutes to do a full oil change if the oil is warm enough. Driving to the oil change place, waiting and then driving back probably takes the same amount of time unless you go to walmart. :(:(:(

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The following is my experiences with dealer/lube shops.
1. You get some snot nosed idiot to change your oil
2. Once I had the drain plug fall out
3. Didn't replace the metal guard around the plugs on my Corvette.

Things that can happen...
1. Over or under fill
2. Not get the correct type oil (syn)
3. Strip the threads
4. Filter not replaced

When I do it, I KNOW the following....
1. Correct oil (syn)
2. Correct level
3. Plug installed correctly
4. Nothing is missing
5. New filter
6. Nothing out of the ordinary under the car

Oil/filter change = $44 (Amsoil)
labor = 20 minutes..tops
Satisfaction = priceless
Acording to the Magnusis/Moss Act(?). If a car mfg. demands you to use their oil/filter, by law they are required to furnish them free of charge.

I have NEVER seen an engine problem caused by the correct oil/filter and change interval.
If you have a receipt that is good enough for the courts. Especially if you have a long history of changing your own oil. It's up to the prosecuter to pvove you DIDN'T change your oil.

SuperMat, what PROOF do you have the shop changed your oil/filter? Because they said so? ::)

·
Registered
830 Posts
You have an invoice, with date, name, address, model, engine, mileage and all the required info printed on it.

The dealer have an historic of the vehicle maintenance.

Even if you go to a third party shop, they will also have a record of that.

For me, For the time the car in under warranty, i do my oil change at the dealer. After the warranty where only me have to deal with the mileage and date the oil change are done, i have a friend mechanic that do it free for me. It's not a lot cheaper to do it yourself than going to the dealer. Here in canada it is a matter of ~15$ difference.

IMHO for the time of the warranty, i prefer paying a little more and having the peace of minds if anything goes wrong during that period that the warranty will be applied.

Even if you have the peace of mind doing it yourself, what happening if you get a deffective oil filter and that damage your engine ? Will you go to walmart to try having them replace your engine ?

At the dealer, if they put a deffective oil filter, thats their problem and they will take care of everything.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Oil changes are not really a suit and tie activity, and if you are that kind of guy, I understand completely regarding having somebody do it for you.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
Good thing that I deal with a smaller family run dealership...and have a great two man high rep Indy shop for the HD. I have no desire or intention to do my own mechanical work just because I shouldn't trust anyone. It could be fairly easy to stretch that distrust to all aspects of mechanical care or work. Never cared much for banging around wrenches to save a few bucks...unless it's adding a few select accessories to the bike. However..I've developed a friendly relationship with the one or two mechanics who work on my vehicles ..or service them.
The larger GM or Harley dealerships are definate no nos for me. The all business 'run em in get em out' atmosphere is very telling and word of mouth war stories are enough red flags to look elsewhere.
We test drive new vehicles at various larger dealships..and get their final offer on trade-in for reference..but luckily our smalltown dealership just a few miles out of the city always beats others by a few grand. However..patience is key..no matter how hot and enticing a new car design. Gotta have now car 'love affairs' is what can lock many into a poor dealer relationship..that often offer absolutely no connection to anyone beyond the salesman's cubical..whatsoever..unless heated confrontations of lengthy dissatisfaction occur. A blind trust can eventually reveal the disconnect that you are only one of many faceless jobs waiting in line.
I would venture to say that probably over 50%(these days) of new car buyer's main concern is the monthly payment and availability. Little concern with the actual cost at the end...just the next smooth transaction into another affordable rental fee of the next new car. Since they will never own it..and have a warranty..extended warranty..the 'behind closed doors' servicing of mega dealerships is good enough..as long as they get some paperwork to toss in the glovebox.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Just because you get a receipt doesn't mean you got what you paid for. A few years back a small lube shop was fined because it was found that they were substituting a lower grade oil for the pricier one they were charging customers.

I put all that info on my service record also.

You still don't know what the shop put in your car. I KNOW what's in mine and that everything's tight.
Granted, there are more legitament shops then crooked shops, but I'm not taking any chances. I've been burned before.

I also have a long recorded history on all my vehicles (a carryover from my military days).

Amsoil stands behind all their products and warrentys your engine from damage caused by their product. Which is a safe bet because I've never heard of an engine related problem caused by oil/filter.

I have not and will not buy anything from Walmart(Chinamart)....ever. I want my money going to as many American buisnesses as possible.

I understand some people can't change their own oil or just don't want to, that's fine, but don't say if you don't have it done by some shop you are getting cheated and not getting a real oil change.

For me, it's not really the money, I could afford to get an oil change every week if I wanted to, it's knowing I'm getting the best product and service I can get. That's the bottom line.

Iceman, I can change my oil, I can't repair a Harley motor or fix a transmission. So I do have to rely on some services. Usually an independant shop that I trust. Very seldom a dealer.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
This is just a small portion of the act banning dealers from voiding a warranty if you do not use their oil.

Can an automotive dealership void your warranty?
Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.

This is illegal.

Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. To better understand this problem it is best to know the differences between the two types of new car warranties and the two types of emission warranties.

When a vehicle is purchased new and the owner is protected against the faults that may occur by an expressed warranty - an offer by the manufacturer to assume the responsibility for problems with predetermined parts during a stated period of time. Beyond the expressed warranty, the vehicle manufacturer is often held responsible for further implied warranties. These state that a manufactured product should meet certain standards. However, in both cases, the mere presence of aftermarket parts doesn't void the warranty.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
SuperMat64 said:
It depends on where you go.

How much is a quart of good full synthetic oil in the usa ?
Penzoil Ultra is $25 ror 5 quarts, Penzoil Platinum is $20 for 5 quarts, Castrol Edge is roughly in the same ballpark, and Quaker State Ultimate Durability is slightly less.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have not and will not buy anything from Walmart(Chinamart)....ever. I want my money going to as many American buisnesses as possible.
So, even buying American products that profit an American company is wrong if you go to WalMart? ::)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'll buy those products at another store. I will not give my money to that company.
After seeing that show on Discovery channel on how Walmart treats it's suppliers, I'll never go there.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
GARYD said:
I'll buy those products at another store. I will not give my money to that company.
After seeing that show on Discovery channel on how Walmart treats it's suppliers, I'll never go there.
I used to work for the VA and I'm familiar with the absolute purity criteria of exclusively buying home grown from a pencil eraser on up. I have however, moved on. The ethical treatment of employees is indeed another story.

·
Registered
626 Posts
GARYD said:
The following is my experiences with dealer/lube shops.
1. You get some snot nosed idiot to change your oil
2. Once I had the drain plug fall out
3. Didn't replace the metal guard around the plugs on my Corvette.

Things that can happen...
1. Over or under fill
2. Not get the correct type oil (syn)
3. Strip the threads
4. Filter not replaced

When I do it, I KNOW the following....
1. Correct oil (syn)
2. Correct level
3. Plug installed correctly
4. Nothing is missing
5. New filter
6. Nothing out of the ordinary under the car

Oil/filter change = $44 (Amsoil)
labor = 20 minutes..tops
Satisfaction = priceless
Acording to the Magnusis/Moss Act(?). If a car mfg. demands you to use their oil/filter, by law they are required to furnish them free of charge.

I have NEVER seen an engine problem caused by the correct oil/filter and change interval.
If you have a receipt that is good enough for the courts. Especially if you have a long history of changing your own oil. It's up to the prosecuter to pvove you DIDN'T change your oil.

SuperMat, what PROOF do you have the shop changed your oil/filter? Because they said so? ::)
Great post. I agree with all of it. And the BS about Nissan trying to void warranties--anyone could take them to court and win that without even trying.

G

·
On the I4 isn't the oil filter just a replaceable cartridge?

On the V6 it's the whole metal can type. I also like the oil drain plug bolt how it's got that lip in it where the rubber o-ring sits making it re-usable and gets compressed to the same point all the time. Those older style compressable gaskets never get changed in a lube shop even though they add .75cents as a line item on your invoice

In Canada a fully synthetic oil change at a lube shop can easily run you $90 with our 13% additional HST sales tax added in.
You can easily find 4 liter jugs or a 6pack of 1L bottles of fully synthetic on sale at Canadian Tire for $25-$30 and a filter for under $10. Add 10min of your time and voila... a job you know gets done right.

Also at a lube shop, I imagine those grubs being half asleep aren't really reading your work order closely and just pump in from whatever oil gun is closest or most commonly used (the economy stuff) and missing the fully synthetic you asked for. Not that they're doing it on purpose, most are hardwarking good people...but you know how it goes with some of those employees.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Over 50$, and how much does it cost you to do it yourself ? 5 quarts @ around 7$ per quart (for good Full Synthetic Oil like Castrol SLX Pro recommended by GMl) + ~10$ filter = 45$

Sorry but my time worth more that 5 to 10$ savings.

And for your invoice of oil purchase, it doenst really proof that you made the oil change. I can take the invoices of my friend... if it is.... Mileage is hand writed and have no records anywhere... + If you have really a warranty issue and that they begin to be picky, they can also argue that you don't use the AC Delco oil filter.

Nissan void warranty if you don't use their air filter/oil filter/oil...

IMHO is doenst worth the trouble to make that ourselves.
$45 is not even close to how much I pay to do my own oil change. Autozone, O'Reilly, Advanced Autoparts, and Pep Boys ALWAYS (and I mean ALWAYS) have oil change specials. For full synthetic, I only pay less than $30, including the filter. For the Equinox and Terrain, they both use 0w-20. Sometimes that means only the brand with the $35 deal will have it if you need high mileage Dexos1 (if you're above 75000+ miles, it'll probably be Valvoline). As for GM, they don't give a crap whether you use AC Delco oil or not (the owners manual recommends either AC Delco or Mobil1 for the filters only. No recommendation of specific brand of oil is mentioned). They just care that you used Dexos1 (or Dexos2 for Diesel engines). Besides: 50% of the time, these places have the oil change deal that comes with the mobil1 filter (if going by the owner's manual gives you peace of mind for warranties and future recalls). Don't have the tools? Most of these places will lend them out FOR FREE! Oil catch pans only cost less than $3. They also take your used oil FOR FREE to be recycled.

·
Registered
15 Posts
$23 for full synthetic at WalMart and $4 for an ACDelco filter in RockAuto plus my cup of coffee and my oil is changed for under $30 in about 20 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have a Fumoto drain on the terrain. i had to use the extension for it to clear the pan, but oil changes are easier . i enjoy doing my own maintenance on the Terrain and the Vette. peace of mind knowing what's done .

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
$23 for full synthetic at WalMart and $4 for an ACDelco filter in RockAuto plus my cup of coffee and my oil is changed for under $30 in about 20 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've always just used WalMart's "SuperTech" Full Synthetic. It's like $18 for 5 quarts, and then I throw in 1 qt. of "Conventional" oil to make my own "blended" oil mixture! Then I recently bought at least a dozen spin-on filters for $2.50 each from RockAuto (Wix). My oil changes cost about $23. Even cheaper when I used to get Pennzoil Platinum for about $10.50/5-quart jug (after rebate). Did that for about 10-15 oil changes ...

Noticed recently, though, that WalMart is no longer carrying "Conventional" oil. Looks like they've replaced it with a "Blended" oil ... but it's only like a buck or so cheaper than "Full Synthetic", so I don't see this lasting very long.

Reactions: 2016 Terrain SLT
21 - 40 of 44 Posts