GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

To only have the same final drive as the SRX

13K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  FedorekC 
#1 ·
I sometimes wonder about the "generals" thinking.....and I'm going to guess here they figured the Equinox/Terrain are lighter, so give them a taller final.

Check out this V6 FWD run on a SRX

2010 Cadillac SRX 3.0L V6 0-60 MPH

If we only had similar 3.39 final vs the 2.77.

And for giggles

The 2.4 AWD Setup!
2010 Chevrolet Equinox AWD 0-60 MPH

#2 ·
I'm sure they were thinking (and probably correctly) that Cadillac buyers would trade some highway MPG for a little extra performance. Also, was I the only one that noticed the 2.4 seemed quieter than the 3.0 V6? :eek:

#4 ·
grometsc said:
I thought vehicles with the 19" wheels had 3.39. Can't find the source at the moment. Could it have been on the window sticker?

Edit... just looked up my order form and see an F07 3.39 Axle Ratio

Or maybe I am just misunderstanding the point you are trying to make...

#5 ·
grometsc said:
That would be nice for some "hole shots"!!!
8)
Thanks for the videos, grometsc!

#6 ·
gearhead said:
That would be nice for some "hole shots"!!!
Gearhead you HAVE the 3.39.

#7 ·
Yes with the 19" wheels we have the 3.39 final ratio.

#8 ·
While there is a torque gain from 2.77 to 3.39 (approx 19%) some is negated by the larger rim/tire combo. P235/55R19 (29.17" OD) vs P225/65R17 (28.51" OD). Thus the overall gain is approx. 15% which is still significant, but the trade off will be lower MPG's, higher RPM and a little bit more noise at highway speeds.

0-60 would be more of a selling point with a Cadillac then would be fuel economy with a Chevrolet.

Just my two cents.

#9 ·
Terrain said:
Gearhead you HAVE the 3.39.
Dang, still can't beat those Mustangs at the light!
;D
Gonna have "Super(charge) Size our Terrain, I guess! (not).
:)
Thanks for the reminder, Terrain!

#10 ·
gearhead said:
Dang, still can't beat those Mustangs at the light!
;D
Gonna have "Super(charge) Size our Terrain, I guess! (not).
:)
Thanks for the reminder, Terrain!
You can sleep easy tonight knowing you have that gear ratio!

I have seen those MPG-o-matic Youtube videos before and admit that they are kind of cool. Can't say as I've ever 'floored' the throttle in my Terrain. Actually, the last time I merged onto the 401 I gave 'er some juice (like 5500 RPMs worth) to get in front of a semi and was pretty freaked out to see the cloud of smoke in my rear view mirror. No CEL so I guess I'm OK.

Guess I drive like an old lady most of the time...

#11 ·
Terrain said:
Actually, the last time I merged onto the 401 I gave 'er some juice (like 5500 RPMs worth) to get in front of a semi and was pretty freaked out to see the cloud of smoke in my rear view mirror.
???

Smoke from what? Your tires? ;)

#12 ·
2010Nox said:
???

Smoke from what? Your tires? ;)
lol yeah right. I wish these **** Hankooks would smoke themselves bald so I'd have a good reason to replace them. I have no doubt that they are contributing to the very harsh ride (please no flames - we've been through this before) that I feel my Terrain has. Thank god I have a decent stereo because the interior has loosened up considerably in the seven months I've had the stupid thing. More squeaks and rattles than the old 15-year old Jeep Cherokee I used to have!

But really, it must have been either carbon burning up, or an extremely rich combustion event. As I said, no check engine light so I guess everything's OK.

#13 ·
Terrain said:
lol yeah right. I wish these **** Hankooks would smoke themselves bald so I'd have a good reason to replace them. I have no doubt that they are contributing to the very harsh ride (please no flames - we've been through this before) that I feel my Terrain has. Thank god I have a decent stereo because the interior has loosened up considerably in the seven months I've had the stupid thing. More squeaks and rattles than the old 15-year old Jeep Cherokee I used to have!

But really, it must have been either carbon burning up, or an extremely rich combustion event. As I said, no check engine light so I guess everything's OK.
LOL that's the reason why i replaced them with TOYO Versado CUV before i take it out of the dealer !

#14 ·
Terrain said:
With the DI, its best to actually get the engine up in the RPM every now and then to blow off some the carbon deposits. Without the aid of fuel wash over the valves, carbon does build up and the excess air flow at higher RPMs help blow it off.

Plus, it feels good to get the engines up to redline. They are pretty stout. :D

#15 ·
bballr4567 said:
With the DI, its best to actually get the engine up in the RPM every now and then to blow off some the carbon deposits. Without the aid of fuel wash over the valves, carbon does build up and the excess air flow at higher RPMs help blow it off.

Plus, it feels good to get the engines up to redline. They are pretty stout. [/color]:D
Ain't that the truth!
Nothing like the feeling of being pushed back in your seat by the massive g-force of the V6!
LOL, ok so I exaggerate, but she does like to rev high, seems the powerband is up over 4500 RPM for sure.

#16 ·
I just watched both vids again and I now know why the V6 owners usually complain about the noisy engine. If they had the mics set up the same then the Ecotec I4 is much quieter even at full throttle..

#17 ·
SuperMat64 said:
Yes with the 19" wheels we have the 3.39 final ratio.
Appears only the 3.0 AWD w/ 19" has even the option to get that, and it was a late year addition....Great but AWD pretty much ruins any gain, it should be 3.84 w/ AWD and 3.39 w/ FWD.

NoobNox said:
I just watched both vids again and I now know why the V6 owners usually complain about the noisy engine. If they had the mics set up the same then the Ecotec I4 is much quieter even at full throttle..
I havent heard many complaints on the V6 for sound (most like the V6 sound @ rev's)...but yes when you push the 3.0L it sounds much nicer than pushing the 2.4. The 2.4 as many of the reviews talks about, sounds like the engine is struggling to push the oversized utes we have.

#18 ·
grometsc said:
I havent heard many complaints on the V6 for sound (most like the V6 sound @ rev's)...but yes when you push the 3.0L it sounds much nicer than pushing the 2.4. The 2.4 as many of the reviews talks about, sounds like the engine is struggling to push the oversized utes we have.
I read every review I could get my hands on before buying my Nox, and all but one reviewer recommended going for the I4 over the V6...even the notorious leadfoots at Car and Driver and Motortrend! I do like the sound of the V6 better, but I was just commenting on how much louder it sounded at full throttle versus the I4...normally it should be the other way around.

#19 ·
NoobNox said:
I read every review I could get my hands on before buying my Nox, and all but one reviewer recommended going for the I4 over the V6...even the notorious leadfoots at Car and Driver and Motortrend! I do like the sound of the V6 better, but I was just commenting on how much louder it sounded at full throttle versus the I4...normally it should be the other way around.
The complaints on the V6 have not been "sound"...Its on the lackluster gearing...Hence this topic.

A DOHC 24valve V6 is always going to sound "louder" than a DOHC 16valve I4 when the cams are driven the same way (ie...both chain). The V6 has nice rumble to it once its moving....

#21 ·
grometsc said:
Appears only the 3.0 AWD w/ 19" has even the option to get that, and it was a late year addition....Great but AWD pretty much ruins any gain, it should be 3.84 w/ AWD and 3.39 w/ FWD.
Late year addition? As in late 2009? My T was built in November of 09 and I have the 3.39 (according to the window sticker).

And agreed, I too love the sound of the 3.0.

#22 ·
Agreed. It has a very sexy roar. I tested it out this morning on my way to work ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.