GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Tire rack has been shipping free for a couple of years now. I believe it was because their Discount Tire Direct competition shipped free from the beginning. I shop tires based on performance ratings and price. I've bought from both and have had excellent results from both. I never buy tire/wheel packages because so often after market suppliers base their fits on bolt circle and have too much variance in center bore and offset. I agree with the above poster regarding the level of service provided at some of our local tire stores. I've had wheels bent and poor balancing too many times, so as a hobbyist, I purchased my own equipment to mount and balance my own and have never looked back. For wheels, I always buy OE, online or through Hollander parts salvage yards. JMHO.
Howard

·
Registered
10,032 Posts
Tire rack has been shipping free for a couple of years now. I believe it was because their Discount Tire Direct competition shipped free from the beginning. I shop tires based on performance ratings and price. I've bought from both and have had excellent results from both. I never buy tire/wheel packages because so often after market suppliers base their fits on bolt circle and have too much variance in center bore and offset. I agree with the above poster regarding the level of service provided at some of our local tire stores. I've had wheels bent and poor balancing too many times, so as a hobbyist, I purchased my own equipment to mount and balance my own and have never looked back. For wheels, I always buy OE, online or through Hollander parts salvage yards. JMHO.
Howard

So, you can mount and balance your own tires ? Seems like a huge expense to save small amount of money. Care to comment how much you spent ? I would like to be able to do that, but it seems cost prohibitive.

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Agree about the wheel combo fit... AFTER I ordered my wheel/winter tire combo I was informed the package came with "centering rings" for the wheels.. If I had known this before I ordered, I would have not chosen those wheels... The centering rings are thin plastic , easily broken and I have to remember to take them off before putting the summer wheels back on if they stay on the hub instead of staying on the wheel when the wheel is removed.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Agree about the wheel combo fit... AFTER I ordered my wheel/winter tire combo I was informed the package came with "centering rings" for the wheels.. If I had known this before I ordered, I would have not chosen those wheels... The centering rings are thin plastic , easily broken and I have to remember to take them off before putting the summer wheels back on if they stay on the hub instead of staying on the wheel when the wheel is removed.
Was this combo purchased through TireRack?

They typically state what is included with the purchase on their website.

My latest combo for my Silverado said that new lug nuts, a thinwall socket, a lug wrench and an owners manual was included; I believe you have to click a tab that says included accessories to view this info.

My wheels were hubcentric and mount directly to the hub without rings; if rings were needed, they would have been listed in the included accessories.

All of this info can be researched prior to making the purchase through TireRack

·
Registered
193 Posts
Tire Tools $$

So, you can mount and balance your own tires ? Seems like a huge expense to save small amount of money. Care to comment how much you spent ? I would like to be able to do that, but it seems cost prohibitive.
I will look up the invoices for the changer and balancer and follow up. I can tell you that I bought my setup from Derek Weaver in Texas. It's hard to tell what others may consider expensive. It's a matter of priorities. Think about it this way, I order the tires, they're delivered to my door. When I get around to mounting them I pull the vehicle into a heated shop and onto a lift. After removing the tires and wheels I roll them into a side room, (20' away), where the tire machines are. When done I mount them to the vehicle and I never had to leave home. This means a lot to me because I enjoy working in my shop and it becomes even more convenient as I grow older. BTW I do tires for our sons and a few close friends. At present, in the shop, there's 20 tires and wheels that I've mounted, 4 of which are waiting for the vehicle that will show up this weekend.
Howard

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
The info may indeed have been included in the breakdown of what was included but I either didn't read it, or notice it.. I would be nice if when a wheel is not an exact fit if a pop up window appeared saying that centering rings are needed instead of having to check the invoice or look for a tab. There was no trickery and I should have checked but by choosing the wheels I did there wasn't any immediate indication of centering rings being required. I didn't click the tab or notice it when I ordered.. No biggie really, the centering rings simply make sure the studs are in perfect alignment for the lug nuts and I could hold the wheels in proper position with something under them w/o the rings if I needed to. I also saw the offset is off by -2 .. Some were off by much more. I don't know a lot about wheels/tires so this was an education for me. All said and done, the wheels fit nicely in the wells, don't stick out at all, the balance is great and the traction on snow is outstanding (blizzak WS-80's)

·
Registered
193 Posts
$$ Follow-up

Unfortunately I no longer have the original invoice for the machines I have, but here's the info. on them. Tire Changer Model 890-IT, Balancer Model W-937. I bought these as a "Combo" back in 2011 and I'm sure I paid a little less than $2000. Shipping was free by common carrier. I had to provide unloading equipment. (I used the forks on my tractor).
Using these tire machines as a hobbiest and not in production has provided me with bullet proof service.

I don't see these models on the Derek Weaver web site anymore, but the following model, (combo 1) , has the same specs. as the ones I have:
https://www.derekweaver.com/tire-changer-wheel-balancer-combos/
If anyone is seriously thinking of buying their own machine, keep in mind that there will be some minor additional expenses ie., Wheel weights, (clip-on for steel wheels, stick-on for aluminum wheels), weight remover pliers, mounting lube and mounting sealant.
I went to some trouble getting this together, I hope the questions were serious.
Howard

·
Registered
193 Posts
Centric rings

I haven't had any experience with the plastic rings but in a couple of cases I have used the aluminum rings. They're listed as "Centric Rings" online. I have found a wide variety of sizes listed on Ebay. They can be a PITA installing and removing seasonally, but for vehicles that have few, if any, aftermarket wheels with the exact center hole dimensions, they are the right way to go.
Howard

21 - 28 of 28 Posts