GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has changed tire sizes from the stock 235/55/18 tires to go shorter and wider to a 245/45/18.... if so any noticeable changes in drivability? MPG? Pics.please if u have...i think they would.look pretty sweet

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
:facepalm: I wouldn't think of ever doing that,
First you'd be way undersized - by 1.5 inches which puts your speedo out by 5.6%, so you will experience the speedo showing you a speed of over 63 mph when your actual road speed is 60 mph. Good if you have an issue with speeding :D

MPG? Well yes of course, it will get worse, distanced travelled at a fixed rpm, will be less with a smaller wheel while consuming the same amount of fuel.

I'd recommend a 255/50R18 - that'll drop your sidewall height by a smidge but also will be compensated by the extra width - so it will look 'shorter' as you put it.

My next 19" tires are going to be 255 series. [/color]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NODES said:
245-50-18 is what I plan on getting on my aftermarket wheels.
im going to look into this size as well...not terribly concerned about the speedo reading as i dont speed much as it is...but i would like a lil beefier look without having to buy new wheels

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
andyacer03 said:
im going to look into this size as well...not terribly concerned about the speedo reading as i dont speed much as it is...but i would like a lil beefier look without having to buy new wheels
Well just so you're aware, you wouldn't need to purchase new wheels for a 255/50R18. All the OEM wheels sizes regardless of rim size are 7 inches wide (the rim that is)
If it's a 'beefier' look your going for - that comes from a wider tire not the sidewall height in this case, ever been behind a BMW X5? They run a 255/50R18 - they look really good!
I can't wait to get a set! In 19's though, won't be as quite as wide but wider than the OEM's.
Happy Motoring![/color]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
POLRCUB said:
Well just so you're aware, you wouldn't need to purchase new wheels for a 255/50R18. All the OEM wheels sizes regardless of rim size are 7 inches wide (the rim that is)
If it's a 'beefier' look your going for - that comes from a wider tire not the sidewall height in this case, ever been behind a BMW X5? They run a 255/50R18 - they look really good!
I can't wait to get a set!
Happy Motoring![/color]
i know exactly what im looking for actually...when i started the thread i hadnt actually researched the tire sizes on the computer...all done quickly on my phone which is kinda limited. When i meant changing rims i was meaing going to a bigger 19-20 rim to get a wider tire...

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
andyacer03 said:
i know exactly what im looking for actually...when i started the thread i hadnt actually researched the tire sizes on the computer...all done quickly on my phone which is kinda limited. When i meant changing rims i was meaing going to a bigger 19-20 rim to get a wider tire...
Ahh gotcha, I was just going by info. your first post,
Regardless just so you understand, to get a wider tire, you don't need to reply on a bigger rim size of 19 or 20 in diameter,
Its the physical rim width you need to be concerned about when going with wider tires and clearance issues when you do go with a 19 or 20 diameter rim.
[/color]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts