GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the reason why there are tire size differences between Canada and USA? The US site states 235/60R18 and 235/60R19 where in Canada these sizes are 235/55R18 and 235/55R19.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Great observation! I am surprised they are using different tire sizes. Are we sure it's not just a typo?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I will definitely be checking mine later today...

Edit... definitely 55 series 19" tires on my Canadian Terrain

·
Registered
89 Posts
Terrain said:
I will definitely be checking mine later today...

Edit... definitely 55 series 19" tires on my Canadian Terrain
Yep, same on 18's, also Canadian model.

·
Registered
10,113 Posts
NY - 225/65/17

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've spoken with a few tire dealers in the Greater Vancouver area (Goodyear, Hankook & Michelin) and they believe that the 55 vs 60 is to produce perhaps a softer ride. It's only about .5", but maybe it's manufactured with a different wall compound. Some have complained about a harsh ride on the 19", not sure if they're 55 or 60. Some of this makes some sense, but the complaints seem only 19" are producing a harsh ride (not something I noticed during a 2 hour test drive) and both 18" & 19" have same side wall either 55 or 60. Mystery continues I guess.

·
Registered
698 Posts
^ No, it's not a myth. I think we discussed this before. It depends on the surfaces you drive on. The ride on my Terrain with the 19s is quite 'controlled', but it's far from cushy on cracked/broken pavement.

·
Registered
115 Posts
ok, 2010nox w 18" wheels in USA...

Michelin 235/55/18

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's starting to appear that the brochure is incorrect in the USA regarding 55 vs 65. This makes more sense.

·
Registered
446 Posts
SnowItch said:
I think the 19" harsh ride is a myth. I have the 19s and like the ride (and they are 55s - so I believe the literature was incorrect).
Definately NOT a myth. Especially when you need to buy a new tire, new berrings, new spindal, and new tie rod due to low profile tires after a small pot hole.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speaking of typos!!! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
someone from Chevy Forum has Bridgestone.

and i have Michelin
[img]http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pu1f_3m3qEVtMDMgHP2TKi4knTCYUwM7jgsl__NkRTMYx3FiPayEt_cz0Sn4KqvUBRvPXn4MB5figA2PYmirIpQ/03262010029.jpg

·
Registered
239 Posts
Narg said:
Definately NOT a myth. Especially when you need to buy a new tire, new berrings, new spindal, and new tie rod due to low profile tires after a small pot hole.
So that happened to you because of the 129mm sidewall on the 19s vs. the 129mm sidewall of the 18s?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Narg said:
This explains everything on that subject!

Geico Pothole Commercial

someone from Chevy Forum has Bridgestone.
Thats because with just a little over 100 miles on the equinox I had the tires replaced with the Bridgestones. I work for Bridgestone, and get new car change overs. The hankooks I had from the factory have horrible reviews, in the test was in the bottom tier according to tirerack. I took advantage of it.

Bridgestone Dueler HL Alensa's in 19" could appear on some eqinox/terrains if the customer wanted 19's but didnt have that on the car as a factory option. From GM accessories the 19's are sold with the Bridgestones vs teh Hankooks (which are the oem factory tire)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts