GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody using a torque wrench when tightening the oil drain plug and oil filter during oil changes?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've never used a torque wrench on an oil drain plug. Just tighten and go. Never use a wrench on an oil filter. Hand tighten only should be more than sufficient.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Cool idea for them who changes their oil themself :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Narg,
If you were referring to my post about "hand tighten only", I was referring to the oil filter because a wrench/torque wrench should never be used to tighten an oil filter. I guess some people need each little detail spelled out sometimes.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks JLF, I thought so but wanted to clarify. Normal instructions on a filter is to screw in until it stops, then hand tighten 1/4 of a turn. I always rub a drop of oil around the seal to help it keep sealed too.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Narg said:
Thanks JLF, I thought so but wanted to clarify. Normal instructions on a filter is to screw in until it stops, then hand tighten 1/4 of a turn. I always rub a drop of oil around the seal to help it keep sealed too.
With the cap on a 2.4 you will need the wrench to tighten the cap. But not too tight.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there any torque recommendations for turning the filter cap with a wrench. This way, you can be sure that it is "not too tight" as you correctly cautioned.

·
Registered
977 Posts
With the size of the cap once I hit resistence I stop. Been doing it for 10 years on my 2.2 2000 Saturn Ls1 and on my 2003 VUE which I owned previously.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The point at which resistance is felt depends upon such variables as arm strength, sensitivity to friction rub, and fulcrum distance. These variables are dependent on the person and size/make of tool used. For example, different mechanics would experience resistance at a different points of rotation depending on the variables mentioned here.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
All good answers. I would say turn the "spin on" filter until it touches the housing and then turn the 1/4 turn. Been doing that for 45 years and never had a leak. I also never used a torque wrench on the drain plugs. Maybe if I was a weight lifter I would. LOL

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Narg said:
Usually torque on a drain plug is 15 to 25 ft/pounds. I'd at least give it a slight twist with a wrench. Hand tightning is asking for problems.

Or look into one of these...

It's called a Fumoto Plug. Awesome idea!

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/
Actually, GM Customer Service advised me today that the oil drain plug, as well as the oil filter housing should both be tightened to a torque of 18 ft.-lbs. For those of you on a different measuring system, GM advised that this converts to 25 newton-meters of torque when tightening both the oil drain plug and oil filter housing.

·
Registered
441 Posts
hand tighten.....IE- tighten to the point where you can get it off by hand.....not rocket science.....its an oil filter.....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gar187er said:
hand tighten.....IE- tighten to the point where you can get it off by hand.....not rocket science.....its an oil filter.....
Hey, give me a break. ;D I like torque wrenches. I used to work as a rocket scientist designing solid propellant rocket motors for the space shuttle!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Why do someone will change their oil himself when the price in garages are so low and we even don't need an appointment and it takes about 15 minutes to do...

+ when it's done in a garage you have a proof that the oil change has been done if you have problem one day and GM ask if your oil changes were done, you will be able to give them a proof.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SuperMat64 said:
Why do someone will change their oil himself when the price in garages are so low and we even don't need an appointment and it takes about 15 minutes to do...

+ when it's done in a garage you have a proof that the oil change has been done if you have problem one day and GM ask if your oil changes were done, you will be able to give them a proof.
It's over 50 bucks around here for synthetic.

·
Registered
441 Posts
SuperMat64 said:

cause people in oil change shops have as much training as the guy next delivering pizza.....i put syn in....i dont need an apt to do it myself...and takes less time to do it myself....keep your receipt as proof, its valid....

·
Registered
830 Posts
Over 50$, and how much does it cost you to do it yourself ? 5 quarts @ around 7$ per quart (for good Full Synthetic Oil like Castrol SLX Pro recommended by GMl) + ~10$ filter = 45$

Sorry but my time worth more that 5 to 10$ savings.

And for your invoice of oil purchase, it doenst really proof that you made the oil change. I can take the invoices of my friend... if it is.... Mileage is hand writed and have no records anywhere... + If you have really a warranty issue and that they begin to be picky, they can also argue that you don't use the AC Delco oil filter.

Nissan void warranty if you don't use their air filter/oil filter/oil...

IMHO is doenst worth the trouble to make that ourselves.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
A fully synthetic oil change costs me $30. To get it done around here its around $55. Then, you have to find a place that you think is good enough to do it. Ive seen shops purposely screw up to charge the owner more money. IE, stripping the drain plug, losing the plug, saying you need worthless maintenance crap. Its a pressure sell type of place as they loose money on regular oil changes.

Just not worth it to do something so easy.

GM is not Nissan. Nissan voids warranties for dumbest reasons. I know guys that had a Sentra SE-R and they failed to do a RECALL on it because he had a different than stock air filter. Yes, AIR FILTER.

All GM requires is that you keep a date/receipt for when you buy and change the oil.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts