GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s everyone else getting out of their factory tires? I got about 40,000 kms on my original tires and they told me today they need to be replaced soon. Anyone else get ****ty life out of their OEM tires? Installed winters both winters I’ve had the vehicle. But ridiculous manufacturers still buy the ****tiest tires to go on vehicles from the factory.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
When kind are your '****ty' tires ?

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Whoops, what

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
2014 awd nox. Rotated regularly. 65000 miles. Took us thru a lot of ****ty ice snow mud rain , dry. Michelin latitudes. Oems.

Great traction. But noisy as ****. Replaced with bfg traction sport ta’s. So far so good. One season. Quite.

😄❄🌦☀🍹🚗

Jay tee 2014 your thoughts friend ?..

·
Registered
268 Posts
Comparing tire wear between two people is as pointless as comparing mpg.

City driving is going to give you the worst tire wear and mpg.

Highway driving is going to give you the best of each.

Most people fall somewhere between the two but how much of each is what will determine how your tires last.

Driving style counts as well. Someone who floors it often and waits right till the stop sign to hit the brakes is going to do worse.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the Michelin Premier LTX. 12000 miles and not alot of life left. I would always get 50 to 60 K out of other tires, on other vehicles, including Michelins on other cars. I have been researching and it seems these don't last much past 20K as OEM.. Some report good life as purchasing new from a tire dealer. I may buy other Michelins but not the Premier LTX.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I got about 40,000 kms
Come on. What are you fishing for? 40K km is less than 25K miles. That is very early for even the cheapiest of tires to wear out.

Did you rotate them? Check air pressure? Is your alignment off?

Maybe you should be looking at suspension components before your next set of tires; just in case, your ware rate is reality.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Come on. What are you fishing for? 40K km is less than 25K miles. That is very early for even the cheapiest of tires to wear out.

Did you rotate them? Check air pressure? Is your alignment off?

Maybe you should be looking at suspension components before your next set of tires; just in case, your ware rate is reality.

Depends on the tires, temperature, roads and driver. I got less than 20k miles out of the stock PZeros on my X3. Thats with AWD. The Equinox's front tires have about 7/32 left, rears 9/32 with 12k miles on it, so I doubt it will get much better. Hot temperatures, poor roads and "highly skilled" drivers will always go through tires faster than normal. Trail brakers (like me, admittedly) will go through front tires in a hurry.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Stock Michelins on my '16 AWD lasted 50k miles until they were too thin for another winter.
I put on Bridgestone Alenza's , I get at least 60k miles of of them on my Tahoe, quiet and very good winter traction. I'm a snowmobiler so winter grip is important along with good year round performance. So far so good on the 'nox, looks like they will go 60k miles easily. Drop the hammer in snow and it goes.
The 'nox is my wifes vehicle and as a former Audi summer testing driver in the '80's she is no slouch on the gas pedal and the corners.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I’ve got about 22k on my LTX’s and they are maybe half worn If that. If you are only getting 20k from them there is a major issue somewhere that isn’t the tires. If you don’t find anything before you buy tires again I would buy the absolute cheapest tires you can find if they will be gone in another 20k.

·
Registered
193 Posts
We have the original Michelin LTX tires on a 2018 Premier purchased in Aug. 2017. The vehicle currently has 21K miles and tires are showing more wear than I think they should. There's little more than 1/8" tread left. Here's the kicker, in late FalI each year I put mounted snow tires on and put the Michelins back on in the Spring. Conservatively we only put 2 -2.5K on it each of the 3 Winters since we've owned it. Tires are rotated at seasonal change over time and there is no uneven wear. Tire pressures are monitored via DIC and gauge at seasonal change overs. These tires are junk. Pretty disappointing since my previous experience with Michelin tires has been excellent, (40-50k miles). Looks like I'll have to look at different brands soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My personal vehicles have never logged less than 70k miles out of the factory. Our '16 Equinox only has 14K on it and the tires look like the day we bought it. My '17 Silverado with 28K is on track for at least 70K. My work vehicles were Crown Vic Interceptors and Expeditions and with the exception of the '08 Crown Vic and some railroad tracks (don't ask), all got over 60K out of the box, but we didn't pay for replacements, thank you Goodyear!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve got about 22k on my LTX’s and they are maybe half worn If that. If you are only getting 20k from them there is a major issue somewhere that isn’t the tires. If you don’t find anything before you buy tires again I would buy the absolute cheapest tires you can find if they will be gone in another 20k.

Must be nice to have that option. With the leases, we have to put back the same type of tires as stock. The Equinox came with Ultra High Performance All season, Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires (500 treadwear). So it needs to go back with UHP All Seasons, though they don't have to be the same brand or tire. The X3 came with Pirelli PZero PZ4 Run flats (320 treadwear), so it has to go back with Max Performance Summer Run flats.

You gotta pay to play. I burned through a set of Continental DWS's on my 335GT in about 25k miles, so accelerated wear is nothing new. I'd rather buy new tires every couple of years then have a vehicle so underpowered and poor handling that it can't wear them out. When I hear about people getting 80-90k out of a set of tires with their econoboxes, it makes me laugh. They're so proud of that. But to me, its absolutely pathetic.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Must be nice to have that option. With the leases, we have to put back the same type of tires as stock. The Equinox came with Ultra High Performance All season, Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires (500 treadwear). So it needs to go back with UHP All Seasons, though they don't have to be the same brand or tire. The X3 came with Pirelli PZero PZ4 Run flats (320 treadwear), so it has to go back with Max Performance Summer Run flats.

You gotta pay to play. I burned through a set of Continental DWS's on my 335GT in about 25k miles, so accelerated wear is nothing new. I'd rather buy new tires every couple of years then have a vehicle so underpowered and poor handling that it can't wear them out. When I hear about people getting 80-90k out of a set of tires with their econoboxes, it makes me laugh. They're so proud of that. But to me, its absolutely pathetic.

As long as the tires it goes back with are the same load rating, speed rating, stock size, and are all of the same model regardless of manufacturer you should be fine. There are plenty of 235/50R19 99H tires out there that would fit the bill. Putting $1,000 worth of tires on it and then giving it back is a waste of money. A set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons for $650 would work just fine and GM would be happy.

I have leased with GM before, and when the car went back they checked the tread depth and made sure the tires weren't mismatched...that was it.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
As long as the tires it goes back with are the same load rating, speed rating, stock size, and are all of the same model regardless of manufacturer you should be fine. There are plenty of 235/50R19 99H tires out there that would fit the bill. Putting $1,000 worth of tires on it and then giving it back is a waste of money. A set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons for $650 would work just fine and GM would be happy.

I have leased with GM before, and when the car went back they checked the tread depth and made sure the tires weren't mismatched...that was it.

Agree - plus the dealer has no record of what brand tire the vehicle was delivered with.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Cheapest TPC spec tire would fit the bill.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I wouldn't even worry about TPC. After 42,500 miles I replaced the OEM, TPC spec Michelin Latitudes on my Equinox with non-TPC USA-made Cooper Evolution Tours. Ride, handling, quietness are all much better. The Coopers are the OEM size and speed rating, slightly higher load rating. Over 15,000 miles now on the Coopers and happy.

Will they last the 65,000 miles that Cooper claims...probably not. But the Michelins were below 4/32" at 42,500 miles, rotated at every service, and also rated for 65,000 miles so it doesn't really matter. No need to spend $800 for a set of Michelins when the the Coopers were $450 installed and will last the same amount of miles.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I really don't like favoriting/recommending brands, but I will admit I am very bias (no pun intended) toward Cooper. I have had nothing but positive experience using the Cooper brand. That being said my Terrain is the only vehicle that doesn't have Cooper tires on it. I am now running Mastercraft; Cooper owned, but with less than 5k miles I am very impressed.

The factory tires lasted 90k miles. Then it was a set of Nankang which went to 167k and now onto Mastercraft. If I get less than 230k I will be disappointed.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've had Cooper Altimax RT43 on a Malibu and liked them. Sold that car before tires wore out. IMO Michelin are over rated and priced. Pirelli, Conti are also on my no buy list.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts