GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
28,000 miles with the original Hankook Ventus 235 50 R-19 and I'm looking for a better tire. Snow performance for an AWD vehicle was never good, wet weather driving was dangerous. Ride quality never bothered me.
Checking ratings at Tire Rack or Amazon isn't very helpful - many of those ratings were written too soon after purchase for the reviewer to have a good idea on how the tire performed.
I'm looking for suggestions on what folks here have found to be good tires in the following order:
1. Wet weather driving
2. Tread wear life (30,000 miles of safe tread would be acceptable)
3. Snow (although I might spring for separate snow tires if priorities #1 & #2 rules out good all-season tires)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I put Continentals on my '18 25,000 miles ago and am very happy with them. Seemed to work great through a Nebraska winter last year, am expecting the same this year. They are. very quiet on the highway/city streets and the ride is great also. I'd recommend them. I went with the Crosstrack 25 (I think).

·
Registered
568 Posts
You might want to take a look at the Severe Weather Rated category of tire for your new tires. They provide all-season use with ratings for severe weather. It is one of the "hot categories" in tires right now. There are 4 tires in the 235/50R19 size currently in this type of tire:

Cooper Discoverer Enduramax (60,000 mile warranty)
Michelin CrossClimate2 (60,000 mile warranty)
Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady (60,000 mile warranty)
Vredstein Quatrac Pro (50,000 mile warranty)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I’m running these in 245/45/20 and after a year, I’m very pleased! Treadwear Warranty was one of my main reasons in selecting it as well!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! Each of the five brands had strong points - it looks like the Michelin CrossClimate 2 has the best ratings for fighting hydroplaning. It's a pricey tire ($240) but if it allows for safer high speed driving in rain it's worth the extra cost. I'll call around tomorrow to see if a dealership can match the Tire Rack / Amazon price.
Interestingly the Tiger Paw Touring A/S is made by Michelin. The CrossClimate has the unique tread design that seems like it would force water out of both sides rather than float as this wide tire on a light vehicle tends to do.
I had a close call years ago on wet roads driving a Corvair - the heavier back of the car wanted to lead dumping me out as the car passed harmlessly over me (I landed in a ditch and the car passed over me with the clearance provided with the car riding high on the bank).
Hydroplaning is serious business - I was surprised that the Equinox with the Hankook Ventus tires floated as easily as it did.
Thanks again for the suggestions!

·
Registered
140 Posts
We have had the OE Michelins, Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS+, and now Michelin CrossClimate2 on our Terrain. We only have a week on the CrossClimate2, so can't really say how good or bad they are. They are quiet and smooth and were on sale at Costco so price wasn't much different from some other options.

We really liked the original OE Michelin tires (can't remember which model they were at this point). They were going strong at 40k miles until we took a bolt to the sidewall which retired them about 10k too soon. We didn't want to spend the $250 a tire to replace, so we ended up with the Pirellis which we really liked. Even with 40k+ miles on them, we still took our Terrain into the Rocky Mountains in winter through the snow with no major issues. There are plenty of cheaper options out there....all tires are some kind of trade off in either performance, noise, ride, mileage, MPG, winter use, or price. Find the one that makes the least compromises that are important to you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
We have had the OE Michelins, Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS+, and now Michelin CrossClimate2 on our Terrain. We only have a week on the CrossClimate2, so can't really say how good or bad they are. They are quiet and smooth and were on sale at Costco so price wasn't much different from some other options.

We really liked the original OE Michelin tires (can't remember which model they were at this point). They were going strong at 40k miles until we took a bolt to the sidewall which retired them about 10k too soon. We didn't want to spend the $250 a tire to replace, so we ended up with the Pirellis which we really liked. Even with 40k+ miles on them, we still took our Terrain into the Rocky Mountains in winter through the snow with no major issues. There are plenty of cheaper options out there....all tires are some kind of trade off in either performance, noise, ride, mileage, MPG, winter use, or price. Find the one that makes the least compromises that are important to you.
I have my eyes on the Cross climate 2 from Costco as well. The tires in the 09 Torrent and 15 Nox can use a new set next spring, please come back and give us an update after you have them for a while. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Good to hear so many like the Michelin CrossClimate2. These are what I am going with in a few weeks assuming I can find them. The local Costco has them with a good rebate but are showing none in stock for my size. I have called a few tire places and they are saying they would need to order them.

Reactions: bigb12359

·
Registered
140 Posts
One reason I jumped on this offer early was availability. I waited a day too long and had to go with the V rated instead of the H rated.

I am hopeful these will hold up over time as well reviewed as they are. I will update experience as we get more miles on them. This is my wife’s vehicle that is daily driven on her 20 mile commute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
$1015 mounted, balanced, tax included. I took Sam's Club price to another tire dealer and they matched the price. As screwed up as everything is now with supply chain issues I feel fortunate.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,996 Posts
$1015 mounted, balanced, tax included. I took Sam's Club price to another tire dealer and they matched the price. As screwed up as everything is now with supply chain issues I feel fortunate.
Wow! $1015 ?? My 2011 is going to need it's 2nd set of replacement tires (since brand new, so 3rd set overall) by the end of the year. I've gotten 80,000+ out of two sets of Michelin Latitudes, but I'll only need about 52,000 miles to reach my milestone 222,222 miles, so I won't be breaking the bank! Maybe step down from Michelin to BFGoodrich or UniRoyal and put a set on for ~$700.👌

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Wow! $1015 ?? My 2011 is going to need it's 2nd set of replacement tires (since brand new, so 3rd set overall) by the end of the year. I've gotten 80,000+ out of two sets of Michelin Latitudes, but I'll only need about 52,000 miles to reach my milestone 222,222 miles, so I won't be breaking the bank! Maybe step down from Michelin to BFGoodrich or UniRoyal and put a set on for ~$700.👌
You got 80K out of my original tires?! I’ve only been averaging 35K when I went to 245/45/20’s! That’s why I wanted to go with the Uniroyal’s to see if I could finally do better!

·
Registered
376 Posts
We get 150" of snowfall annually here (lake effect snow belt) So I have dedicated wheels and bridgestone blizzaks mounted on them.. They do as well or better than my 4x4 truck with all seasons in the snow.. I'd love to be able to get away with the cross climates and not have to change the wheels twice a year but the blizzaks can't be beat for snow IMO

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
We get 150" of snowfall annually here (lake effect snow belt) So I have dedicated wheels and bridgestone blizzaks mounted on them.. They do as well or better than my 4x4 truck with all seasons in the snow.. I'd love to be able to get away with the cross climates and not have to change the wheels twice a year but the blizzaks can't be beat for snow IMO
…in GA, weatherman mentions we might get flurries and we’re shutting everything down and everyone runs out to get bread and milk! Southerners and snow just don’t mix! 🤦‍♂️😂

·
Registered
376 Posts
I used to live in the central rockies at a ski resort (Vail) average annual snowfall there was 500" IIRC.. The nice thing about that was they never salted the roads, it snowed so much the salt couldn't possibly melt all that snow so they just plowed a lot and used sand.. Far less rust issues than here in MI. I spray anti corrosion stuff on the undercarriage each fall and do lots of underbody washes during winter but they still manage to rust here.. I'm really staying on top of the terrain (19' Denali) and if I can go 10 years w/o visible rust I'll be really happy

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,996 Posts
You got 80K out of my original tires?! I’ve only been averaging 35K when I went to 245/45/20’s! That’s why I wanted to go with the Uniroyal’s to see if I could finally do better!
I'd have to double-check my numbers, but I think so. I'm approaching 170,000 on the clock, and I know I rode on the original tires past 80k miles. I didn't install your tires right away, though. I only swapped them on for my long drives to New England in 2015 and part of 2016. Probably did those swaps 6 or 7 times! I know in the Fall of 2016, when your tires were finally installed full-time, during one of those drives, one (rear) tire's sidewall blew out (on I-95 at 75 mph) and I had to replace it ($175 - $50 credit). That replacement Michelin Latitude currently has like 67,000 miles on it alone ... so the others probably have around 77,000+.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You guys got me tire curious, my '16 'nox only got 39k out of the OEM Michelins before they were not up to winter duty.
I put a set of Bridgestone Alenza's on it then as they had great snow traction on my Tahoe so I figured they would work good on the 'nox. More tire noise on the 'nox than the Tahoe, I attribute that to less sound deadening in the 'nox.
42k miles on them now with the tread measuring at 6/32 . Good for at least another winter and through the summer as it's the wife's daily driver and being retired now there's no need to go to work in the snow.
The Bridgestone's did fine in the snow. They were OEM on the Tahoe BTW.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I used to live in the central rockies at a ski resort (Vail) average annual snowfall there was 500" IIRC.. The nice thing about that was they never salted the roads, it snowed so much the salt couldn't possibly melt all that snow so they just plowed a lot and used sand.. Far less rust issues than here in MI. I spray anti corrosion stuff on the undercarriage each fall and do lots of underbody washes during winter but they still manage to rust here.. I'm really staying on top of the terrain (19' Denali) and if I can go 10 years w/o visible rust I'll be really happy
I also do plenty of high pressure underbody washes during the winter, but my lower rear control arms still rusted out after 6.5 years here in PA. Although, I don't apply undercoating or anything. My friends and family have vehicles 10+ years old, driven in the same environment, and have no rust issues. Could just be a GM thing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Woohoo! Just ordered CrossClimate2's from Costco as it looks like their supply just came in. For any Canadians out there looking at these, now is the time to get them. Costco has a $130 rebate on Michelins. Out the door price $955 CAD. Other tire shops only mentioned a $70 rebate on these and none could get within $100 of Costco price.

Reactions: bigb12359
1 - 20 of 44 Posts