GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
"Out the door price $955 CAD " There is quite a jump in price for the 19" - I'm assuming the $955 CAD ($751 USD) is for a smaller tire? I shopped around and thought that $1015 installed was the lowest price I could find for 235/50/R19 CrossClimate2.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Here's some comparisons of top rated tires for the Equinox,

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=272

I find it interesting that the CrossClimate2 at TireRack is $234.00, the OEM Hankooks that are made in China and are more poorly rated are priced higher at $297.00.

I wasn't aware my Hankooks on my Redline were that poorly rated; I haven't noticed problems with hydroplaning and didn't think they were that awful in the snow either.

That being said, I'd probably really be impressed with a set of CrossClimate 2's or the others in the tests above.

·
Registered
223 Posts
"Out the door price $955 CAD " There is quite a jump in price for the 19" - I'm assuming the $955 CAD ($751 USD) is for a smaller tire? I shopped around and thought that $1015 installed was the lowest price I could find for 235/50/R19 CrossClimate2.
Oops, yes, I have the 17" tires so not comparable to the 19"s for price. But still a good deal going on at Costco if you can get your size. I'm leaning to get a set for the Sonic as well

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
I downsized my Denail wheels to 18's and wrapped them with Falken WildPeak A/T Trails and have been extremely happy with them. Haven't been able to test them in deep snow yet as last winter was fairly mild for Wisconsin but they are triple snow peak rated. They have been far better then the factory Hankooks in wet conditions and road noise didn't get that much worse being an A/T tire. And they are definitely a more aggressive look.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
2018 Equinox 2LT 2.0T FWD V92
75 Posts
2019 Terrain Denali.

Michelin CrossClimates 2 all the way ,,,
I'm seriously considering the CrossClimate2's for my Equinox, taking advantage of the current Costco $150.00 rebate. I've read some reviews that complain of significant gas mileage reductions over more conventional thread designs. Have any of you that have these experienced this?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm seriously considering the CrossClimate2's for my Equinox, taking advantage of the current Costco $150.00 rebate. I've read some reviews that complain of significant mileage reductions over more conventional thread designs. Have any of you that have these experienced this?
I will check with my wife tonight. We are just at a week with the tires so no really good info yet….but I can at least see if she is still around 20mpg or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
We just purchased our Equinox early this year so I appreciate the tire recommendation threads for when we need tires.

One brand that you don't see that often that we have run on our Saturn Outlook is Nitto. We currently have their NT421Q. Personally, I've been very pleased with them and see they offer them in the 235/50R19 size on our Equinox. Although they are a speed rating step up V rated tire. Based on their performance on our Outlook I recommend them. They are the second set of Nitto tires we have had on the Outlook and I searched them out for this vehicle as the previous OEM Goodyear Fortera and second set, whose model escapes me, were unimpressive while the previous Nitto Crosstek(discontinued) performed very well. The NT421Qs performed well in two weeks of 10 degree crap snow and cold we had in Kansas City last winter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A week in, sitting right at 20mpg on a 3.6 AWD Terrain. I think this is a tad lower than normal….but I have been driving it. I usually drop into the high teens when I drive it in the city. My wife usually makes it into the lower 20s. Keep in mind this is only 9 days in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have Michelin LTZs, Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready, a couple of sets of Mastercrafts by Cooper. Now I have a set of Goodyear Wranglers.
My point is I have only got about 25k out of any of them.
I see what the Wranglers do.
This on an 2018 2.0t LT2.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have Michelin LTZs, Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready, a couple of sets of Mastercrafts by Cooper. Now I have a set of Goodyear Wranglers.
My point is I have only got about 25k out of any of them.
I see what the Wranglers do.
This on an 2018 2.0t LT2.
25k?? Wow....I have only ever had one set of tires wear that fast and it wasn't on my Terrain. Are they wearing fast, poor wear, noisy, you drive like a madman or are you just a picky mofo and like deeper tread depth than most? Or does the newer gen just wear completely different than the older?
The two sets of tires on our Terrain have both gone 40k miles with tread left. As stated before, the Michelin Latitudes easily had another 10k in them if we hadn't gotten a puncture, they were at 6/32" but had a bolt stuck through a sidewall. The Pirellis would have made another 5-10k if we had no concerns about winter, they were at 5/32". We usually replace our tires when down to 4/32". I don't ever let them get to the wear indicators....its too late by then.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Reminds me of a story. When my brother first got his license, my father couldn't understand how his new tires wore out in only 10 k miles. I'm sure my brother's love of drag racing had nothing to do with it... LOL.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Reminds me of a story. When my brother first got his license, my father couldn't understand how his new tires wore out in only 10 k miles. I'm sure my brother's love of drag racing had nothing to do with it... LOL.
Reminds me of a story of my own.....

When I turned 16 I traded in the car I bought off my father and bought a new Xtreme S10. I went through 22 pairs of tires in that truck. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Reminds me of a story of my own.....

When I turned 16 I traded in the car I bought off my father and bought a new Xtreme S10. I went through 22 pairs of tires in that truck. :ROFLMAO:
Here too. Family mechanic back home made a comment to my mom that the tires and brakes on her van (full size GMC) seemed to last years longer after I moved out to go to university. :oops: I was busted right then and there. I really did abuse that thing. I have been blessed in a way that neither one of my kids show much interest in driving. I don't get how they could have my genes and show so little interest in it but I think this is common with the youth these days.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I downsized my Denail wheels to 18's and wrapped them with Falken WildPeak A/T Trails and have been extremely happy with them. Haven't been able to test them in deep snow yet as last winter was fairly mild for Wisconsin but they are triple snow peak rated. They have been far better then the factory Hankooks in wet conditions and road noise didn't get that much worse being an A/T tire. And they are definitely a more aggressive look.

View attachment 18010
Have you used them in dirt or mud yet? It's good to hear good about the Falken tires. I wondered how they play out in the real world. The tests are just that, tests. Real world driving is the REAL TEST to me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Have you used them in dirt or mud yet? It's good to hear good about the Falken tires. I wondered how they play out in the real world. The tests are just that, tests. Real world driving is the REAL TEST to me.
Haven't driven in mud or dirt as I'm not using the vehicle for any type of off roading. I was just looking for something with a more aggressive look and would handle good during Wisconsin winters without needing a dedicated snow tire. A lot of Subaru forums have had a lot of good things to say about the tires which ultimately made me decide to give them a shot.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Haven't driven in mud or dirt as I'm not using the vehicle for any type of off roading. I was just looking for something with a more aggressive look and would handle good during Wisconsin winters without needing a dedicated snow tire. A lot of Subaru forums have had a lot of good things to say about the tires which ultimately made me decide to give them a shot.
Thank you for your input. If they work in fairly deep snow they are probably good off-road.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
With 2 weeks of having the Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires on the vehicle I've noticed that road noise is slightly louder than the worn Hankooks were. Hard acceleration on dry pavement is much better - it was easy to break traction with the Hankooks. Today we had a little rain so I looked for and aimed at puddles of standing water at 50mph - There was no sensation of hydroplaning - but I'll have to try again at 80mph. Fortunately Maine has provided plenty of water troughs on I-95 I can test on. I did stop at a red light and positioned the front wheels on a wide (and wet) painted stop line and accelerated moderately (briskly) when the light turned green - no traction loss there either.
Turning on gravel parking areas (like a K-turn) does leave marks on the gravel surface. I'm very impressed so far.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Before you do that hydroplaning test at 80, can I get some of your body parts willed to me ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Not sure where you live but on an interstate highway in Maine 80 isn't uncommon on wet or dry roads. Snow and ice not so much.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts