GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

"Top Tier" gas recommended in owner's manual

159K views 220 replies 63 participants last post by  GARYD 
#1 ·
Has anyone had good or bad experiences of using "Top Tier" gas in the 2010 Equinox as stated in the owner's manual? I know the 4 Cylinder 2010 Equinox could be a bit noisy and I didn't know if using the Top Tier gas helps cut on the engine noise, etc.

Fuel
Use of the recommended fuel is an important part of the proper maintenance of this vehicle. To help keep the engine clean and maintain optimum vehicle performance, we recommend the use of gasoline advertised as TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. Look for the TOP TIER label on the fuel pump to ensure gasoline meets enhanced detergency standards developed by auto companies. A list of marketers providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline can be found at www.toptiergas.com.

Fuel Additives
To provide cleaner air, all gasolines in the United States are now required to contain additives that help prevent engine and fuel system deposits from forming, allowing the emission control system to work
properly. In most cases, nothing should have to be added to the fuel. However, some gasolines contain
only the minimum amount of additive required to meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency regulations. To help keep fuel injectors and intake valves clean, or if the vehicle experiences problems due to dirty injectors or
valves, look for gasoline that is advertised as TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. Look for the TOP TIER label on the fuel pump to ensure gasoline meets enhanced detergency standards developed by the auto companies. A list of marketers providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline can be found at www.toptiergas.com. For customers who do not use TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline regularly, one bottle of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, added to the fuel tank at every engine oil change, can help clean deposits from fuel injectors and intake valves. GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the only gasoline additive recommended by General Motors. It is available at
your dealer/retailer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, all the time.
However, I find it more important to run straight gasoline. (Read: NO ethanol, none!)
It runs better. It gets better fuel economy, my best so far was 35.6 MPG (DIC), or 34.2 M/G.
I saw a 10% increase in the fuel economy overall. (2.4L I-4)
The same is true when I run pure gas in my motorcycle too, a 15% increase in F/E.

#3 ·
Doulos said:
Yes, all the time.
However, I find it more important to run straight gasoline. (Read: NO ethanol, none!)
It runs better. It gets better fuel economy, my best so far was 35.6 MPG (DIC), or 34.2 M/G.
The same is true when I run pure gas in my motorcycle too, a 15% increase in F/E.
All the gas near me contains Ethanol. The selection in the top teir gasolines is very limited. I do on all my cars add some Fuel system cleaner when I change my oil.

#4 ·
Doulos said:
Yes, all the time.
Based upon energy-content of 10% ethanol vs zero ethanol, you should get 3% better mpg. Getting 10-15% better is a big plus. Not sure how it can happen, but count your blessings.

#9 ·
We've been using nothing but Top Tier gas so far, Phillips 66 to be exact. :)

#12 ·
I've run everything from the smallest gas station to the largest my whole life and have never had a problem. I get gas wherever it's convienient. The only time you will have a problem is when you fill up right after a tanker has filled the stations tanks or the station has a leaky tank and water gets into the gas.

This %$#@ about only using top tier gas and using special engine oils and special waxs etc. is a bunch of hogwash. If using low tier gas is bad, millions of cars would be stalled all over the place.
I don't see anything like that even in 3rd world countries where gas is awful.
Stop worrying and enjoy driving your car.

#13 ·
GaryD, sometimes your posts really indicate that you think we still live in the 50s with nothing being advanced in the past decades.

Yes, gas does have differences. Is it enough to make a difference? Yes. With the new direct injection technology, gas quality has a HUGE effect on the amount of carbon being built up in the vehicle. VW has been at this for a few more years than GM and they are seeing a pretty bad uptick in the number of warranty issues with misfires.

However, with that said, any station that has a good amount of turnover will be good for your vehicle.

#14 ·
What happens differently when high octane gasoline (93) is used, versus regular(87)? Does the engine perform differently? Or is it just a cleaner gas? Or is there no difference at all?

And what's the difference between 'top tier' and high octane?

#15 ·
NateDC
Top tier has more to do with detergent additives (see link in first post)

As for octane; pure gas 87 octane has given me the best fuel economy. I have tried 89 octane with 5% ethanol and it was about the same as the 87 octane. I have tried 91 octane with 1-2 mpg less than 87.
The 87 octane with E10 is really around 83 octane and the ethanol is added to bring it up to 87, and was the worst in fuel economy. That has been my experience, your results may vary. ;D

Just by seat of the pants feel, I think the 87 octane delivered the best performance and the 91 octane only lightened my wallet.
All that to say, that I run Phillips 66 (a top-tier) pure gas 87 octane. In the fall, the Shell station is hoping to have pure gas 87 octane again.

#16 ·
I've used all brands of gas in my day, and for the last 15 or so years Speedway 87 octane exclusively in all my vehicles Corvettes and Harleys. Not one problem ever with either one. Now if I'm going to the mountains or the track, I will put in 93 because I want the best perforemce I can get at that time, and that is the only time.
My vehicles are stock, no hi-per or exotic engines.
Bballr, if that is the case why aren't the roads clogged with cars with messed up engines?
I'll bet 95% of the American driving public has no knowledge of what top tier fuel is let alone use it.
Everything has advanced since the 50's (I was a snot nosed drag racing teenager then). Cars, bikes, oils, filters and gas. I personally think that the current gas is more than adequate for any modern engine.

#17 ·
GARYD said:
Bballr, if that is the case why aren't the roads clogged with cars with messed up engines?
How many of those engines are equipped with DI that atomizes, yes atomizes, the fuel so that it can be burned? Exactly, not many.

Fuel quality messes with these engines. Just go read up on the guys that are having problems with 87 and spark knock. Apparently its real as GM is about to release a fix for the tuning on those engines.

High compression and direct injection make it tough on the fuel.

#18 ·
You are correct, there's not that many DI engines out there so far.
Well, I'll keep that in mind if my Terrain starts to faulter. Like I said I haven't had any issues so far. And I'll be damned if I will give those Arabs any more money then I have to for higher priced gas.
I still can't imagine hundreds of thousands of cars with DI engines running around with regular gas in them.....like I said I doubt if very many people even know about Top tier gas so they'll be pumping normal gas in all these cars. So I guess there is going to be a big mess in the not to distant future. What's your take?

#19 ·
Honestly, I have no idea how its going to work with naturally aspirated direct injection engines. VW was having problems with theirs and they are forced induction. GM has had DI FI engines for about 3 years and I havent really heard/seen any problems with them but not too many Cobalt SS/Solstice GXP/Sky Redline out there with lots of miles.

An Italian tune up will go a long way as air flow is the only way to clean off our valves.

#21 ·
my mazda had a disi engone....didnt care what kind of fuel ya threw at at.....have friends with the 2.3 turbo and same thing, didnt care what ya put in.....

so long as your not buying gas from a station called "happy gas" (i kid you not we have them here in DE), youll be ok....

#22 ·
RNOX said:
The manual says you can use Fuel system cleaner at each oil change so that should keep things clean
How does the fuel system cleaner clean valves on a DI motor?

Simple answer: it doesnt. The fuel doesnt wash over the valves like it does in a regular fuel injection engine.

#23 ·
The owners manual says the following:

"For customers who do not use TOP
TIER Detergent Gasoline regularly,
one bottle of GM Fuel System
Treatment PLUS, added to the fuel
tank at every engine oil change, can
help clean deposits from fuel
injectors and intake valves."

#25 ·
So, how does the "Italian Tune Up"" clean the valves if no gas is going over the valves? Is not the oil doing the cleaning, hence the reason for very good cleaning oils such as Pennzoil PP and PU?
Also , if we use the non ethanol gas and there might be an engine issue would GM/Chevy not warranty if they discover a non "Top Tier" gas being used? The reason I ask is that the only gas station in my area ( Naples, Fl.) that has non ethanol is Marathon and they are not listed as a "Top Tier". Very pricey at $3.39 per gallon 90 octane compared to the $2.80 for 87 (Top Tier Chevron or Shell or Texaco in Naples.

#26 ·
That's my point. If you were a car manufacturer, would you design and sell a car that had to use a special gas that almost nobody even knows about? I think lawyers are lining up at the gates for this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.